The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Gillis wasn't managing the team last year

Dal Colle

The return we got for Lu was trash. We got a 3rd line center, a goalie project with injury problems who has a history of embarrassing himself and his teammates in pressure situations, retained salary, and exposed ourselves to cap recapture penalties. The retained salary and cap recapture EASILY cancel out any value we got back.

Bottom line was both goalie trades were absolutely idiotic.

+ 1 for the Lou buyout. In 2018-2019 Lou (he will be 40) will be into the last 3 years of his contract which he will make 1.6 M, 1.0 M and 1.0 M . I'm not a betting man ,but i would bet that he retires after the 2018-19 season. In hindsight buying LOu would have been the best option.The cap recapture penalty is gonna come back and bite us in the ???

+ 1 for the Lou buyout. In 2018-2019 Lou (he will be 40) will be into the last 3 years of his contract which he will make 1.6 M, 1.0 M and 1.0 M . I'm not a betting man ,but i would bet that he retires after the 2018-19 season. In hindsight buying LOu would have been the best option.The cap recapture penalty is gonna come back and bite us in the ???

Buffalo had a similar issue with Ehrhoff and they (wisely) ponied up the dough and bought him out.

Lol.

So by your logic Cheechoo and Heatley are worth a lot?

Stop living in the past!

That is not comparable. Kesler is still in his prime and is producing where he is expected, 20-25 goals, 50-70 points and strong 2 way play. He has not fallen like Cheechoo...or Heatley for that matter. I bet Kesler kills it this season....or blows a knee.

Still, I will admit to living in the past. I am still in 82, 94, 2011 and all seasons in between. I am also in the future and I'm generally happy with what has transpired.

It is my opinion that many here don't like Kesler now because he was an abrasive jerk at times, and now that he is gone, we don't get the benefit of his GIGANTIC level of compete. He remains a really good player, which benefits Anaheim far more than Bonino and Sbisa. If me re-hashing this means I'm dwelling on the past then so be it, I'm a dweller.

I'm not willing to crap on Kesler and I'm not going to don the knee pads for Benning until I see what we have. I don't want him to be Obama, winning the Nobel Prize for not being Gillis and then tossed under the bus for not being putting together a SCF roster in 4 years. Lets just watch and see.

It's easy to look at Gillis in hindsight but if you change your perspective you might look at this slightly different.

Without Gillis we probably wouldn't have Hamhuis, Higgins, Tanev nor Kassian. We probably wouldn't have Lapierre,Malhotra, Ballard nor Samuelsson during our cup run. At least try to look at the good signings and decsisions they made.

Of course you can critisize Gillis and the rest of the manegment but you should also look at the good things he did for us aswell

That is not comparable. Kesler is still in his prime and is producing where he is expected, 20-25 goals, 50-70 points and strong 2 way play. He has not fallen like Cheechoo...or Heatley for that matter. I bet Kesler kills it this season....or blows a knee.

Still, I will admit to living in the past. I am still in 82, 94, 2011 and all seasons in between. I am also in the future and I'm generally happy with what has transpired.

It is my opinion that many here don't like Kesler now because he was an abrasive jerk at times, and now that he is gone, we don't get the benefit of his GIGANTIC level of compete. He remains a really good player, which benefits Anaheim far more than Bonino and Sbisa. If me re-hashing this means I'm dwelling on the past then so be it, I'm a dweller.

I'm not willing to crap on Kesler and I'm not going to don the knee pads for Benning until I see what we have. I don't want him to be Obama, winning the Nobel Prize for not being Gillis and then tossed under the bus for not being putting together a SCF roster in 4 years. Lets just watch and see.

To get 50-70 points you need to get at least 50 points.

To get 50-70 points you need to get at least 50 points.

Touche. 43-70 Points then. My point is he's an effective player and not in the John Cheechoo category. He's a Duck now, so I don't want to defend him. I bet he listens to Nickleback while posing in a full length mirror. Decent hockey player though.

There are many ways we could've won and gotten a better record this year. If Mike Gillis wasn't managing this team then would've we made the playoffs... No one knows but IMO I think he should've been fired during last summer. He traded basically a future top

Goaltender for basically nothing( Sorry Horvat) although I do think that he'll be a good player just not sure whether he'll be better than Schneids. If Gillis was let go last season, we would've had not hired as bad as a coach like Torts.we were doing great at first but then a terrible meltdown. I would've never expected this from AV if he was still. In fact what if Gillis didn't fire AV, then he'll prob still have his job in safe hands right?!!!!??!! Like a series sweep against the kings, I would've given any coach a second chance especially a coach that has brought this team to the playoffs consecutive years. If Gillis wasn't managing I'm guessing most of you will agree that this team will still be a playoff contender and a cup contender. But no Gillis still managed and ultimately lead to the teams failure....

Remember how thrilled a lot of people here (most?) were about most of the moves and signings Gillis made in his first couple of seasons? And how hateful a lot of people here (most?) are now towards the same guy?

Let's all bookmark this thread and come back and read it in about 5 years time (assuming Benning/Linden are still here) and we'll all have a good laugh at what we wrote and we'll see how popular (Fort) Benning has become.

Otherwise, you are assuming that the guy who would have been hired to replace Gillis would have done a better job (cue the "anyone vould have done a better job" comments). Maybe the new guy would have been much worse.

Maybe, assuming AV outlived another GM, he would do well with the team which was given to him. Keeping AV was a Gillis move. Getting AV to change his coaching style was also a Gillis move, no?

Maybe the team wouldn't have had some untimely injuries. Maybe they would have gotten a few more lucky bounces. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yqhCypYfE

regards,

G.

Touche. 43-70 Points then. My point is he's an effective player and not in the John Cheechoo category. He's a Duck now, so I don't want to defend him. I bet he listens to Nickleback while posing in a full length mirror. Decent hockey player though.

You are right he isn't in Cheechoo category, Cheechoo has scored50 goals in the past. That's the point, living in the past on player value is ridiculous but people like you and others on cdc do it all the time.

Evaluate the moves

In what way were they showing how Benning is a risk taker?

......he's shown he's not taking any chances so far IMO

Creating value for Kesler was admirable.

After two months on the job to criticize and assert Benning is not a risk taker after I watched Gillis unable to trade Luongo for 1.5 years is sadly ironic.

After two months on the job to criticize and assert Benning is not a risk taker after I watched Gillis unable to trade Luongo for 1.5 years is sadly ironic.

While I don't think it's ironic I think the trade Benning made for Kesler was fantastic. It was a far batter deal than what I thought we would get for him. I was kind of expecting a Ryan Smyth like deal when he was traded out of Anaheim.

I'm not sure though what the risk was in that though.

The problem in my opinion with Gillis was that he was a risk taker.His last 3 years here were a lot like Quinns last years as Gm. Crappy move after crappy move that just hurt the team over an over again. None of them making much sense just moves for the sake of moves to try to generate....anything. Bennings moves seem more calculated; much like when GIllis first arrived.

We may not need it NOW, but it may be useful to get these prospects some help in a couple of years when they're ready to contend. No sense in wasting cap space when we could have just used our 2nd buyout.

We could just save up those buyouts and use it to a player that continues to struggle from last years dismal season. But I expect most of them to bounce back. Our boys wanna win real bad and I mean really badddddd. And again it's just 800 k!!!!!

Why would we buy out Lu... He was suppose to be forever a Canuck right until MG traded Roberto. I'm trying to say that he had tons of value and we could've gotten a whole lot more if MG played his cards right in which he didnt....

You are right he isn't in Cheechoo category, Cheechoo has scored50 goals in the past. That's the point, living in the past on player value is ridiculous but people like you and others on cdc do it all the time.

Kesler's value is still good. He's 29 years old and coming off a 25 goal season, which IMO is exactly where he should be. Cheechoo had 2 good seasons, Kesler is a career NHLer. I sick of defending him, so seriously bro, I'm over it.

FYI, you know nothing about me, it's narcissistic to think you do.

How about we forget about Gillis and rate Benning on his own merits?

I have continuously said that I don't mind the moves, I just find them boring. I don't blame him for them but they are not anything to get excited about, they just are.

It's basically a coin flip between nichushkin and Horvat although Nichushkin has turned into a quite interesting quietly producing superstar. What I'm trying to say is that we could've gotten more for Schneids since he had potential to be a franchise goaltender a replacement for Brodeur. Maybe if we got a player like Henrique or Matt Greene, then that could've soften the loss of a franchise goaltender.

Quietly producing is right, those 34 points really screams superstar. Unfortunately he's not in the franchise player category like Sam Gagner who had 49 points the year after he was drafted.

(note: I'm not saying Valeri can't be a very good player in this league, but let's not anoint him after one decent year.)

We could just save up those buyouts and use it to a player that continues to struggle from last years dismal season. But I expect most of them to bounce back. Our boys wanna win real bad and I mean really badddddd. And again it's just 800 k!!!!!

Most cup contenders don't even have $800K in cap space. Although I think if Gillis just traded Luongo when he requested one, there would have been someone willing to take on the whole contract. You can't act like $800K is nothing though.

Blaming Torts is absurd and blatant denial. AV knew this group of misfits so granted he might have got a little more out of that horrible team. This team just sucked balls last year. Mike 'fricking' nothing against him Santorelli was our best player last year. That says it all.

Like another poster said game 7 got to MG's head and it was all downhill from there. He defintiely should have been let go with AV but I'm glad that we finally removed him and it's time to turn the page.

Everyone should just forget about 2011 and think about the present and future of this team and the potential this team has to compete.

Everyone should just forget about hindsighting Gillis and think about the present and future and the potential of the current management team.

Archived