The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Players who have changed positions

The other day I watched a video of Jordan Subban displaying some sick hand eye coordination. I've seen other videos of him displaying great puck handling and skating abilities. He is of course a D-man and a small Dman at that, potentially growing to 5'10" and weighing in at 185-190. He would be serviceable as a Dman, but probably not to the point where he can truly become a top 4. But, his offensive ability and play anticipation are what make him interesting.

What is stopping this kid from jumping up forward?

Over the past few years there have been two defense-men that I know of who have stepped into a forward position and had success.

The main one that comes to mind is Dustin Byfuglian (I know I spelled that wrong so calm yourself...)

The other is Brent Burns

My question to CDC is this:

What players do you know of that have been moved from d to forward?

Or forward to d for that matter

Mathieu Dandenault, Yannick Weber, Ian White, Wade Belak, Mark Streit, Brian Boyle (in the AHL), Keith Ballard, Brooks Laich, Deryk Engelland, Matt Carkner and Andrew Alberts are some of the names I can think of who have played both as a forward and on defence but for some it was for a short period of time.

Mathieu Dandenault, Yannick Weber, Ian White, Wade Belak, Mark Streit, Brian Boyle (in the AHL), Keith Ballard, Brooks Laich, Deryk Engelland, Matt Carkner and Andrew Alberts are some of the names I can think of who have played both as a forward and on defence but for some it was for a short period of time.

Charlie Coyle is another defenceman who has taken a few turns at forward.

I think Jordan Subban is going to become a decent pro-defenceman, in spite of his size. Not saying that Subban is going to be any of the following, but given the opportunity, he could be as good as Brian Rafalski, Dan Boyle, Torey Krug, Tobias Enstrom.

Why mess with that, especially when the group of Canucks prospects up front has become relatively deep?

Wouldn't it be something if Subban became as good as Rafalski, and Tryamkin became as good as Chara? Imagine them together. It's summertime...we can daydream, can't we?

Sergei Fedorov is the one I remember the most. Thought it was more to teach him defensive responsibility and have his speed on the back check on the pp when things went wrong. Plus, having 1 of your 12 forwards able to come in and spell out an injured or tired defenseman is incredibly handy.

I always wished they'd have just moved Ballard up to forward while he was here, as he had great skating, a decent shot, and he could have been of some use instead of sitting his ass in the press box while looking fora speedy 3rd line forward with defensive ability and great body check....hey, wait a moment.

Too often, I think people get caught up in the position of a player, and don't look at filling the needs you have with the players you have. If I have too many defensemen and need a forward.... Centers are asked to play wing all the time, nobody thinks anything of it, why can't a defenseman play forward and vice versa. Imagine the versatility of your line-up.

Red Kelly is the most legendary defense to forward player, for sure. Won the most cups of anyone not to play with the Habs.

Yes .. an All-star D-man who converted to Center and was an All-star there as well, if I remember correctly .. very gifted player

Guest Dasein

Charlie Coyle is another defenceman who has taken a few turns at forward.

I think Jordan Subban is going to become a decent pro-defenceman, in spite of his size. Not saying that Subban is going to be any of the following, but given the opportunity, he could be as good as Brian Rafalski, Dan Boyle, Torey Krug, Tobias Enstrom.

Why mess with that, especially when the group of Canucks prospects up front has become relatively deep?

Wouldn't it be something if Subban became as good as Rafalski, and Tryamkin became as good as Chara? Imagine them together. It's summertime...we can daydream, can't we?

Charlie Coyle has always been a forward...

Guest Dasein

Brent Burns is the only guy that is a legitimate threat both as a forward and a defenseman in today's game IMO.

Byfuglien is more of a defenseman than a forward. He's limited as a forward to being net presence/board battles.

Archived