The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raise it for Ryp golf tournament

JasonSolaris

I went last year and again am going this year. I don't go for the 'celebrity' of it all, I go because mental illness along with PTSD/OSI injuries hit really close to home for me having been deployed overseas.

However, to answer your questions, it is organized VERY well, you show up and park...somebody comes and grabs your bag and puts it on your respective cart with your team (2 years in a row i've entered just as a single) They give you a little goodie bag and a Raise it 4 Ryp hat. You get unlimited balls at the driving range before the shot gun start and that's really where you could MOST do your meeting and greeting with current/forme Canucks and whoever.

Last year I was on the putting green putting alongside Thomas Gradin and everyone else was just roaming around, Jack Macgillargy (Sp?) was pretty good with going around introducing himself and asking how everyone was doing, etc. After the round there is a reception hall where everybody has their designated tables for eating along with silent auction items which range from autographed pucks to trips to Mexico (A LOT of really good silent auction prizes - I made out with a Garrison signed puck, Garrison and Bieksa signed helmet and Jim Vandermeer (lol) signed stick, all for about $200) I found, for me anyways, it wasn't exactly the place to bring a Bieksa jersey to have signed or pose with a picture, the players are very approachable as I talked to every single Canuck in attendance last year because I was trying to trade a local Vancouver prize for something on the Island where I live and they were all easy going, especially Dale Weise (who won long drive). Things got a bit more serious at the dinner/prize announcements because that was another time to reflect on why we are really there. Dan Murphy was there last year who I have met numerous times and we always stop and chat because he has a cousin who is JTF2 in the Forces and Murph likes to chat with me and see how i'm doing, he's a solid guy.

Every hole has some sort of competition, food/beer or prize giveaway, Houston Hair and James Lepp are there to do long drive and help with teaching flop shots, it was really cool to have those guys throughout.

I know this was a wall of text, but so much goes on in 1 little day so if you have more specifics i'll follow this thread and answer anything else you have.

I made out with a Garrison signed puck, Garrison and Bieksa signed helmet and Jim Vandermeer (lol) signed stick, all for about $200) I found, for me anyways, it wasn't exactly the place to bring a Bieksa jersey to have signed or pose with a picture, the players are very approachable as I talked to every single Canuck in attendance last year because I was trying to trade a local Vancouver prize for something on the Island where I live and they were all easy going, especially Dale Weise (who won long drive).

Please explain

hey diesel_3:

silly question to ask, but are people attending the dinner's event, allowed/can they bring photos for players to sign or is that frowned upon/nono?

thanks for your help!

I'm sure they could, I don't think it would be necessarily frowned upon by the players because they probably get that everywhere they go, especially the group that is coming, Tanner Glass/Andrew Ebbett don't strike me as guys who would turn down a fan photo op. The best time to do the mingling would be in between the round and the dinner, there was probably an hour or so in between and that's when I chatted with most of the players and caught up with Dan Murphy.

As the tournament grows bigger each year, i'm sure it's going to draw a lot more 'fans' than actual friends/family/sponsors....Last year it seemed like every 4 some had SOMEBODY who had donated something or was a sponsor.

Hope this helps a bit.

I went last year and again am going this year. I don't go for the 'celebrity' of it all, I go because mental illness along with PTSD/OSI injuries hit really close to home for me having been deployed overseas.

However, to answer your questions, it is organized VERY well, you show up and park...somebody comes and grabs your bag and puts it on your respective cart with your team (2 years in a row i've entered just as a single) They give you a little goodie bag and a Raise it 4 Ryp hat. You get unlimited balls at the driving range before the shot gun start and that's really where you could MOST do your meeting and greeting with current/forme Canucks and whoever.

Last year I was on the putting green putting alongside Thomas Gradin and everyone else was just roaming around, Jack Macgillargy (Sp?) was pretty good with going around introducing himself and asking how everyone was doing, etc. After the round there is a reception hall where everybody has their designated tables for eating along with silent auction items which range from autographed pucks to trips to Mexico (A LOT of really good silent auction prizes - I made out with a Garrison signed puck, Garrison and Bieksa signed helmet and Jim Vandermeer (lol) signed stick, all for about $200) I found, for me anyways, it wasn't exactly the place to bring a Bieksa jersey to have signed or pose with a picture, the players are very approachable as I talked to every single Canuck in attendance last year because I was trying to trade a local Vancouver prize for something on the Island where I live and they were all easy going, especially Dale Weise (who won long drive). Things got a bit more serious at the dinner/prize announcements because that was another time to reflect on why we are really there. Dan Murphy was there last year who I have met numerous times and we always stop and chat because he has a cousin who is JTF2 in the Forces and Murph likes to chat with me and see how i'm doing, he's a solid guy.

Every hole has some sort of competition, food/beer or prize giveaway, Houston Hair and James Lepp are there to do long drive and help with teaching flop shots, it was really cool to have those guys throughout.

I know this was a wall of text, but so much goes on in 1 little day so if you have more specifics i'll follow this thread and answer anything else you have.

Atta boy, Salute!

Archived