The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aaron Ekblad suffers concussion at Canada's junior camp

862629126.gif

BROSSARD, Quebec (AP) Top NHL draft pick Aaron Ekblad suffered a concussion in Canada's world junior exhibition game against the Czech Republic and will miss the rest of summer development camp.

The 18-year-old defenseman was hit hard during Monday night's 6-2 win over the Czech Republic and left the game.

Hockey Canada says Ekblad is expected to be ready for Florida Panthers training camp in September. Panthers general manager Dale Tallon echoed those sentiments, saying "We will closely monitor Aaron's health for the remainder of the offseason and expect him to be ready for our rookie camp in mid-September."

Ekblad played last season with the OHL's Barrie Colts.

http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2014/08/06/nhl-top-pick-ekblad-sidelined-with-concussion

Hopefully alright.

Ryan Rishaug@TSNRyanRishaug

Hockey Canada confirms Ekblad is concussed, though based on his tests it’s not a severe one, he will be heading home.

Saw Ekblad after the game walking around, joking with teammates. Seemed ok, update coming tomorrow.

Apparently he came out of the locker room after and told everyone he was alright.

Gord Miller@GMillerTSN

Ekblad popped out of the dressing room after the game, smiled and said he's ok.

Lukas Klok. 6'-0" 180lb '95er.

You might say Ekblad was... Kloked...

Had his... Klok... cleaned...

Had his... Klok... bell... rung...

... Or not.

Announcers during the game said the Czech player was 5'11" 161 lbs. And ya, it did not look good, Ekblad was on rubber legs on his way to the bench.

From the replay it looked like he got sandwhiched between two guys so both of these guys could have hit him.

Fortunately I've never been concussed before, but they say that even after only one concussion you are more prone to get others for a good number of years. If that happens a few more times in the next 3 years, Florida could have a situation on their hands.

Ekblad seems like a standup kinda guy, so I hope that it doesn't leave him open to more in the future.

Fortunately I've never been concussed before, but they say that even after only one concussion you are more prone to get others for a good number of years. If that happens a few more times in the next 3 years, Florida could have a situation on their hands.

Ekblad seems like a standup kinda guy, so I hope that it doesn't leave him open to more in the future.

That's overstated somewhat for people who haven't had them. Maybe there's a slight chance of sustaining another head injury if you've had a concussion at some point in the past, but the worry is getting another head injury before your brain's fully healed itself. But if you're like a boxer who can't keep from getting knocked out, it doesn't really matter what your history is.

Having a minor concussion like this one isn't likely to affect his career in any way. He'll recover and play and so long as he can learn to keep his head up when he's no longer playing against teenagers then he'll likely be fine.

GIF is a bit difficult to analyze but it looked like he got sandwitched, and #2 was definitely charging at him.

Also seems like each generation of hockey players seem to be becoming more brittle, John Tavares suffered a pretty bad one a couple times already. And Matt Stafford and Rob Griffen III of the NFL both suffered one already.

Good, don't ever get one. I've had a couple in my life, one from playing hockey and one from falling off the balcony. I get random headaches out of nowhere sometimes, makes me wonder if it's aneurysm related.

But players like Eric Lindros, Cam Neely, Craig Coxe and Pat LaFontaine had to retire early due to numerous concussions. I think Bob Probert's death was related to some brain damage he sustained over the years of being a heavyweight boxer on skates.

Boxing is a different matter, you wear these very puffy gloves and with training you develop a thick skull (damage bones = thicker and stronger structure once healed) and able to withstand more blows.

About the boxers developing a thick skull, that doesn't have anything to do with it since it's the brain bouncing around inside the skull that's the issue. That's why a knockout can occur with a hook to the chin where the concussion happens as a result of the head twisting rather than the punch itself driving any sort of impact directly to the skull (or even brain).

Similarly, it's likely that when you fell from the balcony, it wasn't your head hitting the ground causing the concussion but your brain coming to an abrupt stop against the inside of your skull a split second after your head hit the ground.

Archived