The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like the style of the aviator logo, but feel the motif of an aviator doesn't quite suit the Canucks.

Here's a quick concept of Johnny Canuck in the aviator style

johnnycanuckjersey.jpg

Nice work.

I agree about the aviator. What does aviating have anything to do with Vancouver?

This is a good concept. Maybe add the stick over the shoulder in there somehow.

I really like the first and last one. But I really think we shouldn't change our primary logos every some years. It would be better if we made our current third jerseys as our home, and then have the away ones as the same but in white and then have a new third jersey.

Preferably this:

WhiteLightning-VAN.png

24883d1399491195-new-premier-dealer-netw

I agree about the aviator. What does aviating have anything to do with Vancouver?

This is a good concept. Maybe add the stick over the shoulder in there somehow.

It's a reference to the comic book character Johnny Canuck who was a WW2 pilot.

"Lightweight fans". Classy. People who disagree with you are no less a fan of this team then you. Hate to break it to you.

As for the logo change. I am for a change, but not against keeping things as is. If we were to go Vintage I'd like too see the Skate, or the stick in the rink. A Johnny Canuck logo would be cool, maybe as a 3rd jersey.

I am referring to how many constantly look for change and unfortunately for many any change seems to do. I stand by what I said bud. It is more than past time for some stability.

My advice is, get behind the team, get behind the players, get behind the management, get behind the logo, get behind the intro and start developing an attention span.

This is what other fans see and think Canucks. It's cool!

1xTuFZ3.png

I haven't heard the team is going to nor do I think they should rebrand. It's about bringing back pride in this team, not giving up and going with something new.

Plus, Luo was such a big part of bringing Johnny Canuck back into use that using that symbol only reminds fans of him and how badly this organization handled him and the situation.

We've had enough cosmetic changes. What we need now is the far more substantial kind. That's what the team has been doing this offseason and where our focus should be too.

It's a reference to the comic book character Johnny Canuck who was a WW2 pilot.

Ah right. But still that was not a specific BC character. Actually according to Wikipedia, Johnny Canuck was originally created as a political cartoon character in 1869 as a lumberjack. But also a dressed as a habitant, farmer, rancher, or soldier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Canuck

The emerging NHL Vancouver team naturally adopted the earlier lumberjack version instead of the more national WW2 aviator comic hero or the Captain Canuck superhero version.

But that horrid logo they came up with is gawdawful. A lumberjack trying to run across the ice on skates?! How stupid is that. It also gives the impression that he is running away from something.

What the Canucks needed instead of the Orca design was a fierce new lumberjack Johnny Canuck design. Giants stole it after we passed on it. Too bad we missed the opportunity. We gotta stick with what we have now.

Being a diehard Canuck fan like all of you, I respect everyones opinions here!

Ever since McCaw & Orca Bay introduced the birthing whale with the constipated grin coming out of the c with the great Mark Messier in 1997, there has been a divide amongst fans liking & hating the logo!

Honestly, Ive despised it since day one & refused to purchase any Orca Canuck paraphernalia!

I was very disappointed when the Aquillinis dropped the ball on not changing the logo when they had the chance at the redesigned RBK jersey showing at GM Place back in 2007! They only got the colours right!

I have the vintage stick in rink, the speeding skate & the millionaire v jerseys! Wear them proudly on game nights!

Sorry to the Orcalite masses out there, but the whale has got to go!

Reasons being that it is not a true representation & definition of a Canuck! A Canuck has nothing to do with whales or the west coast. A Caunck is a national identity of a Canadian, in particular a French Canadian.

Canucks name should be on the same level in national branding as Les Canadiens or the Maple Leafs, unfortunately without the success of winning a Stanley Cup.

It reminds of one of the many hockey conversations I had with an elderly neighbour about the Canucks. Before the 94 Stanley Cup finals, he told me that the Canucks wont win the Cup. I responded to him because the Canucks are underdogs against the Rangers. He emphatically no! He said even if the Canucks are the favorites, theyll lose because of the curse! Curse, what curse!?! Do you mean the 1970 NHL draft roulette wheel curse! I sarcastically laughed! No, he replied. The Johnny Canuck Curse! Because the old WHL Canucks were a success winning Cups with Johnny Canuck! Tom Scallen, the original NHL Canucks owner, wanted a new identity with the stick in rink instead of the good luck charm of Johnny Canuck as a primary logo. He finished off by saying, When the NHL Canucks give the due respect to Johnny Canuck, theyll finally win Lord Stanleys mug!

I laughed it off, thinking that hes just some crazy old man.

But then 2011 came with excitement & hope, only to suffer another disappointment. Im not usually superstitious, but I hauntingly remember that old mans reference to the curse!

Anyways, I love the blue, green & white colour scheme! Keep it!

Get rid of the Vancouver in front of the jersey, it looks ridiculous. Im pretty sure most NHL hockey fans are knowledgeable to know where the Canucks come from.

Get rid of the orca c logo because it is very cartoonish in its own right, the c looks like out of place with the stripe pattern of the jersey.

As for a new primary logo, dont particularly care for the Johnny head on top of the v for a primary logo.

I firmly believe Johnny Canuck as the primary logo would look good & sell very well in the same blue, green & white colour scheme with different stripe pattern. The stick in rink, as the secondary logo on the shoulder patches & as a main logo on a third alternate jersey with the current stripe design.

I hope that the Aquillinis & Trevor Linden get it right, once and for all!

Being a diehard Canuck fan like all of you, I respect everyones opinions here!

Ever since McCaw & Orca Bay introduced the birthing whale with the constipated grin coming out of the c with the great Mark Messier in 1997, there has been a divide amongst fans liking & hating the logo!

Honestly, Ive despised it since day one & refused to purchase any Orca Canuck paraphernalia!

I was very disappointed when the Aquillinis dropped the ball on not changing the logo when they had the chance at the redesigned RBK jersey showing at GM Place back in 2007! They only got the colours right!

I have the vintage stick in rink, the speeding skate & the millionaire v jerseys! Wear them proudly on game nights!

Sorry to the Orcalite masses out there, but the whale has got to go!

Reasons being that it is not a true representation & definition of a Canuck! A Canuck has nothing to do with whales or the west coast. A Caunck is a national identity of a Canadian, in particular a French Canadian.

Canucks name should be on the same level in national branding as Les Canadiens or the Maple Leafs, unfortunately without the success of winning a Stanley Cup.

It reminds of one of the many hockey conversations I had with an elderly neighbour about the Canucks. Before the 94 Stanley Cup finals, he told me that the Canucks wont win the Cup. I responded to him because the Canucks are underdogs against the Rangers. He emphatically no! He said even if the Canucks are the favorites, theyll lose because of the curse! Curse, what curse!?! Do you mean the 1970 NHL draft roulette wheel curse! I sarcastically laughed! No, he replied. The Johnny Canuck Curse! Because the old WHL Canucks were a success winning Cups with Johnny Canuck! Tom Scallen, the original NHL Canucks owner, wanted a new identity with the stick in rink instead of the good luck charm of Johnny Canuck as a primary logo. He finished off by saying, When the NHL Canucks give the due respect to Johnny Canuck, theyll finally win Lord Stanleys mug!

I laughed it off, thinking that hes just some crazy old man.

But then 2011 came with excitement & hope, only to suffer another disappointment. Im not usually superstitious, but I hauntingly remember that old mans reference to the curse!

Anyways, I love the blue, green & white colour scheme! Keep it!

Get rid of the Vancouver in front of the jersey, it looks ridiculous. Im pretty sure most NHL hockey fans are knowledgeable to know where the Canucks come from.

Get rid of the orca c logo because it is very cartoonish in its own right, the c looks like out of place with the stripe pattern of the jersey.

As for a new primary logo, dont particularly care for the Johnny head on top of the v for a primary logo.

I firmly believe Johnny Canuck as the primary logo would look good & sell very well in the same blue, green & white colour scheme with different stripe pattern. The stick in rink, as the secondary logo on the shoulder patches & as a main logo on a third alternate jersey with the current stripe design.

I hope that the Aquillinis & Trevor Linden get it right, once and for all!

Did it ever occur to you the A's were actually trying to get some kind of consistency of identity going.

Boston's "B" is boring and old school but it immediately identifies them, as does the Pens and their comic looking penguin.

Honestly I would be saying the same about the stick in rink or dare I say it the skate. At the end of the day it's not about which is the fans favourite, you will never get everyone to agree anyway and even some of those who agree one week will want it changed the next after a few bad results.

It's about Identity and we went game 7 and won two PT's with our present identity. It's how we are recognised and people who keep moaning should find a hobby.

Tell you what let's have a competition and change it every year like they do in soccer and lose all credible identity.

Yep, the Oakland As, the Boston Bruins B, and the Pittsburgh Penguins logos all have 2 things in common: they've won ultimate championships with them & most importantly their logos make sense!

The Orca logo does not make sense & does not truly reflect the identity & definition of a Canuck!

As well, the orca looks comical in it's own right with it's cheap rip offs from other teams logos (c closely resembles the Canadiens c logo & the breaking parts of the c from the Sharks breaking the stick). Wow, the orca logo is it's own identity, ya right!

Two Presidents Trophies & the 2011 Stanley Cup Loss, really!?! Every Canadian kid wants to win a Presidents Trophy over a Stanley Cup!!! Give me a break!

In recent polls about this topic, on average between 66% to 80% of respondents indicate that they would rather have a different primary logo. Whether it be the Stick In Rink, the Speeding Skate, or Johnny Canuck, the majority want to get rid of the Orca logo all together.

On Team 1040, their poll results showed 54% in favour of the stick in rink logo over the 12% in favour of the current orca logo.

You don't like the Johnny Canuck logo, that's fine! You have your opinion. I & many other Canuck fans have our opinions.

I really don't care what the possible new/old logo is going to be, if there is going to be a change. As long as it makes sense to the Canuck definition & identity! If the Canucks want to keep the current orca logo or some variation of the orca logo, then (God forbid) change the nickname of the team to the Vancouver Whales, Vancouver Orcas, etc... then you'll have my support for the Orca.

It is unfortunate that many Canuck fans have drunk the Orca Bay koolaid & bought those jerseys with their hard earned money!

However many mutual Canuck fans Ive talked to agree the Orca was a corporate symbol that was erroneously force fed to us to symbolize our team identity & the time has come to retire the Orca all together. And hope that, what ever the Aquillinis & Trevor Linden decide to replace it with, the new jerseys with whatever logo (except the Orca) will be a resounding success on & off the ice!

Ah right. But still that was not a specific BC character. Actually according to Wikipedia, Johnny Canuck was originally created as a political cartoon character in 1869 as a lumberjack. But also a dressed as a habitant, farmer, rancher, or soldier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Canuck

The emerging NHL Vancouver team naturally adopted the earlier lumberjack version instead of the more national WW2 aviator comic hero or the Captain Canuck superhero version.

But that horrid logo they came up with is gawdawful. A lumberjack trying to run across the ice on skates?! How stupid is that. It also gives the impression that he is running away from something.

What the Canucks needed instead of the Orca design was a fierce new lumberjack Johnny Canuck design. Giants stole it after we passed on it. Too bad we missed the opportunity. We gotta stick with what we have now.

I'm not a fan of it either, but if the Canucks were to use the running lumberjack I would prefer they do it as a circular logo like this: http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h398/coxjn9/Canucks-JustinCox.jpg?t=1340725150

I would like some consistency too though. If they were to switch logos, make it the LAST change. This franchise needs a stable identity. At least keep the colour scheme the same so we don't have 50 different colours in the stands.

johnny_canuck-jersey.jpg

The Canucks would have the best damn jersey in the history of the NHL (and probably all of sports) if they used this one. It's absolutely perfect because it has the original team colours, the logo makes reference to what the name Canucks originally started from, and it has no ties to Orca Bay or any other corporate entity.

Personally I think the very first Canucks stick-and-rink logo is an aboslute joke and lacks even a bit of originality or creativity. Plus it was a whoring out to CBC since they had a very similar logo at the time. The modernized version of the stick-and-rink logo looks decent but it's also fairly uninspired. I'd much rather see that Johnny Canuck guy on the shoulder.

This is the one I mean:

Vancouverlogo.png

Yep, the Oakland As, the Boston Bruins B, and the Pittsburgh Penguins logos all have 2 things in common: they've won ultimate championships with them & most importantly their logos make sense!

The Orca logo does not make sense & does not truly reflect the identity & definition of a Canuck!

As well, the orca looks comical in it's own right with it's cheap rip offs from other teams logos (c closely resembles the Canadiens c logo & the breaking parts of the c from the Sharks breaking the stick). Wow, the orca logo is it's own identity, ya right!

Two Presidents Trophies & the 2011 Stanley Cup Loss, really!?! Every Canadian kid wants to win a Presidents Trophy over a Stanley Cup!!! Give me a break!

In recent polls about this topic, on average between 66% to 80% of respondents indicate that they would rather have a different primary logo. Whether it be the Stick In Rink, the Speeding Skate, or Johnny Canuck, the majority want to get rid of the Orca logo all together.

On Team 1040, their poll results showed 54% in favour of the stick in rink logo over the 12% in favour of the current orca logo.

You don't like the Johnny Canuck logo, that's fine! You have your opinion. I & many other Canuck fans have our opinions.

I really don't care what the possible new/old logo is going to be, if there is going to be a change. As long as it makes sense to the Canuck definition & identity! If the Canucks want to keep the current orca logo or some variation of the orca logo, then (God forbid) change the nickname of the team to the Vancouver Whales, Vancouver Orcas, etc... then you'll have my support for the Orca.

It is unfortunate that many Canuck fans have drunk the Orca Bay koolaid & bought those jerseys with their hard earned money!

However many mutual Canuck fans Ive talked to agree the Orca was a corporate symbol that was erroneously force fed to us to symbolize our team identity & the time has come to retire the Orca all together. And hope that, what ever the Aquillinis & Trevor Linden decide to replace it with, the new jerseys with whatever logo (except the Orca) will be a resounding success on & off the ice!

So lets get this right Boston is known for it's bears and Pitsburgh for it's penguins. Really.

In the 1920s, Charles Adams held a city-wide contest to name his new Boston hockey team. Because the colors of his Brookside Grocery Stores were brown and yellow, he insisted that the team wear those same colors. He also wanted the team to be named after an animal known for its strength, agility, ferocity, and cunning. The public contest came up with the Bruins, meaning a large, ferocious bear.

Way to go Boston, they got their colours from a department store and called themselves Bruins because a bear is fierce. They don't even play with a ferocious bear but a boring "B" The Canucks have "Vancouver" across their jersey, how's that for identity?

Boston makes our colours and Orca (killer whale found in pods off BC) even more commendable I'd say. I mean an Orca would kick the sh-t out of bear any day, surely.

As for Pittsburgh, this one is really deep.

The team was named by Carol McGregor, who was the wife of the original owner of the franchise, Pennsylvania State Senator, Jack McGregor. She claimed it natural since the team was playing in an arena which locals called "The Igloo"

As for the colours, this one's even better.

"On Jan. 30, 1980, the Penguins wore black and gold for the first time. With the Steelers winning the Super Bowl and the Pirates capturing the World Series title in the same year, the struggling Penguins hoped to gain fan support by aligning their colors with the other teams in the “City of Champions.”

Chicago Blackhawks

Owner Frederic McLaughlin named the team in 1926 after the 86th Infantry Division, the “Black Hawk division” he served in during World War I

Food for thought?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-team-names/

The Canucks would have the best damn jersey in the history of the NHL (and probably all of sports) if they used this one. It's absolutely perfect because it has the original team colours, the logo makes reference to what the name Canucks originally started from, and it has no ties to Orca Bay or any other corporate entity.

Personally I think the very first Canucks stick-and-rink logo is an aboslute joke and lacks even a bit of originality or creativity. Plus it was a whoring out to CBC since they had a very similar logo at the time. The modernized version of the stick-and-rink logo looks decent but it's also fairly uninspired. I'd much rather see that Johnny Canuck guy on the shoulder.

This is the one I mean:

Vancouverlogo.png

The stick in rink is already represented in the goggles of the pilot, so it might not be necessary to have them again as patches. I would be concerned about having too many different logos on one jersey at that point though.

Archived