The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Gillis wasn't managing the team last year

Dal Colle

Touche. 43-70 Points then. My point is he's an effective player and not in the John Cheechoo category. He's a Duck now, so I don't want to defend him. I bet he listens to Nickleback while posing in a full length mirror. Decent hockey player though.

I just busted a gut over that one. Thank you.

That is not comparable. Kesler is still in his prime and is producing where he is expected, 20-25 goals, 50-70 points and strong 2 way play. He has not fallen like Cheechoo...or Heatley for that matter. I bet Kesler kills it this season....or blows a knee.

Still, I will admit to living in the past. I am still in 82, 94, 2011 and all seasons in between. I am also in the future and I'm generally happy with what has transpired.

It is my opinion that many here don't like Kesler now because he was an abrasive jerk at times, and now that he is gone, we don't get the benefit of his GIGANTIC level of compete. He remains a really good player, which benefits Anaheim far more than Bonino and Sbisa. If me re-hashing this means I'm dwelling on the past then so be it, I'm a dweller.

I'm not willing to crap on Kesler and I'm not going to don the knee pads for Benning until I see what we have. I don't want him to be Obama, winning the Nobel Prize for not being Gillis and then tossed under the bus for not being putting together a SCF roster in 4 years. Lets just watch and see.

Last time Kesler was a 70 PTS man was 2011. He hasn't reaches 50 PTS since.

It's 2014-15.

Also, Kesler scored 25 goals playing more minutes than anyone not named Crosby. Crosby went on to score 36 goals while adding 68 assists playing relatively the same minutes. The self proclaimed 2C Kesler had 18 assists.

That means that while Kesler was on the ice, he assisted on 18 of his peers' goals. No wonder then the Canucks could not garner any offense to speak of.

Trading Kesler was the best course of action for the Canucks. Let him go hog the puck for another team.

Forever Diver.

Last time Kesler was a 70 PTS man was 2011. He hasn't reaches 50 PTS since.

It's 2014-15.

Also, Kesler scored 25 goals playing more minutes than anyone not named Crosby. Crosby went on to score 36 goals while adding 68 assists playing relatively the same minutes. The self proclaimed 2C Kesler had 18 assists.

That means that while Kesler was on the ice, he assisted on 18 of his peers' goals. No wonder then the Canucks could not garner any offense to speak of.

Trading Kesler was the best course of action for the Canucks. Let him go hog the puck for another team.

Forever Diver.

He's not Sidney Crosby that's for sure. He's a decent player though.

2010-11- 73 pts

2011-12- 49 pts

2012-13 - Lockout

2013-14- 43 pts

I did eat my words in a post afterwards and acknowledged it should have been 43-70 points. 49 points is pretty close to 50, so whatever. In the shortened season after that, hmmmm, I'll take the pass. 43 points last season on a team that stunk worse than blue cheese, still not that bad. You can choose to believe that Ryan Kesler is not very good or over the hill at 29, but I do not agree. I'm not saying either team won the trade until I see what Bonino looks like with 2nd line minutes. What am I sure of is that Anaheim is going to like Kesler in a support role and they will be a better team for it.

I have been vocal in my distaste for Kesler's attitude and diving for a long time, since 2010 really, but I'm not willing to say he's a bad player...because he's not. Players who whine and dive serve to solidify the opponents and make them play us harder. That is Kesler.

Diving and cheap play are counterproductive, so with that in mind, yeah, bye-bye Kes. I just would have taken a different path than Linden/Benning. I would have attempted to force him to stay until he gave the team more options. That is assuming he really did only give two teams and Benning's hand was forced. Either way, it's too early to tell the eoutcome.

He's not Sidney Crosby that's for sure. He's a decent player though.

2010-11- 73 pts

2011-12- 49 pts

2012-13 - Lockout

2013-14- 43 pts

I did eat my words in a post afterwards and acknowledged it should have been 43-70 points. 49 points is pretty close to 50, so whatever. In the shortened season after that, hmmmm, I'll take the pass. 43 points last season on a team that stunk worse than blue cheese, still not that bad. You can choose to believe that Ryan Kesler is not very good or over the hill at 29, but I do not agree. I'm not saying either team won the trade until I see what Bonino looks like with 2nd line minutes. What am I sure of is that Anaheim is going to like Kesler in a support role and they will be a better team for it.

I have been vocal in my distaste for Kesler's attitude and diving for a long time, since 2010 really, but I'm not willing to say he's a bad player...because he's not. Players who whine and dive serve to solidify the opponents and make them play us harder. That is Kesler.

Diving and cheap play are counterproductive, so with that in mind, yeah, bye-bye Kes. I just would have taken a different path than Linden/Benning. I would have attempted to force him to stay until he gave the team more options. That is assuming he really did only give two teams and Benning's hand was forced. Either way, it's too early to tell the eoutcome.

I'm not saying he's over the hill. I'm saying he's never been that great in the first place. You points spread should be 43-49 points because no way in hell does Kesler see another 55+ PTS season.

The team didn't stink that bad. Kesler played too much and hampered his own productivity, as well as the rest of the team's and its players.

This is not a Kesler built team; this is a Sedins built team. Last year is what happens if Kesler is the Captain and gets the minutes he got.

No 1C had more minutes than Crosby let alone a 2C, which Kesler really isn't.

Kesler is the best 3C in the game. 2C on a bad team. Unfortunately, Kesler is illusioned into thinking he's a 1C/2C who passes enough.

I'm not saying he's over the hill. I'm saying he's never been that great in the first place. You points spread should be 43-49 points because no way in hell does Kesler see another 55+ PTS season.

The team didn't stink that bad. Kesler played too much and hampered his own productivity, as well as the rest of the team's and its players.

This is not a Kesler built team; this is a Sedins built team. Last year is what happens if Kesler is the Captain and gets the minutes he got.

No 1C had more minutes than Crosby let alone a 2C, which Kesler really isn't.

Kesler is the best 3C in the game. Unfortunately, Kesler is illusioned.

Sure. He's the best 3C in the game.

He should not be compared to Crosby in any way shape or form.

Last year the team stunk, the coaching stunk, Daniel and Burr stunk, Edler REAKED LIKE CRAP!!!!, Kesler was overplayed by Torts and played like an Emo teen. Your assessment of last season and my assessment of last season do not jibe. I can accept that.

Kesler has been a decent player for years. He was never as good as his Selke season but I will not be surprised to see him get 50 pts as a Duck...or maybe he will get injured, both seem likely to me.

I am sure of one thing though, he will be playing his guts out to prove himself, and he will play us extra hard....then he will flex in the mirror while running his fingers through his hockey hair. EDIT: while making a duck face.

Bonino likely won't be with the Sedins on the PP, Vrbata will primarily, so he'll take a hit.

While Kesler likely won't be with Getzlaf/Perry on the PP, not sure who will though, so he'll also take a hit.

At least when it comes to pp meal tickets. But they can run 2nd pp units.

Bonino will have Kassian, Higgins, Burrows and Jensen to work with at various times on those units. Bieksa on the point.

Kesler will have Cogliano, Palmieri, Etem, Belesky, Maroon, Heatley, SP, Rackell and Silfverberg to work with at various times on those units. Souray is rumoured to perhaps return.

With so many options for Boudreau to work with, he's going to change the look of the power play a lot. So it's probably not going to come down to that.

So what about 5-on-5?

Kesler has Getzlaf to not only take away defenders, but also help with a shutdown role. Acquiring big, fast Nate Thompson was an underrated move imho because he takes shutdown pressure away from Kesler and Getzlaf as well. But no doubt the loss of Perreault's offense is a hit on their offense. Basically, they're trying to build a team that can counter LA in the playoffs, not light it up in the regular season.

Kesler will play with a myriad of wingers, and may even get booted up to the top line now and then. I think he'll find it a lot easier to score this season than last when he was off the Sedin line, certainly. Injuries can happen though.

Bonino will play with the same types of players he'll work the 2nd pp unit with, and perhaps Vrbata as Sedin wingers change around too. While Bonino will get to play with the same wingers Kesler did last season, he won't have to run a pk unit or be depended on for a mega-minute shutdown role as much as Kesler was. He may profit from this useage in terms of point production here, so I can see him possibly out-scoring Kesler in the regular season.

It really depends on how Anaheim uses Kesler. When all else is equal, Kesler is easily the better player.

Who gets more points this year? Kesler or Bonino?

Keep in mind of injuries, ice time (PP time), and linemates

Kesler for sure. Bonino will face tougher competition next year and won't be on a super hot powerplay unit. Kesler also may get powerplay time with Getzlaf and Perry, while Bonino will get it with Burrows, Kassian, etc. Bonino will also be forced to face tougher competition, while Kesler's faced tough competition for years now.

Sure. He's the best 3C in the game.

He should not be compared to Crosby in any way shape or form.

Last year the team stunk, the coaching stunk, Daniel and Burr stunk, Edler REAKED LIKE CRAP!!!!, Kesler was overplayed by Torts and played like an Emo teen. Your assessment of last season and my assessment of last season do not jibe. I can accept that.

Kesler has been a decent player for years. He was never as good as his Selke season but I will not be surprised to see him get 50 pts as a Duck...or maybe he will get injured, both seem likely to me.

I am sure of one thing though, he will be playing his guts out to prove himself, and he will play us extra hard....then he will flex in the mirror while running his fingers through his hockey hair. EDIT: while making a duck face.

Haha! Love the edit.

How about we forget about Gillis and rate Benning on his own merits?

I have continuously said that I don't mind the moves, I just find them boring. I don't blame him for them but they are not anything to get excited about, they just are.

He danced like a cat on a hot tin roof getting as much as he could for Kesler with a gun to his head.

That was his first task.

He turned over 20% of the active roster as his second task.

For his third task he used his all the Canucks scouts ( Who was the last Canucks GM to trust and use our Russian scout ?) and relied upon his own scouting skills by drafting Thatcher and had a really solid,productive - and may I say exciting - draft day.

That was his first four or so weeks on the job.

If you think this is boring I can hardly blame you as you were put half to sleep with ole baggy eyes and face ne'er shaven.

He danced like a cat on a hot tin roof getting as much as he could for Kesler with a gun to his head.

That was his first task.

He turned over 20% of the active roster as his second task.

For his third task he used his all the Canucks scouts ( Who was the last Canucks GM to trust and use our Russian scout ?) and relied upon his own scouting skills by drafting Thatcher and had a really solid,productive - and may I say exciting - draft day.

That was his first four or so weeks on the job.

If you think this is boring I can hardly blame you as you were put half to sleep with ole baggy eyes and face ne'er shaven.

I think Kesler wanted to leave because Gillis was still managing and therefore he wanted out. If gillis wasn't managing then I guess he'd still be here.

How about we forget about Gillis and rate Benning on his own merits?

I have continuously said that I don't mind the moves, I just find them boring. I don't blame him for them but they are not anything to get excited about, they just are.

What sort of moves would you have found exciting, Timber?

Though I'm not prepared to ordain Benning as the second coming of Sam Pollock anytime soon, I'm pretty happy about the moves that he's made...especially with the circumstances that he had to deal with.

What sort of moves would you have found exciting, Timber?

Though I'm not prepared to ordain Benning as the second coming of Sam Pollock anytime soon, I'm pretty happy about the moves that he's made...especially with the circumstances that he had to deal with.

I would have found a youth movement more exciting. This team did the safety dance plugging people in and putting glass ceilings to protect the vets. I can see the logic why but it's still boring. I am not like those claiming we are turning into Calgary, we have too many prospects for that but it's time to move on from 2011.

We have no exciting players to fill an oppositions net so it feels like a modified trap is over the horizon, I don't see many players being hungry this season, it's going to be a mediocre team. If we're going to be bad I would prefer it to be exciting for the future (Not tank but get some of our younger guys in there instead of temp plugs)

Miller made no sense to me, he's a great goalie but that's not where we are weak, should have saved that cap until we found out what kind of team we are. I would have been more excited to know we could easily make changes to be competitive at a moments notice, now we will have to live and die by what we have.

Kesler trade bugged me the most. Even if he only gave one team (though I am thinking only one of his teams was able to make a deal) I really don't like seeing the Ducks walk away with Kesler and pick Ritchie. Pure speculation that the 10th pick may have been up for grabs and possible we lucked out with the 24th pick anyways but I don't like relying on luck.

I don't see Vrbata hanging in there on the Sedin line. Not a knock on him but the line will be too soft and the Sedins have always had more success with a grittier player. There is now even less to take the pressure off as Bonino is no replacement for kesler. So unless Kassian can carry a line 2 then line 1 will be all we have and that'll be easy to line match.

TL;DR: If we're gonna fall, I'd rather fall with style.

That said I don't blame Benning for the moves. The team sucks and it's not an easy magic fix. This is not NHL15 and such. I am just not finding anything to get really pumped up about.

Some here are also rating Benning on a scale of their biased hatred of Gillis. Right or wrong with the Gillis hate it's pretty easy for Benning to smell like roses when you compare in such a manner. I'm trying to be more subjective. I think Benning is an upgrade but he's a long way to go before he's above criticism.

So let me ask you and others here that what they are so excited about? Not just "trades!" or "Hated Kesler is gone!" or "Guy that traded my Cody/Lu or didn't play Manny is fired so this new guy is teh rulez!" But an honest assessment of the trades and signings and why they got you guys pumped up and where you'll think we'll be in levels of competitiveness. I trust Benning and Linden to get the job done in the end but for now, it's just bland as a high fiber diet to me.

I would have found a youth movement more exciting. This team did the safety dance plugging people in and putting glass ceilings to protect the vets. I can see the logic why but it's still boring. I am not like those claiming we are turning into Calgary, we have too many prospects for that but it's time to move on from 2011.

We have no exciting players to fill an oppositions net so it feels like a modified trap is over the horizon, I don't see many players being hungry this season, it's going to be a mediocre team. If we're going to be bad I would prefer it to be exciting for the future (Not tank but get some of our younger guys in there instead of temp plugs)

Miller made no sense to me, he's a great goalie but that's not where we are weak, should have saved that cap until we found out what kind of team we are. I would have been more excited to know we could easily make changes to be competitive at a moments notice, now we will have to live and die by what we have.

Kesler trade bugged me the most. Even if he only gave one team (though I am thinking only one of his teams was able to make a deal) I really don't like seeing the Ducks walk away with Kesler and pick Ritchie. Pure speculation that the 10th pick may have been up for grabs and possible we lucked out with the 24th pick anyways but I don't like relying on luck.

I don't see Vrbata hanging in there on the Sedin line. Not a knock on him but the line will be too soft and the Sedins have always had more success with a grittier player. There is now even less to take the pressure off as Bonino is no replacement for kesler. So unless Kassian can carry a line 2 then line 1 will be all we have and that'll be easy to line match.

TL;DR: If we're gonna fall, I'd rather fall with style.

That said I don't blame Benning for the moves. The team sucks and it's not an easy magic fix. This is not NHL15 and such. I am just not finding anything to get really pumped up about.

Some here are also rating Benning on a scale of their biased hatred of Gillis. Right or wrong with the Gillis hate it's pretty easy for Benning to smell like roses when you compare in such a manner. I'm trying to be more subjective. I think Benning is an upgrade but he's a long way to go before he's above criticism.

So let me ask you and others here that what they are so excited about? Not just "trades!" or "Hated Kesler is gone!" or "Guy that traded my Cody/Lu or didn't play Manny is fired so this new guy is teh rulez!" But an honest assessment of the trades and signings and why they got you guys pumped up and where you'll think we'll be in levels of competitiveness. I trust Benning and Linden to get the job done in the end but for now, it's just bland as a high fiber diet to me.

It's not so much any particular move he made or didn't. To me so far it's his approach and calculation. Clearly it's impossible to know how each will pan out. Mainly it's the fact that he's decisive. Not sitting there wringing his hands and calling to a process.

You're right about the comparison to MG, and Benning looking great either way. Maybe I'll eat my words at the end of the season. I have no illusions that we have a great team, or a contender. Obviously I can be optimistic about that, why wouldn't I want to be, I'm a canucks fan. What Benning has done in the short time he's been here is overall we've gotten a little younger (Bonino, Vey, Sbisa) and a little tougher (Dorsett). We've got l

I would have found a youth movement more exciting. This team did the safety dance plugging people in and putting glass ceilings to protect the vets. I can see the logic why but it's still boring. I am not like those claiming we are turning into Calgary, we have too many prospects for that but it's time to move on from 2011.We have no exciting players to fill an oppositions net so it feels like a modified trap is over the horizon, I don't see many players being hungry this season, it's going to be a mediocre team. If we're going to be bad I would prefer it to be exciting for the future (Not tank but get some of our younger guys in there instead of temp plugs)Miller made no sense to me, he's a great goalie but that's not where we are weak, should have saved that cap until we found out what kind of team we are. I would have been more excited to know we could easily make changes to be competitive at a moments notice, now we will have to live and die by what we have.Kesler trade bugged me the most. Even if he only gave one team (though I am thinking only one of his teams was able to make a deal) I really don't like seeing the Ducks walk away with Kesler and pick Ritchie. Pure speculation that the 10th pick may have been up for grabs and possible we lucked out with the 24th pick anyways but I don't like relying on luck.I don't see Vrbata hanging in there on the Sedin line. Not a knock on him but the line will be too soft and the Sedins have always had more success with a grittier player. There is now even less to take the pressure off as Bonino is no replacement for kesler. So unless Kassian can carry a line 2 then line 1 will be all we have and that'll be easy to line match.TL;DR: If we're gonna fall, I'd rather fall with style.That said I don't blame Benning for the moves. The team sucks and it's not an easy magic fix. This is not NHL15 and such. I am just not finding anything to get really pumped up about.Some here are also rating Benning on a scale of their biased hatred of Gillis. Right or wrong with the Gillis hate it's pretty easy for Benning to smell like roses when you compare in such a manner. I'm trying to be more subjective. I think Benning is an upgrade but he's a long way to go before he's above criticism.So let me ask you and others here that what they are so excited about? Not just "trades!" or "Hated Kesler is gone!" or "Guy that traded my Cody/Lu or didn't play Manny is fired so this new guy is teh rulez!" But an honest assessment of the trades and signings and why they got you guys pumped up and where you'll think we'll be in levels of competitiveness. I trust Benning and Linden to get the job done in the end but for now, it's just bland as a high fiber diet to me.

Uhmmmmmmm we still have exciting players like Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen possibly, Miller, Bonino and tons of other players. No clue to what you mean by "no exciting players"

Archived