The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommendations for UK Trip

:D

What's crackin', y'all.

Going on a trip to the United Kingdom in October and I was hoping anyone from the area or that has been there could offer up some suggestions for fun things to do during the day (and the night ;))

My updated itinerary is as follows:

October 16th - 1545hrs Flight: YVR - London via Amsterdam (Air France)
October 17th - London
October 18th - London
October 19th - London

October 20th - Edinburgh
October 21st - Edinburgh

October 22nd - Dublin
October 23rd - Dublin

October 24th - Glasgow
October 25th - Glasgow
October 26th - Glasgow

October 27th - Dublin
October 28th - Dublin
October 29th - Dublin
October 30th - Dublin
October 31st - Dublin
November 1st - 0935hrs Flight: Dublin - Vancouver via Amsterdam (KLM)

The London and Dublin days are firm as I already have the hotel rooms. But I need ideas for some shenanigans.

Edit: Aug31st - Booked hotels in Edinburgh and Glasgow. So Scotland, Ireland and England shenanigans are in the works.

I believe the word you were looking for is "craic" FYI.

'Twas in the year of 'thirty-nine

When the sky was full of lead

When Hitler was heading for Poland

And Paddy, for Holyhead

Come all you pincher laddies

And you long-distance men

Don't ever work for McAlpine

For Wimpey, or John Laing

You'll stand behind a mixer

And your skin is turned to tan

And they'll say, Good on you, Paddy

With your boat-fare in your hand

The craic was good in Cricklewood

And they wouldn't leave the Crown

With glasses flying and Biddy's crying

'Cause Paddy was going to town

Oh mother dear, I'm over here

And I'm never coming back

What keeps me here is the reek o' beer

The ladies and the craic

It has been 17 years since I was last in the UK, but it was great. Spent very little time in London (2 days) and toured the rest of the countryside. If you can make your way to Stratford Upon Avon, I highly suggest it.

As for France, my wife and I were in Paris 6 years ago, and only left the city once. In the NNW, I would check out "Mont St. Michel" (look it up online). We took a day trip there and absolutely loved it. Like anything in Europe, lots of history and a tourist destination that is, for some reason, nobody takes advantage of.

Can't really help beyond that. However, avoid Stonehenge like the plague. It is just as boring as you would think a pile of rocks would be. No joke, a postcard does it justice. There are some "Wonders of the World" that are definitely worth seeing; however, Stonehenge is not one of them.

You'll want to hit up the Nice 'N' Sleazy in Glasgow.

http://www.nicensleazy.com/

Not exactly "shenanigans" but if you like serene nature etc northern Scotland is GORGEOUS IMO. Lot's of sheep, rolling hills, jagged rocks, lochs and inlets etc.

I woke up for I think 5 days to views like this and it was delightful IMO.

Isle-of-Skye-3.jpg

If your in to history there's all sorts of castles, tours and whiskey/beer/scotch distilleries littered throughout all three countries.

I recommend Glenmorangie FWIW https://glenmorangie.com/en/age-gate

Dublin is (was) a hoot when I was there. Had an absolutely fantastic time but was far too drunk far too often to remember many specifics...lol

How is travel through GB and Ireland?

Are trains the way to go or should I rent a car?

Bus and train are the way to go on the cheap. I was also able to get a ~20 pound flight from Glasgow to Belfast (in 2002). I think the taxiing leaving/landing took longer than the actual flight but it sure beat the ~3 hour ferry ride.

Cork is where my family is from. I will be quite jealous if you go there.

Avoid France, I hear there are a lot of French people there.

Why not take a few days to go to Italy and unleash your inner fat kid. The food is supposed to be amazing.

I last went to the UK in 1999, if you have a plane ticket to London, I'd recommend a plane ticket to transfer elsewhere, like, perhaps, München/Munich, Naples, Amsterdam, Wien/Vienna, or elsewhere in Europe. No way in hell am I going to the UK again. :lol:

I love London. Explore the whole town, IMO. Loads of history everywhere you look. If you're sorta geeky like me, it's really fun to explore the old castles and learn about all the brutal history that went on there. Lots of world class museums and galleries there too.

Agree with Monty on Stratford, it's a remarkably quaint little area. You don't strike me as the type of person who has ever read a book, but a man named WIlliam Shakespeare lived there, and so there's lots of touristy things to do related to him.

I had no issue with Stone Henge at all. Yeah, it's nothing special in that it's just a 20 minute stop and a photo op, but when I went there on a little bus thing, it made a lot of stops in really nice areas, and it was a great way to see the countryside. I definitely don't regret it.

Bath has some really beautiful architecture and things to see, but I found the people there to be ridiculously rude and trashy. Wouldn't recommend it.

I love London. Explore the whole town, IMO. Loads of history everywhere you look. If you're sorta geeky like me, it's really fun to explore the old castles and learn about all the brutal history that went on there. Lots of world class museums and galleries there too.

Agree with Monty on Stratford, it's a remarkably quaint little area. You don't strike me as the type of person who has ever read a book, but a man named WIlliam Shakespeare lived there, and so there's lots of touristy things to do related to him.

I had no issue with Stone Henge at all. Yeah, it's nothing special in that it's just a 20 minute stop and a photo op, but when I went there on a little bus thing, it made a lot of stops in really nice areas, and it was a great way to see the countryside. I definitely don't regret it.

Bath has some really beautiful architecture and things to see, but I found the people there to be ridiculously rude and trashy. Wouldn't recommend it.

I want to see old London. Someone recommended the Jack the Ripper tour but I don't have high expectations.

I can go anywhere and see new stuff, I want the history.

Also thinking about scooting up to Belfast during some of the Dublin days... and down to Cork

yes, go Belfast is great lots of history, interesting sites and murals. You could go for a day trip out to the giants causeway. (there are some other things near by also) TItanic museum is supposed to be really good. I've never been to Cork.

How is travel through GB and Ireland?

Are trains the way to go or should I rent a car?

depending on where you want to go, if you plan to go to big cities then trains, maybe even a bus....depending on how cheap you want to be. If you book tickets in advace and travel in off peak times it saves you a lot of money.

Also some of the sites ( of historical/touristy things) that are bit out of the way might not be open, have different hours or tours might not be operating.

In the UK outside of London, I really liked Manchester (wish I had spent more time there) there are some really good free musems there depending on what you are into. I liked the Museum of Sicence and Industry. There is also Manchester people's history museum (good) and Imperial war museum noth...the National Football Museum, (I've heard mixed reviews of it). Liverpool is ok you could spend a day there no problem too. Both places the people were friendly, lots of history in both cities.

I want to see old London. Someone recommended the Jack the Ripper tour but I don't have high expectations.

I can go anywhere and see new stuff, I want the history.

I am a sucker for touristy junk and tours and stuff, and even I skipped the Jack the Ripper tour, but I don't remember why. Definitely check out the Tower of London.

I saw a bunch of castles when I was there, so I don't remember which ones I liked the best, but I definitely remember seeing Warwick and Dover. Warwick was an impressive structure, but pretty kitschy.

Also, the London Zoo is a nice way to spend an afternoon. And a nice way to spend an evening is at Shakespeare's Globe, right in the heart of London. Can catch a play for pretty cheap.

Archived