The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

oh and as some have suggested that other teams' fan bases will be confused as to what a canuck is, i certainly don't believe that they will be confused between the popular perception of it being a slang term for canadians chopping trees and playing ice hockey for sport and hawaiians hunting animals.

So you think Canuck springs to mind whenever an American sees a lumberjack or a pilot? I suspect lumberjack and pilot are more likely to spring to their mind.

The orca isn't meant to represent nor define 'Canuck'. It's meant to represent WHERE the team plays. It forms a 'C' to represent Canucks. Which is why it's among the best logos in the league as it represents both where the team plays and the team name.

Btw, the term 'Canuck' was used in the Pacific Northwest in reference to Hawaiians working the fur trade. So perhaps we should use a large Hawaiian in fur coat and coon cap holding a hockey stick as our logo to better represent where our team is playing. It would be more applicable than an eastern based political cartoon character.

How the term 'Canuck' came about is open to debate. But one speculation is that it actually originated from those those Hawaiian fur traders here in the Pacific Northwest. In their language they referred to themselves as 'Kanaka' (human being). As the French also worked the fur trade in the Pacific Northwest they fell into the same Anglo/American slang 'Canuck'. But that's just one version.

The orca isn't meant to represent nor define 'Canuck'. It's meant to represent WHERE the team plays. It forms a 'C' to represent Canucks. Which is why it's among the best logos in the league as it represents both where the team plays and the team name.

Btw, the term 'Canuck' was used in the Pacific Northwest in reference to Hawaiians working the fur trade. So perhaps we should use a large Hawaiian in fur coat and coon cap holding a hockey stick as our logo to better represent where our team is playing. It would be more applicable than an eastern based political cartoon character.

How the term 'Canuck' came about is open to debate. But one speculation is that it actually originated from those those Hawaiian fur traders here in the Pacific Northwest. In their language they referred to themselves as 'Kanaka' (human being). As the French also worked the fur trade in the Pacific Northwest they fell into the same Anglo/American slang 'Canuck'. But that's just one version.

Your personal 'always' doesn't change history.

The term 'Canuck' originated as a derogatory term used towards Hawaiians & French in the Pacific Northwest working the fur trade and in the northeast US it was used towards the French working in the lumber industry. Meaning it was originally a term used not towards Canadians in general towards people of particular origins and in particular fields of work. This was decades before Canada became an independent country and many decades before it ever became a term used towards Canadians in general. This could be why French Canadians have taken considerably more offense to the term than Anglo Canadians even more than a century after the Johnny Canuck cartoon character was ever created. Anglo's embraced the term while Francophone's, the ones most directly insulted with the term, continued to be offended.

Pineapple picking fur traders? Wow. There's a nice racist remark. Perhaps you're the constipated one. You seem full of something.

My idea of using the Hawaiian fur trader as the logo was because at least it pertains to where the team plays as opposed to the eastern Canada created lumberjack Canuck. Seeing as the term was used towards the fur trade here as opposed to the lumber industry it would make considerably more sense.

Personally I'd prefer to keep the Orca than switch to an eastern created cartoon character.

have a look at the original logo. does johnny look like a hawaiian to you? as i said, there is a historical paper chase for johnny canuck and then there is popular culture. i am guessing that most would more associate j. canuck with being a canadian lumberjack. french? french canadian? maybe. fur trade? i don't know. hawaiian? don't think so. northeast u.s? no. frankly, i don't see why a french canadian would be offended by being called a canuck. it is a popular and positive terminology. political correct? i don't giver flying rats a** about pc. statistics often will reveal that the whinning group of squealing pc'ers are the minority and only become relevant because they screech louder than the rest who just get on with it. as i have said, go to johnny canuck and you will have a logo that is relevant to it's team and the sport they play. it will last

Thank you for proving my point! You said the orca isn't meant to represent nor define 'Canuck'.

Yes, a Canuck is not a whale! Canucks don't play in the ocean!

Which is why it's among the best "ill-defined & misconceived" logos in the league, as it doesnot represent both where the team plays and the team name.

I think you're grasping at straws by talking about Hawaiians in the fur trade being referred to Canucks.

I'm all for the Canucks retiring the constipated orca at the toilet logo for anything else. Whether that anything else could be Johnny Canuck, Stick -in-Rink, Speeding Skate, etc!!!

Or change the name of the team to the Whales, the Orcas, the Killer Whales, the Blackfish, etc.... I'm all for that too because it is the true definition of the current ugly orca logo. It would need to be tweaked to reflect the name change!

So you think Canuck springs to mind whenever an American sees a lumberjack or a pilot? I suspect lumberjack and pilot are more likely to spring to their mind.

hey?? those fan bases around the league are not going to the airshow or the log rolling event at the PNE. when they see the canucks come out onto the ice and wonder about the logo, they will think canada, lumberjacks, maple syrup and ice hockey. it works if you let it

have a look at the original logo. does johnny look like a hawaiian to you? as i said, there is a historical paper chase for johnny canuck and then there is popular culture. i am guessing that most would more associate j. canuck with being a canadian lumberjack. french? french canadian? maybe. fur trade? i don't know. hawaiian? don't think so. northeast u.s? no. frankly, i don't see why a french canadian would be offended by being called a canuck. it is a popular and positive terminology. political correct? i don't giver flying rats a** about pc. statistics often will reveal that the whinning group of squealing pc'ers are the minority and only become relevant because they screech louder than the rest who just get on with it. as i have said, go to johnny canuck and you will have a logo that is relevant to it's team and the sport they play. it will last

Speeding Skate logo was around longer (19 years) compared to the Constipated Orca (17 years)! Still it didn't stop the team owners from changing the logo.

The Orca logo is an old & flawed corporate logo from the McCaw era!

It's time for the Aquillinis & Trevor Linden to correct this flawed design and representation for the Canucks! And hope once & for all, they get it right!

Thank you for proving my point! You said the orca isn't meant to represent nor define 'Canuck'.

Yes, a Canuck is not a whale! Canucks don't play in the ocean!

Which is why it's among the best "ill-defined & misconceived" logos in the league, as it doesnot represent both where the team plays and the team name.

I think you're grasping at straws by talking about Hawaiians in the fur trade being referred to Canucks.

I'm all for the Canucks retiring the constipated orca at the toilet logo for anything else. Whether that anything else could be Johnny Canuck, Stick -in-Rink, Speeding Skate, etc!!!

Or change the name of the team to the Whales, the Orcas, the Killer Whales, the Blackfish, etc.... I'm all for that too because it is the true definition of the current ugly orca logo. It would need to be tweaked to reflect the name change!

That's nothing more than your own biased closed mind spewing nonsense. You conveniently ignore the part about "C" standing for Canucks and the Orca to rep where the teams plays. Btw, Canucks do "play" in the ocean. Fishing is a huge industry and past time on the west coast. Not to mention being a destination market for whale watching.

Hawaiians and French in the fur trade were in fact referred to as "Canucks" in the Pacific Northwest. Hawaiians worked in the fur trade here from the late 1700's to the early 1800's.

Have wandered around Vancouver at all? You find the Orca everywhere. From artwork to jewelry to postcards. Vancouver is known worldwide for whale watching. BC is also known worldwide for native art. BC ships more native art worldwide than anyplace else in North America. Shaped in a "C" to represent "Canuck". Which is why the logo is very appropriate for a Vancouver team.

We are all Canucks. "Canuck" is a slang term for Canadian and nothing more. So how do you realistically portray a Canadian? Are we all lumberjacks? No. Are we all pilots? No. Just as we aren't a bunch of fur traders. Which is why the "C" is better than pigeonholing us something as ridiculously specific as a cartoon character believe everybody will get it.

Everybody has their favorite. Mine is the Orca logo. You should just leave it at "I don't like the orca logo" instead of the diarrhea your spewing in a feeble attempt to discredit it. Gather 1000 Canucks fans of various ages and I'll guarantee you won't get 50% to agree on what the logo should be. Only 35% in this poll want Johnny Canuck. But then this poll was only a choice of Johnny or stay the same. Complaining about the logo will never end. Every version has it's share of fans. Even the hideous Flying V and boring stick in rink. So do we change every few years so there's a rotation of happy fans or do we make a stand with one and use vary the third more? I say leave the Orca and vary the third more.

Since there is some obvious confusion about the etymology of the term Canuck, this is it's origin:

Canuck (n.) dictionary.gif 1835, perhaps a cross between Canada and Chinook, the native people in the Columbia River region. In U.S., often but not always derogatory. As an adjective from 1853.

When a sentence has "perhaps" as a key word, it doesn't scream confidence in it's accuracy. That's simply one of the many theories as to the origin. And there are many theories. The factual origin simply isn't known and can't be proven. Every version is just speculation.

Although I believe that particular version is unlikely. West of the Rockies wasn't actually part of Canada until 1871. I don't really think the origin of the term had anything to do with Canada at all when it was created. The one common thread between the Northeast US theory (lumber industry) and the Northwest theory (the fur trade) is that it was used towards the French in both. Using it as a general Canadian reference came decades later.

Really, Alf!?! You spent the BC Day holiday to try to convince me otherwise about Johnny Canuck being a better logo? You should have been basking out in the sun & enjoying the day! Instead you're sitting in front of the computer. That's really sad & I feel sorry for you! You need to really get a grip of yourself, dude! Otherwise, you're as pathetic as that Constipated Orca logo!

As Sekeres on Team 1040 would say, " You are the Mayor of Wrongsville!"

You're comparing almost a 100 year old team (ie. Boston) to a 44 year old team. At least, the Boston fans got to pick their team name. As well, thank you for proving my point, Boston has gone through several different logos until they got it right! Their B in the spoked wheel is an original 6 classic logo!

Yes, there are no Penguins running around Pittsburgh, but they had to find a name and of course they picked it because of the old Igloo arena. I get it & it makes sense!

Just like there are no kings running around LA, no flames burned down Calgary, etc...

The Canuck name is not a whale, period! If you like the logo so much, phone up Linden & tell him to change their name to the Whales, Killer Whales, or the Orcas! That would make sense!

Vancouver splashed across the jersey is really unnecessary & makes it looked cluttered. No other team has their city name splashed across their jerseys! Why? Because NHL hockey fans are intelligent enough to know where the teams come from! Only Leafs & Capitals have the city names on their jerseys, but those city names are incorporated into their logos.

Again everyone is entitled to their opinions, I just hope the Aquillinis & Trevor Linden do the right thing by getting rid of the orca logo!

PJ how old are you? I ask because we have laptops now and I was out on the lake in my brother's boat most of the day fishing. Post itself took about 5 mins.

Your seem to like to resort to personal comments, what does that say about you?

Good luck with your crusade, but I fear you are destined for bitter disappointment.

At the end of the day the point I've tried to put across to you is it doesn't matter how a gift is wrapped it's what's inside that counts but that appears to be wasted on you.

FYI that post took just over 90 secs.

When a sentence has "perhaps" as a key word, it doesn't scream confidence in it's accuracy. That's simply one of the many theories as to the origin. And there are many theories. The factual origin simply isn't known and can't be proven. Every version is just speculation.

Although I believe that particular version is unlikely. West of the Rockies wasn't actually part of Canada until 1871. I don't really think the origin of the term had anything to do with Canada at all when it was created. The one common thread between the Northeast US theory (lumber industry) and the Northwest theory (the fur trade) is that it was used towards the French in both. Using it as a general Canadian reference came decades later.

the "perhap"s is only in reference to it's formation as a compound word, not it's use/origin.

I'd still love to see any reference with it being used towards a Hawaiian.

Archived