The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sheldon Brookbank anyone?

I'd take him to be the #6. He'd be a safe, tough right-side D-man who shouldn't be too pricey.

Hammer - Juice

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Brookbank
Stanton - Weber (grit and PP bomb depth guys, but I'd try to trade Sbisa if Stanton beats him for the job)

Edit: maybe we can put Stanton and Brookbank out as the 3rd pairing against the Hawks just to stick it to 'em for letting them go!

Is it just a cap issue?

Both a cap and a depth issue. Not only are the Hawks up against the cap, they have a few defensemen that are supposed to ready for the next step. He became expendable for the same reason Stanton became expendable last year. It was a numbers game.

Still wish the Hawks had kept Stanton over Kostka. Canucks got a really good defenseman from us.

Probably just a numbers game with Brookbank. I'd imagine he's already had offers from a few teams but they haven't been in the range his agent is looking for.

Last time around, Brookbank inked a $2.5 million payday (two-year deal) from Chicago after setting career bests in games, points, goals, and TOI/G with Anaheim (during the 2011-12 regular season).

This time around, his minutes and points are back down where they were 4-5 years ago, and he's only been seeing ice for roughly half the games over the past two seasons (compared to playing 80 in 2011-12). I don't think his game has changed any--he's still just as good IMO--but he's had less opportunities due to Chicago's depth at D (compared to Anaheim's a few years ago)

He's still a very solid depth Dman who plays a rugged game and is safe defensively and I'm sure several teams have shown interest. But they're probably offering six figure deals (AAV) and Brookbank's agent likely wants to keep his client earning seven figures.

Some team will probably sign him soon. He just might have to take a one-year deal at something under $1,000,000.

I doubt it'll get to the point where he has to accept a PTO. But there are casualties every year during free agency and I'd definitely support the Canucks giving him a try-out if he's still unsigned when the NHL camps start.

EDIT: stupid autocorrect

Both a cap and a depth issue. Not only are the Hawks up against the cap, they have a few defensemen that are supposed to ready for the next step. He became expendable for the same reason Stanton became expendable last year. It was a numbers game.

Still wish the Hawks had kept Stanton over Kostka. Canucks got a really good defenseman from us.

I agree, Stanton would have come in real handy right about now.

We can still re-sign Brookbank. If Rozsival is dealt and we go with a roster of 22 there's enough cap space to sign a defenseman for up to $875,000.

Archived