The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Enviro Disaster in Likely, BC as tailings pond breached at Mount Polley Mine

theminister

If its tailings from a gold mine then it should be just dirt and minerals nothing else the pictures I have seen look like a mudslide or a heavy rainfall.

Sure, that's all it is... In insane concentrations and quantities.

Most minerals are toxic to life in anything more than trace amounts.

Don't worry everyone, everything is going to be fine. According to the President of Imperial Metals the water is almost drinkable.

I really want to see him drink a fat glass of the stuff.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1493170/water-from-breached-tailings-pond-near-likely-b-c-almost-drinkable-imperial-metals-president/

According to a friend of mine, her Uncle took his boat out onto Quensel Lake as he has a cabin up on the lake. He said the water was green and actually bubbling. He had to turn the boat around because it started to get hot from a chemical reaction in the water.

Don't worry everyone, everything is going to be fine. According to the President of Imperial Metals the water is almost drinkable.

I really want to see him drink a fat glass of the stuff.

Exactly, I couldn't help think that myself as I looked at his bottle of Dasani on the table in front of him. I woulda loved to see someone hand him a glass of creek water and said here, put your money where your mouth is.

What was the makeup of the sludge?

An Environment Canada filing from Mount Polley Mine lists all the substances disposed of in the tailings pond – including manganese, cadmium, phosphorous and mercury.

But it is not known how mobile those substances are.

Substances listed as disposed “on-site” in Imperial Metals’ 2013 Mount Polley Mine report (Note: It’s unclear how mobile these solids were, how much was in water, if any, and how much spilled as solids, if any)

• Phosphorus – 41,640 tonnes
  • Manganese – 20,988 tonnes
  • Copper – 18,413 tonnes
  • Vanadium – 5,047 tonnes
  • Zinc – 2,169 tonnes
  • Cobalt – 475 tonnes
  • Nickel – 326 tonnes
  • Antimony – 14 tonnes
  • Arsenic – 406,122 kg
  • Lead – 177,041 kg
  • Selenium – 46,136 kg
  • Cadmium – 6,487 kg
  • Mercury – 3,114 kg

If its tailings from a gold mine then it should be just dirt and minerals nothing else the pictures I have seen look like a mudslide or a heavy rainfall.

See above, shouldn't be an issue right?

I can't believe someone reported my post lol.

I made that statement sarcastically, next time I'll redflag it as obviously that. Of course this is a disaster but nothing is going to change and you're a fool if you think it will. This government will say all the right things about how they're gonna look into this and this kind of thing can't happen again and blah blah blah and then they'll turn around and tell you how great mining and LNG and all these other resource extraction plans are gonna save the economy and education and blah blah blah.

Even if this really was just an accident and not negligence or some other attributable error these accidents are going to be more and more frequent as infrastructure fails and companies pay less and less attention to maintenance of said infrastructure. And this government is not going to require anything substantive to change because that's contrary to the fundamental position of this government.

Same old same old.

Once again inane, you seem to be an immense troll.

This was negligence and was avoidable. Just because you lack the sense to see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Once again inane, you seem to be an immense troll.

This was negligence and was avoidable. Just because you lack the sense to see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Where in my post did I say it wasn't negligence or avoidable? I don't know who you are but you sure seem to have an irrational thing for me...

The investors are socking to them today...their market cap is down over $400 million on this news. Good ol' Murray Edwards, one of the owners of the Calgary Flames has seen his net worth drop over $120 million in one day over this debacle. Not likely, but lets see if the government has the cajones to make Imperial accountable for their actions.

Could be a good entry point into the stock. It's not like it's their only mine or that the price of copper is very high at the moment in the event they have to close it down for a while.

Just another example of careless,greedy corporations.

The owners of your username or likeness just recordeded record profits.

In good news, I am sure you will be there for Star Wars 7 when it comes out.

Feel free to trash them, and win lots of friends. Just make sure you don't stop giving them your money.

Thanks in advance!

I can't believe someone reported my post lol.

I made that statement sarcastically, next time I'll redflag it as obviously that. Of course this is a disaster but nothing is going to change and you're a fool if you think it will. This government will say all the right things about how they're gonna look into this and this kind of thing can't happen again and blah blah blah and then they'll turn around and tell you how great mining and LNG and all these other resource extraction plans are gonna save the economy and education and blah blah blah.

Even if this really was just an accident and not negligence or some other attributable error these accidents are going to be more and more frequent as infrastructure fails and companies pay less and less attention to maintenance of said infrastructure. And this government is not going to require anything substantive to change because that's contrary to the fundamental position of this government.

Same old same old.

So what's the solution? No mining? No resource extraction?

Contrary to popular opinion, enviromental regulation, monitoring, protection, and restoration plans are stronger than they have ever been.

In the bad old days they probably wouldn't even bother with a talings pond. Things have improved light years over the last few decades.

But hey, why let facts get in the way of some good rhetoric?

So what's the solution? No mining? No resource extraction?

Contrary to popular opinion, enviromental regulation, monitoring, protection, and restoration plans are stronger than they have ever been.

In the bad old days they probably wouldn't even bother with a talings pond. Things have improved light years over the last few decades.

But hey, why let facts get in the way of some good rhetoric?

Ron why would you assume the alternative is automatically the extreme opposite. Thus kind of bs makes you sound ridiculous.

But I like your argument. Hey things are better than they used to be so shut up and be happy with that. Keep improving? Make things better? Nah..it's good enough.

I cant believe this stuff happens, we are destroying the planet, and their is no end.

Think of the effect this is going to have on the ecosystem. Millions of fish will die from this bull crap, and because those fish were never able to spawn, trillions will never be born, what about the wildlife that depend on these waters?

The human species is a greedy bunch, its only getting worse.

Archived