The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lightning re-sign Ben Bishop

It also goes to show you what the market is like for goalies. And that a 9th overall pick for Cory Schneider all of a sudden doesn't look so bad.

9th overall is still bad return fr schnieds. Gills was an idiot when it came to that situation, if he had traded Cory after 2011 we prolly would of gotten a lot more.

That's a high cap hit for someone who's only had 1 good season, but considering he was a Vezina finalist, it's hard to argue that he should get less.

Exactly this. Bishop wasn't going to get less than this, but it might prove to be an overpayment by the time mid-season hits.

He's huge in the net. That's it. Size counts for a lot in this league, but that's literally all he has going for him. Regardless, probably the best goalie the Lightning have had since Nikolai Khabibulin...

He's huge in the net. That's it. Size counts for a lot in this league, but that's literally all he has going for him.

Weird that lindback who is basically the exact same size played for the exact same team but had horrible numbers... "Literally".

9th overall is still bad return fr schnieds. Gills was an idiot when it came to that situation, if he had traded Cory after 2011 we prolly would of gotten a lot more.

:picard:

Name me a better return. Here are some goalie trades, and they all are MUCH worse than the one for Schneids.

Fasth - 3rd and 5th
Bryz - 4th
Scrivens - 3rd
Bernier - Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd
Miller (rental) - Halak and some fraction of a high 20s 1st or Chris Stewart (so a 3rd or 2nd?)
Halak - 4th (rental) OR Neuvirth, Klesla
Just like this article mentions, the best that can be expected for a good starter is a mid 1st rounder. We got a high first for our backup. Schneider fans are incredibly out to lunch.

Great deal, Bishop is a top 5 goalie in the league if he can keep it up from last year which I believe he will. To think that STL had this guy and let him go for a 2nd rounder...

Or OTT let go of him for Cory Conacher, who was later put on waivers and claimed by BUF, essentially giving away Bishop...hindsight is 20/20, but wow, those are foolish mistakes

I thought it was a awful deal for tampa when that trade happen but now it looks like steel of the year but opposite of what i thought :lol:

Name me a better return. Here are some goalie trades, and they all are MUCH worse than the one for Schneids.

Fasth - 3rd and 5th

Bryz - 4th

Scrivens - 3rd

Miller (rental) - Halak and some fraction of a high 20s 1st or Chris Stewart (so a 3rd or 2nd?)

Just like this article mentions, the best that can be expected for a good starter is a mid 1st rounder. We got a high first for our backup. Schneider fans are incredibly out to lunch.

New to hockey eh?

Again :picard:

Fasth - 3rd and 5th
Bryz - 4th
Scrivens - 3rd

It's because fans were posting ridiculous trades for Luongo involving guys like Gudbranson, so when the deal went down for Schneider they thought we got robbed.

Really everyone was just overvaluing the price of goalies.

It's because fans were posting ridiculous trades for Luongo involving guys like Gudbranson, so when the deal went down for Schneider they thought we got robbed.

Really everyone was just overvaluing the price of goalies.

This.

Archived