The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavid

CALGARY!

I know Mose are excited for the McDavid draft next summer, as well as the entire draft class. I'm just opening for discussion how great do we all think McDavid will actually be?

Admitted I have not seen much of him play, only 3 OHL games and the WJ tourney last season. But what I saw at the WJC, I saw a lot of differences between him and some of the current league superstars from there junior games. Now we all know junior success or failure isn't a sure sign of how a player will transition to the NHL, and, at this point I'd still love to see McDavid in Calgary, just on the hype.

But looking back at the WJC, granted he was the youngest player on the team, and I believe first or second youngest in the entire tourney, he was not the impact player that say Crosby was in his first WJC. I mean this year, I'm sure he will be a lot more dominant, but will he play like Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, Hall etc, and truly be the generational talent he is being touted as. I just don't know if I see him as being as crucial to a team as say Sid or Stammer. I guess we will learn more as this year foes by.

Anyone else find him underwhelming in the last WJC? I guess in fairness he was surrounded by the second youngest team Canada ever iced at the WJC.

I said in the World Junior Tournament that McDavid can put up 10-15 points in 6 games this tourney.

I can see him being a #1 scoring leader in the NHL at one point in his career with Crosby at #2 in about 4-5 years from now.

McDavid was always the best player on the ice when he was out there.

He'll be similar to John Tavares. Just a tier below Crosby, but still a franchise centre.

I know Tavers is a good player, but he can't carry a team like Croaby can. He's flat footed as a skater. I'm not saying he's not great but he's just not at all in the same league as Crosby, Toews, Kane. I don't think Taveres will leave behind a legacy like Croaby, Toews, Stamkos, Kane, Doughty.. I think Taveres will be remembered in 20 years as a guy who put up good points but wasn't an impact, game changer. I'm just wondering if McDavid won't be the same. I'm not saying he'll be another Alexander Daigle, but I just don't know that he'll be a guy who can single handly take a team from bottom feeder to cup champ

I know Tavers is a good player, but he can't carry a team like Croaby can. He's flat footed as a skater. I'm not saying he's not great but he's just not at all in the same league as Crosby, Toews, Kane. I don't think Taveres will leave behind a legacy like Croaby, Toews, Stamkos, Kane, Doughty.. I think Taveres will be remembered in 20 years as a guy who put up good points but wasn't an impact, game changer. I'm just wondering if McDavid won't be the same. I'm not saying he'll be another Alexander Daigle, but I just don't know that he'll be a guy who can single handly take a team from bottom feeder to cup champ

McDavid isn't. I can see McDavid carrying a team and making others look so good that they can almost make the Olympic Team like how Crosby does.

But what about Crosby, making a guy like Kunitz who was a 2nd/3rd line tweener, he put up good points in 07 but in 09 he put 35 points in 62 games and was looking like a 3rd liner but then it was like Crosby picked his career up when it was falling and got him onto Team Canada eventually. I don't think Crosby gets enough credit, a guy like Kunitz beat out players like Giroux and Hall. Sure Crosby and Kunitz have chemistry but Giroux and Hall are stars.

Tavares carried his crap team to the playoffs and actually challenged the pens who had a bunch of superstars. I'd say he is pretty damn good and he is carrying the islanders.

Before everyone goes dragging my skepticism up on the kid in next years draft I'll be watching him a lot closer this year, being his draft year, and especially with Calgary as one of his contending draft teams. I guess time will only tell.

Archived