The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Schultz, Oilers agree to terms on one-year contract

jdatb

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=729313&navid=nhl:topheads

NHL.com

Restricted free agent defenseman Justin Schultz agreed to terms with the Edmonton Oilers on a one-year contract Friday, the team announced. Financial terms were not released, but Bob McKenzie of TSN reported the value at $3.675 million.

The 24-year-old had 11 goals and 33 points in 74 games last season while leading the team in average time on ice at 23:20 per game.

A free agent signed by the Oilers on June 30, 2012, Schultz has 19 goals and 60 points in 122 games in his two seasons with Edmonton.

Slightly higher than expected for me, considering a comparable player in Gardiner is making just 400k more but has a lot higher term. Oh well not that big of a deal the Oilers do have the cap space. If Schultz manages to put things together though the OIlers will likely be wishing that they would have offered a longer term deal.

I wonder how that wanting lots of ice time is working out for his career. Accomplishing so much more than he would have in Anaheim or anywhere else for that matter.

I guess like the Hoff, he just wanted to win a cup and went to the best possible place

Turns out that Anaheim didn't really need him. Fowler's pretty darn good and when he 'surprisingly' fell in the 2010 draft all the way to 12th (ranked 5th), Schultz's future there came to an end.

They still could've used him since he's a RHD which they lack.

Slightly higher than expected for me, considering a comparable player in Gardiner is making just 400k more but has a lot higher term. Oh well not that big of a deal the Oilers do have the cap space. If Schultz manages to put things together though the OIlers will likely be wishing that they would have offered a longer term deal.

agreed .. there is no denying this guys talent offensively .. defensively ? ehhhhhh , not so much . this guy made a huge mistake when he chose the coilers over vancouver .

They still could've used him since he's a RHD which they lack.

Vatanen? But if they were going to 'green light' a defender, it's Fowler, not Schultz. I think Schultz also got a bit mad at the Ducks when they essentially gave up on him and selected Fowler, not to mention Lindholm, who they picked up right before Schultz packed up and took off.

Vatanen? But if they were going to 'green light' a defender, it's Fowler, not Schultz. I think Schultz also got a bit mad at the Ducks when they essentially gave up on him and selected Fowler, not to mention Lindholm, who they picked up right before Schultz packed up and took off.

Pretty much.

Guest Dasein

What does that say about his confidence in his own abilities though.

Shouldn't matter who the team drafts.

Anyways, I think Schultz should have shut up and stayed in Anaheim, but whatever. Hope he's enjoying EDM.

EDIT: just to add further.

Case in point - Brendan Gaunce. We drafted multiple centers since him that have higher potential, but he just puts his head down and puts in work. Everyone talks about whether Horvat will make the team or not, but really I think Gaunce is a little closer.

A little different, since he can't choose his own fate like Schultz did, but I think Gaunce has character.

What does that say about his confidence in his own abilities though.

Shouldn't matter who the team drafts.

Anyways, I think Schultz should have shut up and stayed in Anaheim, but whatever. Hope he's enjoying EDM.

It is especially lovely there in January .. :)

^ I think Gaunce is readyish too. Hardly broke a sweat for the grouse grind, while a guy like Subban looked like he was going to die.

Schultz is what he is, but all that bullcrap about him being a free Niedermayer was nuts. Wee bit tired of the college guy hullabaloo. Glad we weren't really in the 'Hayes Sweepstakes.'

agreed .. there is no denying this guys talent offensively .. defensively ? ehhhhhh , not so much . this guy made a huge mistake when he chose the coilers over vancouver .

did he? if he makes it to UFA and has proven himself he could be in for a big pay day. he never would have gotten the same opportunity in Van, probably would be in the AHL right now.

Archived