The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

10 Years on CDC

VICanucksfan5551

It's been 10 years to the day since I joined this forum; a full decade since I was a stupid 13 year old signing up after lurking for months.

Here's how CDC looked on August 11, 2004. I loved the old Trash Talk forum back in the day, but it'd probably just annoy me now

https://web.archive.org/web/20040811042345/http://forum.canucks.com/

I've loved talking hockey, debating and discussing in OT, and playing mafia with a great group of people. So yeah, thanks for 10 years guys.

Damn, I have only been here since May 2008. Long time sir, congratz on making it this long ! I remember some of the younger days. When times were easier on this board.
I do feel we (myself) lose sight of what we are here for sometimes, especially myself recently when getting defensive over a certain user.
The original Canucks Admin posted this message on his personal website canuckscentral.com a few years back. Sure makes you think about the differences between then to now.

-------

When Canucks Central launched in 1996, I believed the internet brought out the best in people. It was a golden era when relatively intelligent people could talk to each other without even needing to register their username, let alone worry about trolls, scammers and spammers.
Now, I believe the internet increasingly exposes the ugly side of humanity. The lowest common denominator has flooded every site and uses their new-found sense of power and anonymity to vent their frustrations towards people who had nothing to do with their failures.
Similarly, I used to believe hockey brought people together and was generally good for society. But the events of the 2011 NHL playoffs showed otherwise. The NHL head office is either corrupt or incompetent - possibly both - and a large percentage of sports fans/media are deplorable. I no longer want to be associated with either.
This is not a snap decision; I have been pondering it since April. And it is a decision that comes with more relief than sadness following vicious personal attacks on my wife and I, by grown men, for virtually no reason. They will celebrate this message as a victory, but hopefully one day they realize how trivial and hurtful their hate was.
I apologize to those who still enjoyed this site, and thank those who contributed to its success along the way.
-Chris Johannsen

Now, I believe the internet increasingly exposes the ugly side of humanity. The lowest common denominator has flooded every site and uses their new-found sense of power and anonymity to vent their frustrations towards people who had nothing to do with their failures.

This is the best description of the Internet I have read in some time.

I've been here for almost 13 years, Lost a lot of brain cells a long the process thanks to CDC, but this Canuck addiction is going to the grave with me.

It's a shame that the join dates reset with the new forum in 03. I've looked over some old forum snapshots from 2001 and it's fun to see how things have changed

http://web.archive.org/web/20010418184630/http://www.canucks.com/board/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2&CAT_ID=2&Forum_Title=Canucks+Talk

I would like to congratulate you for being under 10,000 posts.

I guess 9k posts isn't bad for how long I've been here. I'm lagging way behind Vintage

It's not really fair to compare post counts of people that joined way back when to now because the post count has reset, and there was a period when posts in WN, Fantasy Hockey did not add to the overall post count, plus people back then did not have access to CDC on their phone constantly where posting is just like texting. The post counts of recent users are very inflated in comparison to you guys.

I don't think it ever reset. Fair point about WN and Fantasy Hockey, though.

Archived