The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toronto Loses The NHL Draft Scouting Combine To.......

SabreFan1

So you are still going with that? Was all of Toronto bragging about getting the BIlls? The team hasn't even been sold yet so I don't even know who was bragging and who went back into hiding. The chances of a NFL franchise coming to Canada were just as slim as today as it was a year ago or 7 years ago for that matter. The logistics of bringing a NFL franchise here are not viable. I am not saying that they could not fill stadiums and generate interest in the team. But the NFL relies on rich TV deals and advertising to make money and a franchise in Canada would not get that. There are honestly like a ton of issues and stumbling blocks for a Toronto franchise.

A couple of loud mouths like Tim Leiweke (who is not even Canadian btw) who claim that the NFL is coming here just like to talk big. They don't understand the football scene here in Canada and they think the public is desperate to see a team here just like you do apparently. Like I already said it my earlier post which you decided to conveniently ignore, there are football fans in Canada and they are all pretty much CFL fans. A NFL franchise in Toronto is very harmful to the Argos and the CFL as a whole. They don't want to see a NFL franchise in Canada. You seem to love your Bills yet you cannot acknowledge that Canadian fans and Toronto fans love the teams that are already there. The Toronto Argonauts have existed for 141 years, about 91 years more than your Bills.

Have you considered all this insecurity might not just be originating in Buffalo? You want to make yourself believe that you somehow managed to repel those pesky Canadians from taking away your team. You would rather believe that than accept that they weren't very interested your team in the first place. Seriously I would love to know the results for all the people from Toronto you apparently surveyed to come to a conclusion that "Toronto was bragging about getting a NFL franchise". I think you probably came to this conclusion based on an "internet argument" with a couple of trolls who likely weren't even Canadian.

Speaking of trolls who are not Canadian. Who cares about what Donte Whitner has to say? Is he Canadian? Nope. Is he at all connected to Toronto? Absolutely not. So why is it even relevant what some idiot with a twitter account has to say? He seems to have obviously gotten you all riled up if you think he has any relevance to our discussion. Maybe that's what your problem is you seem to be far too insecure like a lot of the Bills fans.

I don't want to go there but you give me no choice. Toronto is the 4th largest city in NA and like a number of cities in Canada is significantly better than Buffalo. The two major league franchises in Toronto, the Raptors and Jays have national level support in Canada. Yes that's right these teams have a large number of fans all over Canada. I would guess that there are more Jays and Raptors fans outside of Toronto than there are actually in it. We as Canadians can easily find the numbers to support a major league franchise but we already have our own football league. So please don't accuse any of us of trying to take your team because of a couple of deep pocket billionaires might have interest in bringing your team to Canada.

I will continue this in the PMs if you are interested in discussing this more. At this point we are wildly off topic and derailing this thread with this discussion.

Really? You wanted to turn a discussion about the Bills' sale and turn it into this? I could debate it further, but there's no point and we would both be wasting our time.

Really? You wanted to turn a discussion about the Bills' sale and turn it into this? I could debate it further, but there's no point and we would both be wasting our time.

Nope you chose to make the Bills' sale about "Torontonians bragging every chance they could that they were going to get the Bills". I just chose to respond to it as a proud Canadian and a CFL fan. :)

Again you haven't really answered my question as to who was it that was "bragging"? But I don't think there is an answer to be found there. Well I come to this forum to waste some time so I don't mind debating it some more. I can understand your reluctance though. :P

Nope you chose to make the Bills' sale about "Torontonians bragging every chance they could that they were going to get the Bills". I just chose to respond to it as a proud Canadian and a CFL fan. :)

Again you haven't really answered my question as to who was it that was "bragging"? But I don't think there is an answer to be found there. Well I come to this forum to waste some time so I don't mind debating it some more. I can understand your reluctance though. :P

It's been rifling through the Ontario media (mostly the Toronto Sun) for the last few years and I have a few of acquaintances in Southern Ontario and one in Toronto that have talked about it a lot over the same time period. There's this one prick hockey reporter in particular that used to love to toot that one particular horn every time he would take shots at Buffalo. The Southern Ontario friends were upset about the idea but the one Torontonian acquaintance and from what he said about his friends were pretty stoked about it. He was actually the guy who made me aware that the Argonauts have had the second lowest attendance in the CFL. I had always thought the CFL was very popular in Toronto.

Going onto football message boards in the past also brought the Toronto NFL fans out of the woodwork on occasion as well. In the last couple of months, since it became obvious that Toronto had no shot at getting the Bills, they've all but disappeared.

I understand the proud Canadian thing though, before customs became a pain in the butt I used to go clubbing on Lundy's Lane in the 90's, mostly at Rumours, and I got to know a handful of Canadians. One of whom I ended up hooking him up with a friend of mine, and before I lost touch with them years ago she (my US friend) had applied to Canada for dual citizenship so she could go live together with him. Back then Lundy's lane had 4 nightclubs, but when the mall got demolished around 1995, Rumours was the only good club left. I have a few funny memories from back then, but my favourite one was when I wanted to mess with a Canadian and good naturedly get under his/her skin all I would have to say was, "ahhh Canada, the 51st state", and that would get them going for a good 20 min. every time I said it. lol

It's been rifling through the Ontario media (mostly the Toronto Sun) for the last few years and I have a few of acquaintances in Southern Ontario and one in Toronto that have talked about it a lot over the same time period. There's this one prick hockey reporter in particular that used to love to toot that one particular horn every time he would take shots at Buffalo. The Southern Ontario friends were upset about the idea but the one Torontonian acquaintance and from what he said about his friends were pretty stoked about it. He was actually the guy who made me aware that the Argonauts have had the second lowest attendance in the CFL. I had always thought the CFL was very popular in Toronto.

Going onto football message boards in the past also brought the Toronto NFL fans out of the woodwork on occasion as well. In the last couple of months, since it became obvious that Toronto had no shot at getting the Bills, they've all but disappeared.

I understand the proud Canadian thing though, before customs became a pain in the butt I used to go clubbing on Lundy's Lane in the 90's, mostly at Rumours, and I got to know a handful of Canadians. One of whom I ended up hooking him up with a friend of mine, and before I lost touch with them years ago she (my US friend) had applied to Canada for dual citizenship so she could go live together with him. Back then Lundy's lane had 4 nightclubs, but when the mall got demolished around 1995, Rumours was the only good club left. I have a few funny memories from back then, but my favourite one was when I wanted to mess with a Canadian and good naturedly get under his/her skin all I would have to say was, "ahhh Canada, the 51st state", and that would get them going for a good 20 min. every time I said it. lol

There might be some people who might genuinely be interested in an NFL franchise in Toronto. I just disagreed with the statement that "Torontonians brag about getting the Bills" when among the football fans in Canada would rather see the CFL thrive than bring a NFL franchise that hurts the CFL. If you had even added the word "some" before the start of that I would not have written my essay about it. :P

You have to realize that there are a lot of internet trolls who like to rile up people, it does not mean these people were Canadian or even football fans.

Nice story. I lived in Chicago for 4 years and hence I picked up a lot of the Chicago sports teams. You must probably know that Chicago is a football town, even when some of the other major sports teams saw runs of success the Bears were the most popular sports team. I used to avoid getting into arguments with my friends over the CFL because there was no winning. The NFL is the better league with a bigger following and with better talent. All of that is undeniable but I could still not help feel irritated when they made fun of the CFL. My apologies if you felt I was ranting, I think I am just rather sentimental about this topic lol.

Archived