The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Naslund confirms he spoke with president Linden about management job with Canucks

TheRussianRocket.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/559510

When former Vancouver Canucks captain Markus Naslund resigned as the general manager of Örnsköldsvik-based SHL club Modo this past spring, there was some speculation that he might join Vancouver's management team. Naslund was quick to deny those rumors and even denied being in Vancouver, where he was frequently spotted around town.

As it turns out, Naslund did talk with his former teammate and current Vancouver Canucks president Trevor Linden and even confirmed that there was some talk albeit informal, preliminary talk about joining Vancouver's new-look management team.

"I had some contact with Trevor, but not more than that he wanted to discuss some stuff with me (informally)," said the former Canucks captain of his conversations with his former teammate (and fellow former Canucks captain) in an interview with Jonatan Lindquist of Expressen.

"Earlier there was talk about (finding a management role in Vancouver), but I don't feel ready for that. If I would decide to work in hockey, it should be with all of my heart, I can't do anything at 50 per cent," continued Naslund, whose No. 19 hangs from the rafters at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, B.C.

While Naslund, who is credited with saving Modo a club that was on the brink of relegation in his first season wasn't ready to jump into a management role this summer, at some point he seems a likely candidate to work in an NHL front office. His primary motivation? Winning the Stanley Cup that alluded his grasp as a player.

"Absolutely, that's what haunts me inside and a drive that's certainly there," Naslund said of winning a Stanley Cup as a front-office executive.

"But then you have to weigh that against everything else. If I'm gonna work with hockey it's probably gonna be something over there. Sure, I can work as a scout here but it will likely mean that I move," Naslund continued.

"Is it worth it when you have kids [who] have made their roots here, with friends, school and the community? Only for me to get a chance to fulfill my dream when I've been living that life for so many years. Now, I'm not saying that my family is stopping me in any way, but sometimes I get a bit of bad conscience over the fact that it's always on my terms."

Nazzy sounds like he's very much up to come back here. Just a few family things holding him back but it's more him putting that on himself.

Don't be surprised if Nazzy joins the Canucks managerial staff in the near future; clearly he has the ambition but isn't 100% committed as of now. That can change though. And props to Linden for reaching out to Markus, would make our organization that much more reputable if we had him.

Linden has always been a family man. Good on him. When his kids are older and he's gained more experience doing whatever it is he will do next, I would love to see him come back. It would be good timing too, as Benning, Linden and Desjardins will (hopefully) have grown into their jobs and will be more equipped to mentor Naslund as a rookie NHL executive.

One of the things I loved about Mike Gillis was his ability to think outside of the box.

A good example is how he sent Jensen to the SEL instead of back to the OHL and Grenier to the Austrian league when he wasn't quite ready for the AHL.

It didn't work out too well with Jensen but I think as a pilot program it was successful enough to develop further.

I would love to see Naslund in an assistant GM role responsible for European players. Whether it is negotiating NHL contracts for guys overseas, overseeing scouting, and building relationships with SEL teams to loan players back and forth.

I am not certain how it works. Jensen was loaned to AIK while under contract with the Canucks. A guy like Bo Horvat may benefit playing against men in the SEL vs another season against boys in the OHL.

Naslund has always been a family man. Good on him. When his kids are older and he's gained more experience doing whatever it is he will do next, I would love to see him come back. It would be good timing too, as Benning, Linden and Desjardins will (hopefully) have grown into their jobs and will be more equipped to mentor Naslund as a rookie NHL executive.

Fixed

Need to tread very carefully here, Edmonton's problems the last two decades have a lot do with bringing back big names from their legacy years to fill important business and management roles and we have all seen how that has worked out for them. Naslund was never good infront of a micro phone - but maybe that has changed. At least Forsberg and him have played team owners/managers for a while back home and it won't be completely new for him but my hope is Benning and Co' seek out the best hires they can to fill their support and important organizational spots. Maybe that includes Naslund but turning this into an oldtimers club never works out in this league and I pray that isn't the fate that his team has in store.

One of the things I loved about Mike Gillis was his ability to think outside of the box.

A good example is how he sent Jensen to the SEL instead of back to the OHL and Grenier to the Austrian league when he wasn't quite ready for the AHL.

It didn't work out too well with Jensen but I think as a pilot program it was successful enough to develop further.

I would love to see Naslund in an assistant GM role responsible for European players. Whether it is negotiating NHL contracts for guys overseas, overseeing scouting, and building relationships with SEL teams to loan players back and forth.

I am not certain how it works. Jensen was loaned to AIK while under contract with the Canucks. A guy like Bo Horvat may benefit playing against men in the SEL vs another season against boys in the OHL.

Totally. He dominates the ice now and it would be such a bummer for him to play spend another year in junior.

Need to tread very carefully here, Edmonton's problems the last two decades have a lot do with bringing back big names from their legacy years to fill important business and management roles and we have all seen how that has worked out for them. Naslund was never good infront of a micro phone - but maybe that has changed. At least Forsberg and him have played team owners/managers for a while back home and it won't be completely new for him but my hope is Benning and Co' seek out the best hires they can to fill their support and important organizational spots. Maybe that includes Naslund but turning this into an oldtimers club never works out in this league and I pray that isn't the fate that his team has in store.

Agreed. This should be meritocracy not despotism.

Archived