The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary woman throws dog from second-story balcony, gets rare jail sentence

Mr. Ambien

I'm actually surprised so few animal abuse cases like this result in more severe punishment. I wish seriously bad things upon this lady.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/woman-who-abused-chihuahua-gets-60-day-jail-sentence-1.2749510?cmp=rss

Woman who abused Chihuahua gets 60-day jail sentence

52-year-old Calgary woman was seen throwing dog from a 2nd-floor balcony

A Calgary judge has taken the rare step of handing a jail sentence to a woman who was convicted of abusing a dog.

The 52-year-old Calgary woman pleaded guilty this week to causing unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to a Chihuahua named Chewy.

The charges were laid after witnesses reported seeing the woman throw the small dog from a second-floor balcony into a fence, and then again over the fence, in August 2012.

The woman was sentenced to 60 days in jail — to be served intermittently — plus six months of probation. She is also banned from owning or caring for animals for 10 years.

Jail time for convicted animal abusers is relatively rare, according to the Calgary Humane Society. (Calgary Humane Society )

“It is fairly rare to see incarceration used as a sentence in an animal cruelty cases. Often incarceration is not even on the table if the charge is laid under the Animal Protection Act,” said Calgary Humane Society cruelty investigations manager Brad Nichols.

“Criminal Code charges were warranted here due to the violent nature of the crime.”

Nichols said in his 10 years on the job, he has only seen about five offenders handed sentences with jail time.

Chewy was rehabilitated and now lives in a new home, the society said.

Good on the judge. And inb4 people start talking about how we should care less about this and more about the middle east and the starving in Africa....

I think it's good to care about domestic issues like this too, abuse of a domesticated animal, especially a tiny dog like a Chihuahua, says something about how fracked in the head a person is. I see no reason they don't turn around and try to kill a person next. I've witnessed animal abuse in Calgary in only a few years. Seems like they should be taking this a little more seriously.

lol at 60 days intermittently. Oh no there's goes my weekends for a few months. Should be at least 1 year served consecutively

While I agree with you... that's 30 weeks without a weekend.

She'll get what's coming to her though. I couldn't imagine her employer keeping her with their company. A moron like her is probably life time committed to a minimum wage job anyway.

The thing I never understand in sentencing for these incidents??: "She is also banned from owning or caring for animals for 10 years." Why not for life? I mean, someone who does this is obviously lacking in the basic compassion necessary TO care for a pet, that likely won't change over time. Why a second crack at it? Seems they failed miserably and can't be trusted.

Good. It should be jail time in every instance of cruelty or unnecessary harm to domesticated animals.

I'd say to inflict unnecessary pain and suffering on ANY animal is horrible.

Here's my deal...I do a bit of rabbit rescue (duh). We got word that one of the rescuers who was on site to provide water/food to some feral rabbits witnessed some punks way across the park stomp on a baby bun. They shouted at them and ran over (punks took off because they're cowardly imbeciles)...by the time the women got to her, the crows were having a go at her and she was bleeding from her eyes/ears.

My friend from the vet gave her critical care...took pics of her after a few days of recovery. (I won't post the ones when she first arrived, they're heartbreaking).

528527_402811513065322_1831013916_n_zpsb

She is now mine...came to me when she grew strong enough and she is a beautiful animal...personality as big as the sky. This was her a few weeks after I brought her home, in her playpen. Who on Earth could stomp this little sweetheart?? Her legs are still splay but she manages just fine.

524317_10150934603210549_1090798393_n_zp

Breaks my heart though, when she hears crows outside she cowers...she's coming around, but it's a slow process.

People who hurt animals should fall down a steep cliff. Sorry, just how I feel. I'd have no trouble pushing them off.

Anyhow, if you can't handle having an animal don't. It isn't a novelty thing where your moods decide how you'll care for it - it's a commitment.

The thing I never understand in sentencing for these incidents??: "She is also banned from owning or caring for animals for 10 years." Why not for life? I mean, someone who does this is obviously lacking in the basic compassion necessary TO care for a pet, that likely won't change over time. Why a second crack at it? Seems they failed miserably and can't be trusted.

I'd say to inflict unnecessary pain and suffering on ANY animal is horrible.

Here's my deal...I do a bit of rabbit rescue (duh). We got word that one of the rescuers who was on site to provide water/food to some feral rabbits witnessed some punks way across the park stomp on a baby bun. They shouted at them and ran over (punks took off because they're cowardly imbeciles)...by the time the women got to her, the crows were having a go at her and she was bleeding from her eyes/ears.

My friend from the vet gave her critical care...took pics of her after a few days of recovery. (I won't post the ones when she first arrived, they're heartbreaking).

528527_402811513065322_1831013916_n_zpsb

She is now mine...came to me when she grew strong enough and she is a beautiful animal...personality as big as the sky. This was her a few weeks after I brought her home, in her playpen. Who on Earth could stomp this little sweetheart?? Her legs are still splay but she manages just fine.

524317_10150934603210549_1090798393_n_zp

Breaks my heart though, when she hears crows outside she cowers...she's coming around, but it's a slow process.

People who hurt animals should fall down a steep cliff. Sorry, just how I feel. I'd have no trouble pushing them off.

I'll get the popcorn.. oh and you'll need this,

250px-Axe_IMG.png?t=20111119100438

Good on you, Deb. What is that.. 3 rabbits you have now??

Rabbits get dumped after people realize they're harder to care for than originally expected. Heard the dumping ground was in the Richmond Nature Park area.. Then, there's the UVic campus. Weren't they talking about culling them there b/c of the overpopulation..?

Re: OP - I think the sentence is good. Curious as to how the mental health of the woman is. Some people own pets to make up for other things/people lacking in their lives.

Archived