The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Canucks Declare the position of Captain is Vacant before Training Camp?

VegasCanuck

Should WD Choose his own team Captain?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, seeing how Wiilie D. was gushing over how great a person Henrik is and how much he likes the core (as also stated by Jim B.), I can't see a so-called "selection process" for a captain and alternate captains being contemplated.

Henrik has not been without his critics (especially those who championed Kesler be captain), but he has clearly demonstrated that he's a wonderful leader.

The only times I've been critical of Henrik (and Daniel) is when their playoff performance come into question, but then I look at his playoff numbers (99GP - 22G - 52A - 74TP - 56PIM) and ask myself, "self, what's wrong with you?".

IMO, Hank has been a model leader, who appears to have the full and complete respect of his teammates, coaching staff, management, hockey staff, support, and media for the most part (including Bitchford even though he wrote an article questioning/rationalizing why Sedins seem to be free of criticism)...there just seems to be a small segment of the fan base that question Hank as captain every year.

I don't think that is questioning Henrik at all, I don't think there is any fan out there that will question his work ethic or what he brings to the team or the community. You seem a tad confused about considering team needs first. As great a guy as Henrik is, that does not exonerate him from scutiny. It comes down to who is the best choice for the team, who will the players follow when things get tough? It may be Henrik as a soft spoken well mannered skilled player but it may also be a 'blood and guts' type in the Smyl or Linden mold. The choice has to be the guy that fits the players and a guy that can get them to follow him out of the trenches. With all the new faces on the team this year, everyone may embrace Henrik but there is also a chance that his style does not gell with the younger guys. After last seasons disappointment, nothing should be exempt in order to right the franchise and get back on the path to winning a SC.

gretzky, yzerman, sakic, ron francis, mario lemieux, sidney crosby, jonathan toews, scott niedermayer, ray bourque ...

I'm not saying there hasn't been great ones that are captains. In fact Yzerman is my favourite player of all time. And Mario played with a bit of a mean streak. Big physical guy. Anyhow, I'm just saying, I PERSONALLY prefer a captain to be the tough type.

I've always seen Henrik and Naslund before him as the type who seem rather quiet and lead by example. Which is fine. But I'd prefer a rah rah type of player. Just my .02.

Voted Other.

Because it's not about just disrespect.

Henrik is the captain of this team period. There is no other player on this team that can fill that role.

Bieksa (the only other possible candidate - other than Daniel I guess but he wouldn't take the "C" from his brother who is clearly the better leader of the two) is a great "A" but not a "C" - he's too erratic and doesn't have the respect that Henrik has from the league.

Exactly what I was going to put. Taking the C away from Henrik is an amazinly dense thought. Probably the one and only thing this team didn't need to change.

I would be all for it, if we had a rising star that has showed leadership - as OP said, it would be a fresh start.

But we do not. we are not the sharks as we don't have upcommers like pavelski or couture.

Henrik is a great captain and deserves to remain captain

I would think any year that doesn't end with the Stanley Cup being paraded down Robson you'll have people questioning anything they can.

And god. I can't stand Botchford. The head wiggle during his Stud or Dud segment on TSN makes me want to snap.

You speak many truths, Shady (especially about Botched).

For the record, I selected yes.

If this is really a fresh start, then the coach should have the opportunity to go into training camp and see who he thinks best represents the style he wants this team to play and who WD would like to see as the captain for his term as coach.

Hank has played 14 seasons as a Canuck and been in the organisation since he was 19 years old.

Hank has been the Canucks captain for four seasons.

Willie has never coached a game in the NHL or for the Canucks.

I voted no..

This is not meant to show any disrespect to Henrik as I believe he has been a really good Captain for this team over the past few years.

We have very close to a full change of upper management and coaching staff. Full overhaul of the leadership of this team.

Should we be allowing the new coach the opportunity to choose his own Team Captain as we start the new season, just as we allowed our new GM the opportunity to choose his coach?

Again, no disrespect to Henrik, but if we are really trying to overhaul the personality of this team, should that or should that not also include the on-ice leadership?

What's everyone's thoughts?

You say it's not in disrespect, but that's exactly what you are saying.

For the record, I selected yes.

Why? Because the accountability for last year should spread throughout the team. If this is really a fresh start, then the coach should have the opportunity to go into training camp and see who he thinks best represents the style he wants this team to play and who WD would like to see as the captain for his term as coach.

Yes, he may wind up choosing Henrik as his Captain, but I believe that choice should come from a clean slate and based on a clean start from last year.

I may be wrong, but that's my opinion and not hiding from it!

What does it look like if we strip him of the C and then give it back to him less than a month later? What a joke lol. IF that was going to happen (and i strongly voted no) we would only take it from him if we were going to give it to someone right away. And thats not going to happen.

The guy was starting a new thread, and said twice in his opening statement that he meant no disrespect. Merely beginning a discussion. Come on bro.

In what way is it not showing disrespect by removing his "C"? He's been appointed as leader, and suggesting taking that away for no reason, how is that logical, or not a slap in the face of Henrik? He's a leader on and off the ice. Can you picture Crosby or Stamkos just randomly being stripped of the captaincy, and for no good reason?

You say it's not in disrespect, but that's exactly what you are saying.

I think a lot of people are taking a really emotional response on this. Again, I think Henrik has been an excellent Captain for this team over the past few years, but there is a stated objective from Linden and Benning to take more of a meat and potatoes approach to the game and they are looking for that from the players.

They brought in a coach who is supposed to instill that philosophy in the players and get them playing a certain brand of hockey.

With that in mind, the question that I was trying to get answered is, is it fair to a new coach who is expected to get results, to not be completely free to create the on-ice identity of this team with his own Captain?

Would it have been fair to Benning to bring him in and tell him, you have to live with Torts and you will be judged how the team performs under him? Benning got to choose his own coach and approach to the team.

Henrik perfectly embodied AV's approach to this team and yes he is a tireless player and has shown that he has the ability to play through injury and to get the job done. However, he also plays a specific style of game that is not necessarily a reflection of how Linden, Benning and WD have stated that they expect this team to play the 2014 / 2015 season.

Ask yourselves this; If you were taking over any position in business where you would be judged based on how the people under you perform, would you want to be able to choose who your next in command is and make sure that you have an aligned ideals in how everything works? Would it be fair to ask anything else?

Again, this is a hypothetical discussion, emotion aside, on whether or not WD should be given clean slate to shape this team the way he sees it performing best. Normally, that would include full control of on-ice leadership.

Henrik Sedin will retire as a member of this team as will Daniel, and they will both have their number retired, and rightfully so. He will go down in history as one of the best captains this team has ever had!

P.S. I can hardly wait till camp opens so we have other S$#^ to talk about!

Have you played team sports?

It's an interesting dynamic. Having played for years myself, I can make an observation. It's just a personal one, so take it FWIW.

My last year of rep hockey was at the Juvenile level. (A year older than Midget) Our captain (Kent) was a good guy, whom we all respected, however, I'd have to say that it wouldn't have made a huge difference to me if it had been one of the other two or three "leaders" on the team.

About half way through the season, Kent suffered a season-ending knee injury. Barely a few weeks ahead of going to the BC Winter games, I was named team captain.

I can't speak for Kent, but this made a huge difference to me. Even though I'd always felt that I was giving it my all, I found myself digging deeper, working harder and generally trying to be an example to my teammates.

I'd like to think that most captains feel the same about being put in a position of leadership and I'd have to guess that being stripped of the "C" would feel like a body blow, especially to someone like Hank, who has given his heart and soul to this franchise.

Once again, an emphatic "NO" from me...

It's an interesting dynamic. Having played for years myself, I can make an observation. It's just a personal one, so take it FWIW.

My last year of rep hockey was at the Juvenile level. (A year older than Midget) Our captain (Kent) was a good guy, whom we all respected, however, I'd have to say that it wouldn't have made a huge difference to me if it had been one of the other two or three "leaders" on the team.

About half way through the season, Kent suffered a season-ending knee injury. Barely a few weeks ahead of going to the BC Winter games, I was named team captain.

I can't speak for Kent, but this made a huge difference to me. Even though I'd always felt that I was giving it my all, I found myself digging deeper, working harder and generally trying to be an example to my teammates.

I'd like to think that most captains feel the same about being put in a position of leadership and I'd have to guess that being stripped of the "C" would feel like a body blow, especially to someone like Hank, who has given his heart and soul to this franchise.

Once again, an emphatic "NO" from me...

Good insight! Oddly enough, that's also how Smyl became Captain of the team in 1982, when Kevin McCarthy broke his leg. Everyone rallied around Smyl and Neilson (the start of towel power....really, the city of Vancouver should be getting a royalty on sale of towels in the league.... :lol: ) in an unlikely march to the Stanley Cup Finals!

Archived