The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toronto Loses The NHL Draft Scouting Combine To.......

SabreFan1

Looks awesome.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but interestingly Aquaman is trying to build a similar thing here in Van on the Plaza of Nations land. The proposal has been around for 3 years and is currently before the City of Vancouver planning department.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/07/750-pacific-boulevard-skybridge-buildings/

From City of Vancouver Proposal Page, the following major public benefits include, among others, the following:

• Community Centre: the heart of the neighbourhood amenity facilities is the Community Centre which includes, among other things; day care centre for 69 children; community rooms; publically accessible ice hockey/skating rink that will be used by the community and as a training facility for the Canucks; and a sports science centre. In addition, all operating costs will be absorbed and indemnified by the applicant
  • False Creek Seaside Walkway and Bike Route: completion of the north side False Creek seaside walkway and bike route between Coopers Park Neigh- bourhood and the foot of the Georgia Street axis will be achieved. This adds 363m (1,190 ft) of finished seaside walkway and bike route to False Creek.
  • Civic Plaza: a major public outdoor event space is proposed on the water- front at the southerly apex of the site. This flexible space of approximately 4,500m (48,500 sf) will accommodate a wide range of audiences ranging from small gatherings up to 4,000 people. The event calendar will primarily be focused between spring and fall. It has the potential of accommodating a variety of neighbourly activities such as music, art shows, theatre presen- tations, and neighbourhood gatherings. The Civic Plaza replaces the original event space in the Plaza of Nations. This location gives uninterrupted south- erly views to the water and maximizes sun access.

If this project were to proceed as proposed, the following 22 elements will be part of the project scope.

750-Pacific-Boulevard-Buildings-e1341381

1 Community Centre
2 Daycare
3 Ice rink
4 Canucks facilities
5 Sports medicine
6 Expo forest
7 1,500 to 2,000 residential units
8 Retail at grade including restaurants and cafes
9 Commercial
10 Hotel
11 Civic Plaza
12 False Creek Seaside Walkway and Bike Route
13 Public open space deck
14 Public Ferry
15 Transient moorage
16 Non-motorized moorage
17 Commercial moorage
Shoreline Features
18 Naturalized foreshore in westerly bay
19 Extension of length of seaside walk on piles
20 Maintain easterly foreshore with seawalk on bridge
21 Sub-tidal reef
22 Subtidal and intertidal enhancements along shoreline

More photos of the proposal:

750-Pacific-Blvd-e1341381607823.png?d03c

750-Skybridge-Building-Proposal-e1341381

Looks awesome.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but interestingly Aquaman is trying to build a similar thing here in Van on the Plaza of Nations land. The proposal has been around for 3 years and is currently before the City of Vancouver planning department.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/07/750-pacific-boulevard-skybridge-buildings/

From City of Vancouver Proposal Page, the following major public benefits include, among others, the following:

• Community Centre: the heart of the neighbourhood amenity facilities is the Community Centre which includes, among other things; day care centre for 69 children; community rooms; publically accessible ice hockey/skating rink that will be used by the community and as a training facility for the Canucks; and a sports science centre. In addition, all operating costs will be absorbed and indemnified by the applicant
  • False Creek Seaside Walkway and Bike Route: completion of the north side False Creek seaside walkway and bike route between Coopers Park Neigh- bourhood and the foot of the Georgia Street axis will be achieved. This adds 363m (1,190 ft) of finished seaside walkway and bike route to False Creek.
  • Civic Plaza: a major public outdoor event space is proposed on the water- front at the southerly apex of the site. This flexible space of approximately 4,500m (48,500 sf) will accommodate a wide range of audiences ranging from small gatherings up to 4,000 people. The event calendar will primarily be focused between spring and fall. It has the potential of accommodating a variety of neighbourly activities such as music, art shows, theatre presen- tations, and neighbourhood gatherings. The Civic Plaza replaces the original event space in the Plaza of Nations. This location gives uninterrupted south- erly views to the water and maximizes sun access.

If this project were to proceed as proposed, the following 22 elements will be part of the project scope.

750-Pacific-Boulevard-Buildings-e1341381

1 Community Centre

2 Daycare

3 Ice rink

4 Canucks facilities

5 Sports medicine

6 Expo forest

7 1,500 to 2,000 residential units

8 Retail at grade including restaurants and cafes

9 Commercial

10 Hotel

11 Civic Plaza

12 False Creek Seaside Walkway and Bike Route

13 Public open space deck

14 Public Ferry

15 Transient moorage

16 Non-motorized moorage

17 Commercial moorage

Shoreline Features

18 Naturalized foreshore in westerly bay

19 Extension of length of seaside walk on piles

20 Maintain easterly foreshore with seawalk on bridge

21 Sub-tidal reef

22 Subtidal and intertidal enhancements along shoreline

More photos of the proposal:

750-Pacific-Blvd-e1341381607823.png?d03c

750-Skybridge-Building-Proposal-e1341381

Man, that looks great. It's stuff like this that makes me want to do architecture...or play a GOOD Simcity game.

#7 Residential Units kinda looks weird for residential units. Not sure if i'm a fan of blocking so much skyview for no reason. Meaning the bridge building. If the point is to save greenspace, then merely go eco and put greenspace on top of the buildings.

Wow if that gets approved I'm sure NHL Excecs wouldn't mind having the combine here in a few years, after Buffalo has had some fun. Vancouver is a great spot to spend some time in June

It has already been approved. The two finalists were Buffalo and Pittsburgh. It was nearly a foregone conclusion that Buffalo was getting it, according to people close to the process, because of the amenities that the HarborCenter complex offers.

It's a nice throat punch to Toronto. Not only does Toronto no longer have a chance of getting the Bills anymore, Buffalo then took an NHL based asset away from the city! :P^_^

Only the delusional ones thought that Toronto was ever getting the Bills. The logistics of a NFL franchise in Canada just don't seem viable. I doubt the Bon Jovi group or the Trump group (or were they combined?) ever considered bringing the franchise to Toronto anyway. It was just a way for MLSE/Rogers to get their foot in the NFL imo.

Buffalo hosting the combine is a plus for all of the NHL. It will actually make the combine as an event into a much bigger deal as I think it was pretty much a closed off event in Toronto. Like seriously anyone even have a location for where it was held? It may as well have been held in Phoenix and it would not have made much of a difference. I am glad Pegula is investing money into making it much bigger.

Only the delusional ones thought that Toronto was ever getting the Bills. The logistics of a NFL franchise in Canada just don't seem viable. I doubt the Bon Jovi group or the Trump group (or were they combined?) ever considered bringing the franchise to Toronto anyway. It was just a way for MLSE/Rogers to get their foot in the NFL imo.

Toronto can barely support the Argonauts and for the last 7 years have been bragging they were going to take the Bills.

Trump said he would keep them in Buffalo, but it wouldn't shock me if in the future he says, "nah, I would have moved them to LA after the lease was up and then immediately sold them for 2-3 times what I paid for them".

The Rogers family have wanted to move the Bills to Toronto for some time now. Bon Jovi is so desperate now to buy, and move the team that he tried to bring Jim Kelly and Jeffrey Gundlach into his Toronto ownership group.

According to many, the Toronto group is only still in it so Morgan Stanley can try and save face and run up the price of the team. It will be pretty cool seeing Terry and his wife owning and running both the Sabres and the Bills.

Toronto can barely support the Argonauts and for the last 7 years have been bragging they were going to take the Bills.

Trump said he would keep them in Buffalo, but it wouldn't shock me if in the future he says, "nah, I would have moved them to LA after the lease was up and then immediately sold them for 2-3 times what I paid for them".

The Rogers family have wanted to move the Bills to Toronto for some time now. Bon Jovi is so desperate now to buy, and move the team that he tried to bring Jim Kelly and Jeffrey Gundlach into his Toronto ownership group.

According to many, the Toronto group is only still in it so Morgan Stanley can try and save face and run up the price of the team. It will be pretty cool seeing Terry and his wife owning and running both the Sabres and the Bills.

I don't know who you have heard that is "bragging" about wanting a NFL franchise. Most football fans in Canada are CFL fans, most football fans in Toronto are Argos fans. If a NFL team does come to Toronto it would pretty much mean the death of the Argos. Most Argos fans and in extension football fans (in Toronto) are not interested in seeing that. I see a lot of American fans look down upon the CFL (I am a Canadian who lived in Chicago). But trust me when I say that in Canada there are lot of hardcore CFL fans who love their teams. There is little interest in the public about seeing a NFL franchise in Canada let alone Toronto. So the whole "bragging they were going to take the Bills" comment is laughably misguided.

The Argos are the oldest existing professional sports team in North America still using its original name. They have existed for 141 years. Your franchise in Buffalo just hit 50 years this year. I am offended by your suggestion that an entire city of Canadians wants to take away your franchise, especially when there is a already a franchise that is deeply intrenched in that city's history. Its possible you did not mean anything by that comment but living in America I have seen so many people think of the CFL as some joke of a league.

Also just something to look at:

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/17/argos-fans-torch-bon-jovi-cds-to-protest-bills-bid

I don't know who you have heard that is "bragging" about wanting a NFL franchise. Most football fans in Canada are CFL fans, most football fans in Toronto are Argos fans. If a NFL team does come to Toronto it would pretty much mean the death of the Argos. Most Argos fans and in extension football fans (in Toronto) are not interested in seeing that. I see a lot of American fans look down upon the CFL (I am a Canadian who lived in Chicago). But trust me when I say that in Canada there are lot of hardcore CFL fans who love their teams. There is little interest in the public about seeing a NFL franchise in Canada let alone Toronto. So the whole "bragging they were going to take the Bills" comment is laughably misguided.

Also just something to look at:

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/17/argos-fans-torch-bon-jovi-cds-to-protest-bills-bid

I've read that article the other day.

Up until recently there were Torontonians bragging every chance they could that they were going to get the Bills. Now that it's obvious that Toronto isn't getting the team, almost all went back into hiding.

Heck, even Donte Whitner started calling them the "Toronto Bills" 2-3 months ago.

I've read that article the other day.

Up until recently there were Torontonians bragging every chance they could that they were going to get the Bills. Now that it's obvious that Toronto isn't getting the team, almost all went back into hiding.

Heck, even Donte Whitner started calling them the "Toronto Bills" 2-3 months ago.

So you are still going with that? Was all of Toronto bragging about getting the BIlls? The team hasn't even been sold yet so I don't even know who was bragging and who went back into hiding. The chances of a NFL franchise coming to Canada were just as slim as today as it was a year ago or 7 years ago for that matter. The logistics of bringing a NFL franchise here are not viable. I am not saying that they could not fill stadiums and generate interest in the team. But the NFL relies on rich TV deals and advertising to make money and a franchise in Canada would not get that. There are honestly like a ton of issues and stumbling blocks for a Toronto franchise.

A couple of loud mouths like Tim Leiweke (who is not even Canadian btw) who claim that the NFL is coming here just like to talk big. They don't understand the football scene here in Canada and they think the public is desperate to see a team here just like you do apparently. Like I already said it my earlier post which you decided to conveniently ignore, there are football fans in Canada and they are all pretty much CFL fans. A NFL franchise in Toronto is very harmful to the Argos and the CFL as a whole. They don't want to see a NFL franchise in Canada. You seem to love your Bills yet you cannot acknowledge that Canadian fans and Toronto fans love the teams that are already there. The Toronto Argonauts have existed for 141 years, about 91 years more than your Bills.

Have you considered all this insecurity might not just be originating in Buffalo? You want to make yourself believe that you somehow managed to repel those pesky Canadians from taking away your team. You would rather believe that than accept that they weren't very interested your team in the first place. Seriously I would love to know the results for all the people from Toronto you apparently surveyed to come to a conclusion that "Toronto was bragging about getting a NFL franchise". I think you probably came to this conclusion based on an "internet argument" with a couple of trolls who likely weren't even Canadian.

Speaking of trolls who are not Canadian. Who cares about what Donte Whitner has to say? Is he Canadian? Nope. Is he at all connected to Toronto? Absolutely not. So why is it even relevant what some idiot with a twitter account has to say? He seems to have obviously gotten you all riled up if you think he has any relevance to our discussion. Maybe that's what your problem is you seem to be far too insecure like a lot of the Bills fans.

I don't want to go there but you give me no choice. Toronto is the 4th largest city in NA and like a number of cities in Canada is significantly better than Buffalo. The two major league franchises in Toronto, the Raptors and Jays have national level support in Canada. Yes that's right these teams have a large number of fans all over Canada. I would guess that there are more Jays and Raptors fans outside of Toronto than there are actually in it. We as Canadians can easily find the numbers to support a major league franchise but we already have our own football league. So please don't accuse any of us of trying to take your team because of a couple of deep pocket billionaires might have interest in bringing your team to Canada.

I will continue this in the PMs if you are interested in discussing this more. At this point we are wildly off topic and derailing this thread with this discussion.

Archived