The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Police investigating sprint-car incident reportedly involving Tony Stewart

Gross-Misconduct

I saw the footage on youtube and I dont think it's appropriate to link. I wont anyways.

Police investigating sprint-car incident reportedly involving Tony Stewart
Tom Jensen FOX Sports

AUG 10, 2014 12:18a ET

The Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff's Department confirmed to FOXSports.com late Saturday night that it is investigating an incident that occurred during a dirt-track race at Canandaigua Motorsports Park, reportedly involving three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Tony Stewart and another driver.

According to multiple unconfirmed reports, Stewart was involved in an on-track incident with driver Kevin Ward Jr., with Stewart's car allegedly striking Ward after he got out of his car to confront Stewart about earlier contact between the two. Late Saturday night, a video allegedly showing the incident hit YouTube. In it, shocked fans sob and scream that Stewart ran over another driver as he lies motionless on the track while emergency personnel respond.

You can hear the motor rev just before the car hits the driver.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/police-investigating-sprint-car-incident-involving-three-time-nascar-champion-tony-stewart-081014

He kind of deserved it for being dumb enough to get out of his car like that...but thats pretty damn harsh...

if you look up the youtube video....

Anybody that has ever driven at high speeds for fun, or professionally, or under training conditions can see the way his car turned towards his target....he wanted to smack the guy, 100% intentional.

Updated after I read the driver that got out of his car died.....

Nobody deserves that crap.

He kind of deserved it for being dumb enough to get out of his car like that...but thats pretty damn harsh...

if you look up the youtube video....

Anybody that has ever driven at high speeds for fun, or professionally, or under training conditions can see the way his car turned towards his target....he wanted to smack the guy, 100% intentional.

I wouldn't say he deserved it...but I agree it looks intentional. Everyone else missed, but Stewart was driving faster and picked his angle. Doesn't look good.

I wouldn't say he deserved it...but I agree it looks intentional. Everyone else missed, but Stewart was driving faster and picked his angle. Doesn't look good.

I said kind of, not something I'd really wish upon anybody, but, it wouldn't have happened if he had just gotten outta there like he should have. He made it too easy for Tony Stewart to hit him and have an argument for getting away with it.

As a professional race-track driver for years, Stewart should know by now, how to operate his Sprint vehicle like it is a part of his own hand. This was stupidity amplified! He knew he was re-acting with some pretty blantant disregard for the safety of a person standing on the track. Stewart was making a statement, by reving-up & speeding off. Whether he meant to strike his victim on purpose ,or not..is debatable. What he did do, was extremely reckless, to say the least. I hope there's an indefinite suspension & then some criminal punishment for his mean-spiritedness & negligence.

Note to all drivers: having a hissy fit at the wheel of a moving car, will rarely end well.

My condolences to the family & friends of Kevin Ward Jr., and to all of those horrified spectators who had to see that terrible scenario unfold, and witness the tragic death of a very young racer.

Much as I dislike Stewart (if there was an I hate Tony Stewart club I'd be on the board of directors) I have a hard time believing he deliberately tried to hit him. He has always been a loose cannon on the track and I have seen more than a few drivers looking to take a round out of him after a race, he had to hide out in his trailer once to evade a rather angry 6'5" Brian Birkhoffer at one race I saw. Kevin Ward Jr made a dangerous move getting out of the car before the field was fully under control, and I believe Stewart compounded the issue making a dangerous swerve trying to scare him off.

Fair Warning: No blood. You don't see the actual point of contact, but Kevin Ward is unconscious on the track after being hit. He died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, not actually on the track in the video.

I have the video under spoiler tags because people are going to look it up anyways. This guy walks out onto the track and Tony Stewart hits the guy with his right rear tire.

I think he got close and revved the engine to scare Ward, but didn't hit him intentionally. If the police decide to file charges, Stewart could actually get arrested for vehicular manslaughter.

People saying Stewart should have known better didn't see the kid walk towards his car? Stewart isn't in the clear but this kid was half to blame. He should have known not to be walking up to a 1500 pound dirt car on a dimly lit track.

Run aacross a busy highway then blame someone for hitting you.

Archived