The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Canucks Declare the position of Captain is Vacant before Training Camp?

VegasCanuck

Should WD Choose his own team Captain?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No. That would be the worst possible way he could start his coaching career in the NHL. One mediocre year in the last six by the Sedins because of a dumb coach who burned them out blocking shots and on the PK etc. and the trolling comes out. In no way this makes sense for the team. Who were you thinking anyways? Giving it to a rookie who has a strong camp? Or Higgins? Huh?

Tell me again why a guy who plays hard minutes every night, almost always against the other teams top D pairing, while barely misses any games, who is steadfast and calm, has the respect of his teammates, and has won significant awards is not captain material?

What if WD feels that Henrik is the perfect example of a leader for the young players coming up? The captain doesn't have to be playing a certain "style", he just has to have a great attitude, hard work ethic, and be someone that not just young players - but everyone - looks up to.

I think this fits Henrik in every way possible, so why would you remove the captaincy from him?

100% this B)

For the record, I selected yes.

Why? Because the accountability for last year should spread throughout the team. If this is really a fresh start, then the coach should have the opportunity to go into training camp and see who he thinks best represents the style he wants this team to play and who WD would like to see as the captain for his term as coach.

Yes, he may wind up choosing Henrik as his Captain, but I believe that choice should come from a clean slate and based on a clean start from last year.

I may be wrong, but that's my opinion and not hiding from it![/

You knew what the answer might be so why did you ask the silly question. A change in captaincy would be terrible for the team. It is as plain as the nose on your face.

Hank is the chairman of the board, the CEO, the godfather of the team. He's respected in the room and around the league. He makes people around him better.

If the team read this post they'd be wondering who the people are that come to the games.

Kissler was probably the only one who thought he was the appointed coming of the team's captain, but he's gone, now we can move on. Beeker is second in command, keeping the boys in line when they think about heading to the Roxy for a night of schnay and redbulls.

They know who it is.

It's old people who tell me to be quiet when I'm hardly being loud (and never profane). Or perhaps that old guy who grabbed my shoulder and tried to physically make me sit down when I was yelling (again without profanity) at the ref during a stoppage in play. Or perhaps it was that old guy who explained why his experience at the games are more important than mine because he is a season ticket holder and my tickets were free (despite me having paid for mine).

The Rog is a place for seniors, that's why it sucks the minute we go down a goal.

They know who it is.

It's old people who tell me to be quiet when I'm hardly being loud (and never profane). Or perhaps that old guy who grabbed my shoulder and tried to physically make me sit down when I was yelling (again without profanity) at the ref during a stoppage in play. Or perhaps it was that old guy who explained why his experience at the games are more important than mine because he is a season ticket holder and my tickets were free (despite me having paid for mine).

The Rog is a place for seniors, that's why it sucks the minute we go down a goal.

I've been to maybe 2 dozen games, most at the Rog and I can't say I disagree with you. Never had an experience with older people literally telling me to be quiet, but I'm there to have a few over priced beers, spill nachos all over myself, and generally have a good time. Fully engaged fans are the best kind there is, and while maybe 60% of the games I've been to have been fun (loud raucous fans, a few waves), I'd say the other 40% fans have been rude (constantly insulting our own players and generally being downers, or just plain quiet) and it really took the fun out of it for myself and my wife. I've been lucky enough to have only seen the Canucks lose 5 times in those 20-25 or so games, and that's still the split. Kinda sad really.

I'd say the other 40% fans have been rude (constantly insulting our own players and generally being downers, or just plain quiet) and it really took the fun out of it for myself and my wife. I've been lucky enough to have only seen the Canucks lose 5 times in those 20-25 or so games, and that's still the split. Kinda sad really.

God forbid some people want to enjoy the game quietly, especially if they don't even say anything to you.

God forbid some people want to enjoy the game quietly, especially if they don't even say anything to you.

What I was saying was, they seemed indifferent to whether we were winning or losing. The crowd can make a big difference for momentum swings and generally being a fun atmosphere to play in and to watch.

What I was saying was, they seemed indifferent to whether we were winning or losing. The crowd can make a big difference for momentum swings and generally being a fun atmosphere to play in and to watch.

I disagree about the momentum swings. I'd assume when they're on the ice the crowd is the last thing they're concerned about, they're probably focused on the game.

I disagree about the momentum swings. I'd assume when they're on the ice the crowd is the last thing they're concerned about, they're probably focused on the game.

Well heck I don't know what it feels like to play in front of 18 thousand people but I do know what it feels like to play for a thousand and it makes a heck of a difference if they're loudly cheering you on compared to sitting there like they're in a library.

Just as our team/organization made a complete leadership change to regain respect and class in the NHL among our peers, you wonder if we should strip the C off one of the most classy players Canucks have ever had and overall in the NHL today? The level of eastern-biased media scrutiny is not enough for us that we need to spoon feed them more topics to thrash our team and city?

Who are the 17 people that voted yes? :picard:

Well what kind of dumb ass move would that be? Sure, let's make some division here and rock the boat before the season even gets underway.

Hank has earned this spot and served it well. No.

This team isn't allowed a drama free lockerroom. If not Luo/Schneider or Kesler not wanting to be here or Torts going ape everywhere.

Archived