The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Canucks Declare the position of Captain is Vacant before Training Camp?

VegasCanuck

Should WD Choose his own team Captain?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

God forbid some people want to enjoy the game quietly, especially if they don't even say anything to you.

There might be people who do, but I'd say they should have realized what they were doing when they bought a ticket to a professional sports event.

In the words of Edge, Jack White and Jimmy Page: It might get loud.

One shouldn't go to an event noted for excessive noise and expect 15,000 people to cater to their wishes. If you want to watch a game without loud noise, every TV set has a volume button.

1. What San Jose did is dumb and should not be emulated by anyone ever. It's basically a public shaming - the way a bad parent scolds an 8-year old child. Thornton and Marleau should be pissed.

2. Henrik is a great captain. There's too much "Henrik isn't passionate enough" BS around. First, yes he is passionate, as everyone in the Canucks dressing room states when asked. Second, having a captain who screams at the ref, celebrates every goal as if he just won the lottery and cries every time his team loses makes for good TV, but it isn't necessary to be a great captain.

There are great captains who are really emotional: Dustin Brown, Ryan Getzlaf, Sidney Crosby, Shane Doan....
There are great captains who usually keep an even keel: Jonathan Toews, Zdeno Chara, Mikko Koivu.. and yes, Henrik Sedin.

Henrik's style of leadership reminds me of one of the greatest, longest-serving captains of all time: Mats Sundin

There might be people who do, but I'd say they should have realized what they were doing when they bought a ticket to a professional sports event.

In the words of Edge, Jack White and Jimmy Page: It might get loud.

One shouldn't go to an event noted for excessive noise and expect 15,000 people to cater to their wishes. If you want to watch a game without loud noise, every TV set has a volume button.

By quietly, I meant they themselves aren't making any noise (responding to "I'd say the other 40% fans have been rude...or just plain quiet"). Obviously, they should know it will get loud, but they shouldn't have to participate in it if they just want to watch the game.

Been saying for the last few years that we need a more fiesty captain. Hank is a great player and a great leader in his own right but he seems to lack the ability to hold his team mates accountable when they need to be held accountable.

How many times over the last three years have we seen vancouver blown out especially against teams that we should beat and all hank does is say " I thought we played a good game it just got away from us there...blah blah blah. We need a captain that is firey, who isn't afraid to not only hold himself and his teammates accountable, but will also go to bat with/for them if he has to. Hank may have a heart of a canuck but we need a captain whose canuck through and through who plays with heart, who will 'go down with the ship'! Its time to give the C to juice.

Been saying for the last few years that we need a more fiesty captain. Hank is a great player and a great leader in his own right but he seems to lack the ability to hold his team mates accountable when they need to be held accountable.

How many times over the last three years have we seen vancouver blown out especially against teams that we should beat and all hank does is say " I thought we played a good game it just got away from us there...blah blah blah. We need a captain that is firey, who isn't afraid to not only hold himself and his teammates accountable, but will also go to bat with/for them if he has to. Hank may have a heart of a canuck but we need a captain whose canuck through and through who plays with heart, who will 'go down with the ship'! Its time to give the C to juice.

sick and tired to hear people talk a bout this shit over and over again year in and year out. There are different types of leader and there are different ways to lead.

how do you know Hank isn't holding himself or other people accountable in the locker room? Because he didn't throw his teamates under the bus in front of the reporters after a loss?

If you want a WWE type of show where players will just yell and scream while playing hockey, go watch another team. In the past years people like you said we need a feisty coach who can hold players accountable and not afraid to stick up to his players, and we all see how well it end up.. Now you guys change the name from our coach to our captain and say the same thing.

This is retarded.

Papayas, I totally agree. Hank is a great captain, and the whole "we need someone more passionate" line is crap. Every player in the Canucks room has a lot of respect for Henrik - you know that because they go out of their way to say so every time they're asked. There's no denying that Henrik is clearly the leader on this team.

I 100% get where you're coming from. I said something similar in an earlier post in this thread. Post game interviews who is the one who is actually accountable in taking responsibility for the loss. Bieksa. "We weren't good in our own end. We needed to take less penalties. They out played us tonight." Etc. He tells it how it is, to the media. THAT is the kind of person I want wearing the C. However, Henrik as said previously, is well respected, and in my opinion is a good captain. It should absolutely not be pulled off his chest. I personally prefer the fiery type as a captain.

The entire team's identity isn't gonna transform just by giving the C to a different player. The team's culture and leadership will stay the same, a symbolic cloth letter isn't gonna do much except insult the Sedins. I'm quite sure the fans care way more about who's captain than the players do.

The entire team's identity isn't gonna transform just by giving the C to a different player. The team's culture and leadership will stay the same, a symbolic cloth letter isn't gonna do much except insult the Sedins. I'm quite sure the fans care way more about who's captain than the players do.

Tell Kesler that......

Lets see.....if I remember correctly many CDCers were saying last year to give the C to Kesler.

Instead the players, not the coaches removed the A from Kesler.

Pretty sure the players are quite happy with Hank as their captain.

Even though I believe it might be a good idea for the new coach to have the option to pick his own captain, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be Henrik.

I really believe that Henrik will hold on to the C until he retires from the league.

On a side note, I was impressed with how the Rangers performed last year through the playoffs without anyone designated as Captain and with just a few guys wearing A's

Even though I believe it might be a good idea for the new coach to have the option to pick his own captain, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be Henrik.

I really believe that Henrik will hold on to the C until he retires from the league.

On a side note, I was impressed with how the Rangers performed last year through the playoffs without anyone designated as Captain and with just a few guys wearing A's

Different scenario though. When the Rags traded Callahan, they were left without a Captain and chose to go the "by committee" route.

That's a far cry from going the San Jose route and stripping a guy of his captaincy.

Archived