The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Enviro Disaster in Likely, BC as tailings pond breached at Mount Polley Mine

theminister

It's such a tough call...

The mine operators certainly deserve to pay for this mess, but do we really want to throw all of those people out of work?

Perhaps (as I believe inane is suggesting) if the penalties for such transgressions actually had some teeth...Maybe if the guys in charge were fined out of their own pockets instead of the company's, or maybe even faced some jail time and the criminal record that would accompany it.....

The penalties do have teeth and you can face jail time.

Let's actually see what happens instead of speculating.

Seems like the initial reports say they ignored warnings to build up the pond as levels were beyond the height they should have been. They WERE responsible, but ignored them? So how many strikes before someone's out?

If that's the case then they will be in big trouble. But early reports are just that.

They should be responsible for the costs to mitigate the problems and (for example) the costs of the impacts once the investigation is complete.

In the short term making sure nobody gets hurt and prioritising containment are the priorities obviously.

If that's the case then they will be in big trouble. But early reports are just that.

They should be responsible for the costs to mitigate the problems and (for example) the costs of the impacts once the investigation is complete.

In the short term making sure nobody gets hurt and prioritising containment are the priorities obviously.

The issue Ron is you can't mitigate this. Yeah you can throw money at it and promise to do better etc but no matter what you do you're not gonna have them pay the true costs of this. That's where the grey area is because how do you value the environmental costs now, 5 years from now or 20?

The issue Ron is you can't mitigate this. Yeah you can throw money at it and promise to do better etc but no matter what you do you're not gonna have them pay the true costs of this. That's where the grey area is because how do you value the environmental costs now, 5 years from now or 20?

I am not an expert on this so I don't know how you do it. But you have to if you want to be able to do cost/benefit analysis.

One could ask how do you put a value on a human life? Well, people manage it, or we wouldn't be able to have an insurance industry or make a lot of decisions that get made.

So, we simply do the same thing.

I am not an expert on this so I don't know how you do it. But you have to if you want to be able to do cost/benefit analysis.

One could ask how do you put a value on a human life? Well, people manage it, or we wouldn't be able to have an insurance industry or make a lot of decisions that get made.

So, we simply do the same thing.

There is research done on the value of ecosystems, trees etc... But that's simply the 'engineering' values in terms of pollutants removed from the air, etc... not the intrinsic value, social value etc... Basically, the point is the ecosystem and its services are worth more than any company is going to mitigate for. It's the same with a little subdivision here in the Lower Mainland as it is for a mega project in the interior.

I went to high school there and my mom still lives there. Why do you ask?

Well it just seems that you have a very big wait and see perspective. I'm from the area and I'm pissed. When a 4m wide creek all of a sudden gets opened to 50m across I'm concerned. I'm actually kinda surprised that the president/gm or whatever didn't get punched out last night, there's alot of tough hillbillies back in them woods.

I just wonder what the effect would be if Vancouver or the lower mainland actually had industry and this happened down there?

There is research done on the value of ecosystems, trees etc... But that's simply the 'engineering' values in terms of pollutants removed from the air, etc... not the intrinsic value, social value etc... Basically, the point is the ecosystem and its services are worth more than any company is going to mitigate for. It's the same with a little subdivision here in the Lower Mainland as it is for a mega project in the interior.

Depending on where you set the values you might not end up with any projects or subdivisions. There are benefits to the enviroment for sure but at the same time there would be costs to economy and for people's quality of life.

So you might not like how things are balanced right now but there needs to be a balance whether you, or I, happen to agree with how it's done.

Well it just seems that you have a very big wait and see perspective. I'm from the area and I'm pissed. When a 4m wide creek all of a sudden gets opened to 50m across I'm concerned. I'm actually kinda surprised that the president/gm or whatever didn't get punched out last night, there's alot of tough hillbillies back in them woods.

I just wonder what the effect would be if Vancouver or the lower mainland actually had industry and this happened down there?

It has already happened the straight of georgia is mega polluted. It's getting better though.

We could shut down all the industries that cause risk to the environment but unles your a rancher you then be finding out for yourself what's going on in the lower mainland as that would be the only place left to work.

Actually there would be no jobs available there either.

The penalties do have teeth and you can face jail time.

Do they?

I suppose I can be forgiven for not knowing this, as I've never actually seen or heard of someone going to jail because a company they were in charge of caused significant environmental damage.

The thing about penalties being in place is that they have to be imposed to be effective.

Let the world pontificate and shuffle their feet while the cover up takes place .. I talked to friends in Likely and they could be devastated financially .. you can be sure the Government is busy covering a$$ and picking out their scapegoat.

It looks like the water released was actually drinking water quality. Odds are the toxic material are at the bottom of the pond with some sort of clay cap and then a protective layer on top to prevent leaching, with water on top in place to eliminate oxygen for the acid rock drainage process.

On that news I actually bought some shares on the cheap.

Let the world pontificate and shuffle their feet while the cover up takes place .. I talked to friends in Likely and they could be devastated financially .. you can be sure the Government is busy covering a$$ and picking out their scapegoat.

Don't worry some blood sucking lawyers are ready to get everyone together in a class action lawsut.

It has already happened the straight of georgia is mega polluted. It's getting better though.

We could shut down all the industries that cause risk to the environment but unles your a rancher you then be finding out for yourself what's going on in the lower mainland as that would be the only place left to work.

Actually there would be no jobs available there either.

As just getting back yesterday from my first trip down there in 6 years...no thanks. I'd rather keep hunting, fishing and farming. Ask yourself this...if gas and power were unavailable tomorrow and stayed that way for a year could you survive? How many would be fucked? As for industry up here I'm ashamed to admit I'm very much part of it and we are made to dump tons of shit in the Fraser...do I like it? No. Do I lose sleep over it? No, cuz fuck it, it ends up downstream and in the oceans & I make 120-150/year doing it :)

Yeah, they'll probably blame an electrician, or a beaver dam.

Archived