The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Calgary signs Devin Setoguchi

Nail

PROS:

27 years old...right hand shot; "heavy" player at 205; other than dropping off last year, has been able to provide 20 goals per season for the previous five seasons while taking up 15-16 minutes of ice time; reputed to be able play in all situations when he's on his game (according the geniuses at The Hockey News); $750K cap hit.

CONS:

Reputed to be wildly inconsistent (great for a game or two and goes into hibernation for 8-9 games). This would drive all of us on the CDC crazy and we'd be calling for his head on a daily basis.

Setoguchi, at this point in his career is a moneyball signing by the Flames. At $750K cap hit, he's a very good signing. Perhaps equivalent to the Santorelli signing of last season.

Anyone who thinks Calgary isn't a better team right now than last year or at least standing as much of a chance at a wildcard spot as the canucks is blind and doesn't watch hockey outside of Vancouver.

Hardest working team in hockey injecting a few vets solid goaltending and some seriously skilled youth will push the middle of the division.

Good signing at that price.

Anyone who thinks Calgary isn't a better team right now than last year or at least standing as much of a chance at a wildcard spot as the canucks is blind and doesn't watch hockey outside of Vancouver.

Hardest working team in hockey injecting a few vets solid goaltending and some seriously skilled youth will push the middle of the division.

Good signing at that price.

Exactly. I'd much rather see Calgary succeed through hard work and determination than Edmonton with one-dimensional highly skilled players.

Exactly. I'd much rather see Calgary succeed through hard work and determination than Edmonton with one-dimensional highly skilled players.

People are writing off Edmonton and Calgary already and with no good reason.

We stand just as much chance of bombing as succeeding this year as either Alberta team does.

We arguably went sideways with every move we made or a bare step forward where as the Alberta teams shored up key areas that have needed upgrades for a few seasons.

Goaltending, big bodied blue liners, skilled youth and vet presence in the bottom 9 and 3-4 and 5-6 D pairings. Arguably we all start the season with 0 wins and 0 losses but again people claiming Cal will suck and this is a worthless signing really don't watch hockey outside of BC

People are writing off Edmonton and Calgary already and with no good reason.

We stand just as much chance of bombing as succeeding this year as either Alberta team does.

We arguably went sideways with every move we made or a bare step forward where as the Alberta teams shored up key areas that have needed upgrades for a few seasons.

Goaltending, big bodied blue liners, skilled youth and vet presence in the bottom 9 and 3-4 and 5-6 D pairings. Arguably we all start the season with 0 wins and 0 losses but again people claiming Cal will suck and this is a worthless signing really don't watch hockey outside of BC

Even though I dislike the GM and the coach, I actually became a bit of a fan of the Flames last year simply due to how hard they seemed to work night in and night out.

I remember thinking how much I wished our team last year would work even half as hard as that Flames team. That's a big part of why our team last year really turned me off.

If the Flames of this upcoming season, with their additional talent and youth, work as hard as they did last season, I actually would not be surprised to see them beat us out for a playoff position.

Even though I dislike the GM and the coach, I actually became a bit of a fan of the Flames last year simply due to how hard they seemed to work night in and night out.

I remember thinking how much I wished our team last year would work even half as hard as that Flames team. That's a big part of why our team last year really turned me off.

If the Flames of this upcoming season, with their additional talent and youth, work as hard as they did last season, I actually would not be surprised to see them beat us out for a playoff position.

Yup. This exactly. So many 1 goal games lost. They very easily could have picked 7th or 8th as easily as 4th because of those 1 goal games, even higher when you consider most of them were lost in regulation.

They work hard, Burke addressed the key issues such as vets a goaltending.

Middle of the division team this year, Setoguchi will only help that as he'll allow young rookies and sophomore players to transition in easier.

I think this signing was necessary, we have alot ofmspots to fill in the forward area, no doubt some prospects will be ready to go, but if you look at our roster there are alot of spots to fill. I think this contract is just to fill a roster spot until another prospect makes the jump. I expect at least 2 of the following to make the roster, Gauedreu, Bennet, Poirer, Grankund. Even two of these guys joining the big club leaves a few open spots in the forward positions,

Alot or hate on here for CGY but also a few nice comments, honestly as a Flames fan I can say we are excited, the team has a fairly well rounded prospect pool, we got some bug gritty players, and they outworn just about every team every night, they may not win but boy do they play exciting hockey right now. This team will be golden in 2-4 seasons.

This signing is just to plug a hole, and if he happens to have a decent year then go ahead and extend him, if not it's a one year desk worth less then a mil,

I see this signing a cheaper way to continue the status quo.

It will take both Raymond & Setoguchi to make up for Cammalleri's lost points.

It does partially help fill one of Calgary's two biggest holes which are right shooting wingers and right shooting defense-men.

I feel that they will probably still be a bottom 5 team; but if they continue to play with the same effort as last year, I will be watching a lot of their games,

420 man. I'm gonna take that as a semi compliment to our Flames lol. Raymond I'm excited for, and I believe if you search threw my post history you will see about a year ago I had mentioned I wished CGY signed him. I'm excited for him, and was always a secret jelous troll that Van had him for so long hahaha, he was your guys answer to our Lombardi back in the day.

I like him as a hometown boy, Cochrane, 20 minutes from me, but I think he will replace the role Lombardi once played as the speedy 2/3 winger who can kill penalties, but I think he can slot in with the young guys as well and put up a solid 40-50pt season.

Setoguci, when I saw that alert come across my phone I was like oh..,ok. I don't see exactly where he fits, but I would go so far as to put him as a possible 1/RW to see if he builds chemistry with playmaking Hudler, if not i can see experiments with him and Monahan, see If he can keep up with Monahan. That would be second line. If not, he could even wing for Bennet on the third playing sheltered minutes. Ahh I'm playing GM/coach too much now. I want MayRay with Bennet, there styles would feed off each other.(also can we make MayRay a thing again for me?).

Calgary has done great, their rebuild is looking very successful but they still need to add a couple pieces to a prospect pool of Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, Klimchuk, Poirer, Baertschi. Wotherspoon, Sieloff, Arnold, Granlund.

They needed some roster spots filled up and did so with this signing. Could be a dark horse to make the playoffs.

My initial reaction to the Setoguchi signing was negative but at $750K and at 26 he might still turn it around. He has been trending down ever since SJ. I guess ex-Saskatoon Blades don't mix with ex-Medicine Hat Tigers.

When Bob Hartley was signed I again rolled my eyes but bottom line his players play for him. The unknown with Setoguchi and Raymond is how well they will do under Hartley. I suspect they do well.

The Canucks will play better this year but any Canuck fan who thinks the core is a CUP contender are dreaming. This is a transition roster as the younger players develop. Nothing wrong with that. It had to happen at some time.

CALGARY! I wouldn't slot Bennet into the line up this year. That is a very Edmonton thing to do. Great young prospect but physically immature. Putting the guys who aren't ready physically in the NHL, even if their game is ready, can be a recipe for disaster. Burke for all his flaws isn't really someone who rushes the kids which is a good thing. I know the prevailing theory around here seems to be that if a player isn't playing significant NHL minutes by 20 they are a bust but that is just stupid.

Archived