The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Gillis wasn't managing the team last year

Dal Colle

This team has only gotten past the 2nd round 3 times in its 44 years in the NHL, with a 12 and then 17 year gap. When are you referring to exactly?

So basically, every time we get past the 2nd round we go to the finals. Hmmmm, there's something to this.

I would have found a youth movement more exciting. This team did the safety dance plugging people in and putting glass ceilings to protect the vets. I can see the logic why but it's still boring. I am not like those claiming we are turning into Calgary, we have too many prospects for that but it's time to move on from 2011.

We have no exciting players to fill an oppositions net so it feels like a modified trap is over the horizon, I don't see many players being hungry this season, it's going to be a mediocre team. If we're going to be bad I would prefer it to be exciting for the future (Not tank but get some of our younger guys in there instead of temp plugs)

Miller made no sense to me, he's a great goalie but that's not where we are weak, should have saved that cap until we found out what kind of team we are. I would have been more excited to know we could easily make changes to be competitive at a moments notice, now we will have to live and die by what we have.

Kesler trade bugged me the most. Even if he only gave one team (though I am thinking only one of his teams was able to make a deal) I really don't like seeing the Ducks walk away with Kesler and pick Ritchie. Pure speculation that the 10th pick may have been up for grabs and possible we lucked out with the 24th pick anyways but I don't like relying on luck.

I don't see Vrbata hanging in there on the Sedin line. Not a knock on him but the line will be too soft and the Sedins have always had more success with a grittier player. There is now even less to take the pressure off as Bonino is no replacement for kesler. So unless Kassian can carry a line 2 then line 1 will be all we have and that'll be easy to line match.

TL;DR: If we're gonna fall, I'd rather fall with style.

That said I don't blame Benning for the moves. The team sucks and it's not an easy magic fix. This is not NHL15 and such. I am just not finding anything to get really pumped up about.

Some here are also rating Benning on a scale of their biased hatred of Gillis. Right or wrong with the Gillis hate it's pretty easy for Benning to smell like roses when you compare in such a manner. I'm trying to be more subjective. I think Benning is an upgrade but he's a long way to go before he's above criticism.

So let me ask you and others here that what they are so excited about? Not just "trades!" or "Hated Kesler is gone!" or "Guy that traded my Cody/Lu or didn't play Manny is fired so this new guy is teh rulez!" But an honest assessment of the trades and signings and why they got you guys pumped up and where you'll think we'll be in levels of competitiveness. I trust Benning and Linden to get the job done in the end but for now, it's just bland as a high fiber diet to me.

Here's my perspective on the state of the Canucks for this coming season...

The team looks to be more competitive and deeper than it was this past season. The players that have been brought in (Bonino, Sbisa, Vey, Vrbata, Dorsett, Miller) as a whole look to be better than the players they have replaced (Kesler, Booth, Schroeder, Dalpe, Lack). Granted, we lost the single best player in the ten listed above in Ryan Kesler, but collectively, IMO, five in > five out.

I like the Miller signing (especially the 3 year term). IMO, Miller gives the Canucks a chance to win every game he starts...I don't know if I could say the same for Eddie Lack at this point in Eddie's career. I also think goaltending is the single-most important position...if the goaltending is very good to excellent, it can make up for a lot of flaws and shortcomings in the roster (conversely, good to average goaltending can expose many of the weaknesses the team may have, which is essentially what we experienced this past season).

I also like the return we got for Kesler. We essentially received three roster players (Bonino, Sbisa, and Dorsett) plus a relatively high end prospect (McCann) for a guy who didn't want to be in Vancouver. As stated, Kesler was the best player in the deal, but we added depth and to our future, which I think is a decent haul. Kesler's two way play will be missed, but IMO, he is no longer the "Beast" that we all fell in love with from 2008 to 2011 (hip, shoulder, wrist injuries will do that to anyone). I don't mean to bash Kesler, but he was a one man show who didn't make others around him better. And I believe that what we'll lose in Kesler can be made up by committee by players who will be given added opportunities and responsibilities. I envision a checking line made up of Burrows (LW) - Richardson ( C) - Hansen (RW) to play a big role this coming season.

I'm actually excited about our prospects. I think we have a strong prospect pool, thanks to the efforts of of MG and JB over the past 3 years. I'm hopeful (something I could not say a couple of years ago) that Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk and Jensen will emerge as bonafide NHLers in the next season or two, followed by Virtanen, McCann and Tryamkin in the next 2-3 years. I like that we have prospects that have the aptitude to play a 200' game. Sure, there's nothing flashy about these prospects, but IMO, they appear to have the skills and mindset that will allow them the opportunity for success at the NHL level.

I'm not crazy about having so many players on the roster in their 30s, so on surface, I don't like the Vrbata signing (it reminds me of the Pavol Demitra signing, and I didn't think Demitra <RIP> contributed enough for the money he was paid). Minus Vrbata, I think the Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Bieksa, and Hamhuis will play a critical role in ushering in the next wave of core players, which I think will be important as the Canucks transition from being the pretenders they are today to the contenders that I think they will become in the next 2-3 years.

I see this coming season as a step in the process to get the team back to respectability...the Canucks are far from being contenders for the cup, but IMO, with the changes made, the team will be much more competitive, motivated, and have a shot at making the playoffs, as it builds itself to contender status over the next 2-3 years.

The team looks to be more competitive and deeper than it was this past season. The players that have been brought in (Bonino, Sbisa, Vey, Vrbata, Dorsett, Miller) as a whole look to be better than the players they have replaced (Kesler, Booth, Schroeder, Dalpe, Lack). Granted, we lost the single best player in the ten listed above in Ryan Kesler, but collectively, IMO, five in > five out.

I like the Miller signing (especially the 3 year term). IMO, Miller gives the Canucks a chance to win every game he starts...I don't know if I could say the same for Eddie Lack at this point in Eddie's career. I also think goaltending is the single-most important position...if the goaltending is very good to excellent, it can make up for a lot of flaws and shortcomings in the roster (conversely, good to average goaltending can expose many of the weaknesses the team may have, which is essentially what we experienced this past season).

I also like the return we got for Kesler. We essentially received three roster players (Bonino, Sbisa, and Dorsett) plus a relatively high end prospect (McCann) for a guy who didn't want to be in Vancouver. As stated, Kesler was the best player in the deal, but we added depth and to our future, which I think is a decent haul. Kesler's two way play will be missed, but IMO, he is no longer the "Beast" that we all fell in love with from 2008 to 2011 (hip, shoulder, wrist injuries will do that to anyone). I don't mean to bash Kesler, but he was a one man show who didn't make others around him better. And I believe that what we'll lose in Kesler can be made up by committee by players who will be given added opportunities and responsibilities. I envision a checking line made up of Burrows (LW) - Richardson ( C) - Hansen (RW) to play a big role this coming season.

I'm actually excited about our prospects. I think we have a strong prospect pool, thanks to the efforts of of MG and JB over the past 3 years. I'm hopeful (something I could not say a couple of years ago) that Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk and Jensen will emerge as bonafide NHLers in the next season or two, followed by Virtanen, McCann and Tryamkin in the next 2-3 years. I like that we have prospects that have the aptitude to play a 200' game. Sure, there's nothing flashy about these prospects, but IMO, they appear to have the skills and mindset that will allow them the opportunity for success at the NHL level.

I'm not crazy about having so many players on the roster in their 30s, so on surface, I don't like the Vrbata signing (it reminds me of the Pavol Demitra signing, and I didn't think Demitra <RIP> contributed enough for the money he was paid). Minus Vrbata, I think the Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Bieksa, and Hamhuis will play a critical role in ushering in the next wave of core players, which I think will be important as the Canucks transition from being the pretenders they are today to the contenders that I think they will become in the next 2-3 years.

I see this coming season as a step in the process to get the team back to respectability...the Canucks are far from being contenders for the cup, but IMO, with the changes made, the team will be much more competitive, motivated, and have a shot at making the playoffs, as it builds itself to contender status over the next 2-3 years.

Lots of positivity and a lot of good points. Well done.

IMO I thought Garrison was gonna be here for a long time. After last season, he really disappointing is and ultimately led to his departure. He was a home town boy. Many are saying that this was one of Gillis's bad signings which was a long term contract on a 5 yr 35 mill for Jason. If we got 5 yr for 20 mill then he's a steal but he struggled. Also who is Jeff Costello???? We never got a chance to see this guy play. We traded Patrick Mullen for this douche who didnt even play for us. Not even for Utica!!!!! But I'm excited to what jb can bring to the table and hopefully bring back the many years of playoff success this team had.

Wut da? Last time I checked, Garrison was signed for 6 years $27.6M for a cap hit of $4.6M...far cry from 5y/35m/7m cap hit. Nice bit of fact checking there, Dal Colle.

Excellent post.

I like that you give credit where credit is due in what Gillis did at the draft.

It's basically a coin flip between nichushkin and Horvat although Nichushkin has turned into a quite interesting quietly producing superstar. What I'm trying to say is that we could've gotten more for Schneids since he had potential to be a franchise goaltender a replacement for Brodeur. Maybe if we got a player like Henrique or Matt Greene, then that could've soften the loss of a franchise goaltender.

Luongo's contract in combination with the drastically reduced cap and Luo's 'trade me to' list, absolutely snuffed out any chance of MG being able to move Luo. The team had to become cap compliant so when the offer came for Schneider, he had no choice since he had no trade leverageand no cap space to manuever. When the opposing GM has you exactly where he wants you, he is not going to give you Henrique or Greene....he is going to offer you a pick and let you roll the dice on getting a player in the draft.

Actually, I think we are fortunate to have drafted Bo Horvat, give him time to develop before you call him 'absolutely nothing'. He is a centre with size and skill which definately fills a need on the Canucks roster. Linden and Benning think a lot of him and have indicated that he has a real shot at making the team.....you have to respect that unless of course you think you know better?

Archived