The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

I confess ~

I've been listening to REM.  Ever since one of those champagne evenings when I was listening to 90s bands to the early hours of the morning. I don't remember if it was the cranberry sparkling wine or the extra dry champagne I was drinking, but it was probably delicious because I love champagne so much, but since then, I'm so into the  REM. It's all about listening to the REM.  One particular time at Bumbershoot, REM was playing, and they had lyrics on paper for a song, and Michael Stipe threw the papers into the crowd after the song and a security guard gave me one of them and it had Michael Stipe's eye liner on it, and I was like - oh baby! Michael Stipe's eye liner! I was in the front row and the person next to me was a really excited fan and I got annoyed because I'm so quiet at shows and it was a little too much for me.  I  clap after a song and smile, but I'm quiet at concerts, but I do get excited at hockey games and cheer. 

On 7/26/2021 at 8:19 PM, brilac said:

I confess ~

I  clap after a song and smile, but I'm quiet at concerts, but I do get excited at hockey games and cheer. 

Pacific Northwest cred checks out :P 

Edited by Wilbur
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I am an alcoholic. Today is day one of detox. Any support is very much welcomed. If anyone would like to pm me and chat that would be great too.

All the best to you. Lost my uncle and a cousin to this, because in part they never took the step you did. 

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 3
1 hour ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I am an alcoholic. Today is day one of detox. Any support is very much welcomed. If anyone would like to pm me and chat that would be great too.

I confess that I also am an alcoholic, but I don't drink any more. If you keep at it you will come to a point where your brain will try to trick you into drinking again. "One won't hurt" Yes it will. Be diligent and watch for those moments. Part of you still wants to drink and you have to be strong when those moments invariably arise. Any bad or negative incidents in your life might trigger that response. Something innocuous like a song or an action by others might trigger deep seated memories that you're not even aware of. You'll get cravings out of the blue. Don't cave into them. You're worth more than that.

Good luck.

• Thanks 3
  • Huggy Bear 1
2 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

The folks at 

Alcoholics Anonymous will be happy to help you as much as they can.

Attend at least one meeting a day for the first bit. Listen and share with the group. after awhile you will find a few people that seem to make the most sense to you and your particular struggles. One of those maybe become your 'sponsor'.

MY mom has 30 years of sobriety, and even now it is, and always will be One Day At a Time.

Today you will not drink, worry about tomorrow when it becomes today.

Best of luck, you CAN do this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I confess that I also am an alcoholic, but I don't drink any more. If you keep at it you will come to a point where your brain will try to trick you into drinking again. "One won't hurt" Yes it will. Be diligent and watch for those moments. Part of you still wants to drink and you have to be strong when those moments invariably arise. Any bad or negative incidents in your life might trigger that response. Something innocuous like a song or an action by others might trigger deep seated memories that you're not even aware of. You'll get cravings out of the blue. Don't cave into them. You're worth more than that.

Good luck.

Thanks for the kind words. In the last 7 years I had sober a period of 2 years and another of 6 months. I quit smoking 12 years ago with no relapses but booze has been a different fight.

11 hours ago, gurn said:

The folks at 

Alcoholics Anonymous will be happy to help you as much as they can.

Attend at least one meeting a day for the first bit. Listen and share with the group. after awhile you will find a few people that seem to make the most sense to you and your particular struggles. One of those maybe become your 'sponsor'.

MY mom has 30 years of sobriety, and even now it is, and always will be One Day At a Time.

Today you will not drink, worry about tomorrow when it becomes today.

Best of luck, you CAN do this.

Thank you gurn. I’ve been in touch with them. There are a couple of their pillars I can relate to and a couple I can’t. As far as a sponsor I am definitely looking for a mentor. I’m 50 so someone older with a long stretch of sobriety would be best.

• Upvote 2

I confess - this place feels like it had devolved into an endless loop where every thread ended up being about JB rather than the topic of the thread. It drove me away for most of the  past few seasons. 

In a moment of utter hopelessness I logged on to reach out and there are a few beauties here that have been very supportive. Thanks so much. Thanks to all that responded and to those that pm’d their support, it means more than you think.

much love

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 3
13 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I confess - this place feels like it had devolved into an endless loop where every thread ended up being about JB rather than the topic of the thread. It drove me away for most of the  past few seasons. 

In a moment of utter hopelessness I logged on to reach out and there are a few beauties here that have been very supportive. Thanks so much. Thanks to all that responded and to those that pm’d their support, it means more than you think.

much love

I confess - I struggle too.

Only from the few seasons I've been here, I'll offer that in the most recent I've felt a change for the better from our kindred posters contributions:)

One foot in front of the other starts us all on a journey of ten thousand miles or more. 

Stanley's Cup and a healthy relationship with alcohol and substances will confirm the worth of our shared efforts, disappointments and participation.

Together.:canucks:

• Like 1
On 9/8/2021 at 3:40 PM, Salacious Crumb said:

much love

I hope you're still sticking with it. Even if you falter, you can just quit drinking again. I went through quitting and starting and quitting again for years before I finally stopped altogether.

My friends and I used to drink and party a lot. We used to have a thing where we would prank our passed out friends. Usually putting makeup on them or even dresses.

One time I shaved off half of my friends moustache.. When he woke up, he would touch the half that was still there and not the shaved side. It took him a while to finally notice. I didn't tell anyone that it was me that did it, so no one knew who to blame. Two of my other friends laughed the hardest, so he assumed it was them. He loved his stache so he was very mad about it. He waited a while and a few weeks later he bought a bunch of alcohol and fed them booze until they passed out. He shaved then bald. At the time it seemed hilarious, but now I think that it must have sucked for the people getting pranked.

We convince ourselves that we can't have fun and enjoy life without alcohol. That's not true. I finally quit after I realized that i didn't really enjoy drinking and was doing it because that's what I knew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
On 9/9/2021 at 9:21 AM, Cat Man said:

I confess - I struggle too.

Only from the few seasons I've been here, I'll offer that in the most recent I've felt a change for the better from our kindred posters contributions:)

One foot in front of the other starts us all on a journey of ten thousand miles or more. 

Stanley's Cup and a healthy relationship with alcohol and substances will confirm the worth of our shared efforts, disappointments and participation.

Together.:canucks:

It's just the old saying mate opinions are like @$$holes every one has one.

And like @$$holes some are smellier than others.

One has to find worth within oneself not in others achievements or by the use of substances.

And everyone has worth. 

I find a sense of worth in giving to others,in both my time and resources.

It is very rewarding to know you have helped someone,somehow.

• Vintage 1
5 hours ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

Thanks, but that would be a terrible investment :lol:

I'm sort of 1/2 joking with you. Sometimes in life you need to splurge once or twice on something dumb. I mean, don't bankrupt yourself but if you can do it once, have fun. 

11 minutes ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

Thanks man. I've already splurged on a few things earlier. Just some books and some clothing ya know.

I did it .

Bought a convertible Audi back in 08.

Still have it, love the car but I spent a year or so with buyers remorse because it was expensive. 

Don't over extend yourself but also, a sick BMW could also give you years of enjoyment. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1