The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen's Value.

ComfyMatter

I guess a portion of this fanbase would prefer to become Leafs-lite.

Look at what that loopy franchise does.

They run down their best two way players and usher them out of town, thinking they can easily replace those 'tweener' guys who are actually a significant part of the backbone of their franchise.

They undervalue Clarke Macarthur and let him walk for a paltry $3 million cap hit to Ottawa. What does Macarthur do? He shows the Leafs how daft they are, not by stepping up his game, but by simply continuing to do what he did for years for the Leafs. This is not lost on Ottawa, who lock him up for 5 years at 4.65 after seeing a season of what he does for their hockey club.

They buyout Grabovski, who was neck and neck with Macarthur as their best two way players - after running Grabovski's value into the ground by turning him into a shutdown center gettting 28.8% offensive zone starts, while still publicly busting his jewels as if he should be producing 2nd line offensive outcomes in that context, they waste their compliance buyout on Grabovski of all people. They show the money to Clarkson instead lol.

The Canucks have a similar bent in our fanbase, who run down the 'tweener' guys like Hansen and Higgins, who are capable of 2nd line production in 3rd line minutes at 3rd line cap hits. Two way, all situations veterans who are precisely the types of players that put a team over the top, and can step up in the lineup in a pinch.

Thinking that a couple 20 year olds are going to step in a replace the kind of balanced, all around contributions that these types of players bring is naive.

I still think Hansen is a great player but the reason people are "running" down the "tweener" guys is because they've been playing out of position for 2 years now. If they actually are providing the spine of the team fine, Hansen and Higgins on the second line is just a waste of time for everyone.

I still think Hansen is a great player but the reason people are "running" down the "tweener" guys is because they've been playing out of position for 2 years now. If they actually are providing the spine of the team fine, Hansen and Higgins on the second line is just a waste of time for everyone.

Yes. but those tweeners however, have nothing to do with injuries to Burrows, Kesler, Daniel, etc.

Complaining that Higgins or Hansen aren't second liners is pretty much the crux of the criticism they take on these boards, and yet they're a pair of third line, 2.5 million cap hits.

When the team is healthy, those two putting up 30 - 40 points in their two way roles is precisely one of the determining factors that made this team a contender.

If the top 6 can remain remotely healthy, with the addition of Vrbata and a player to provide Kesler's 2nd line offensive production (Bonino), these two are in all likelihood playing the roles they are paid for, and the team is much better with them than without.

A third line of Higgins Richardson Hansen will be a bloody nuissance to play against. This team needs that in the absence of Kesler. The fourth line (when the team is healthy) should also be deeper than it has been.

The Canucks have a similar bent in our fanbase, who run down the 'tweener' guys like Hansen and Higgins, who are capable of 2nd line production in 3rd line minutes at 3rd line cap hits. Two way, all situations veterans who are precisely the types of players that put a team over the top, and can step up in the lineup in a pinch.

Thinking that a couple 20 year olds are going to step in a replace the kind of balanced, all around contributions that these types of players bring is naive.

And that same 'bent' in the fanbase is even louder and more vocal than usual these days. There's a bit of prospect fever going on since the Canucks were out of the playoff picture early and had their highest pick in years, I think the fanbase's attention shifted to prospects a little too hungrily. But as you made the point (here or elsewhere, I forget) it's that middle demographic that this team is still light on, after an era of disappointing drafts. There's definitely nobody more qualified than either Higgins or Hansen to step in on the third line.

But I do also agree that at least some of the animosity against those two comes from a few years of seeing them constantly playing over their heads. They should only be on the second line in desperate times (well, personally I think Higgins can be a regular second liner, but it's mostly dependant on chemistry/role).

Yes. but those tweeners however, have nothing to do with injuries to Burrows, Kesler, Daniel, etc.

Complaining that Higgins or Hansen aren't second liners is pretty much the crux of the criticism they take on these boards, and yet they're a pair of third line, 2.5 million cap hits.

When the team is healthy, those two putting up 30 - 40 points in their two way roles is precisely one of the determining factors that made this team a contender.

If the top 6 can remain remotely healthy, with the addition of Vrbata and a player to provide Kesler's 2nd line offensive production (Bonino), these two are in all likelihood playing the roles they are paid for, and the team is much better with them than without.

A third line of Higgins Richardson Hansen will be a bloody nuissance to play against. This team needs that in the absence of Kesler. The fourth line (when the team is healthy) should also be deeper than it has been.

Exactly. I myself was beyond frustrated at the end of the MG regime but I am now willing and actually excited to see what they can do in a logical role provided players like Jensen, Bonino, Kassian, and Vrbata hold those top line spots. I would still like to see Burrows in a third line role as well but ... I would imagine a second line wing position is pretty his to lose since he can play on both sides.

That third line center position will be key as well. It would be refreshing and perhaps very rewarding to see a younger player with some juice on that line to get Hansen's game going again.

Exactly. I myself was beyond frustrated at the end of the MG regime but I am now willing and actually excited to see what they can do in a logical role provided players like Jensen, Bonino, Kassian, and Vrbata hold those top line spots. I would still like to see Burrows in a third line role as well but ... I would imagine a second line wing position is pretty his to lose since he can play on both sides.

That third line center position will be key as well. It would be refreshing and perhaps very rewarding to see a younger player with some juice on that line to get Hansen's game going again.

If Hansen's on the third line we are going to have get juiced just to watch them.

I like Hansen, he has great energy, he is good on the PK.

He has hands of stone and zero upside. He should be on the fourth line or traded.

Sedins/Vrbata

Burrows/Bonino/Kassian or Vey

Higgins/ Horvat/ Vey or Kassian

Mathias / Richardson/ Dorset

Sestito or Hansen

Unless we run with 14 forwards or we have injuries I think it is Hansen who goes.

I like Hansen, he has great energy, he is good on the PK.

He has hands of stone and zero upside. He should be on the fourth line or traded.

Sedins/Vrbata

Burrows/Bonino/Kassian or Vey

Higgins/ Horvat/ Vey or Kassian

Mathias / Richardson/ Dorset

Sestito or Hansen

Unless we run with 14 forwards or we have injuries I think it is Hansen who goes.

For a guy with hands of stone, it's quite miraculous some of the scoring he manages to do.

2012/13 he had 1.96 points per 60 minutes, slightly better than players like Zuccarello, Dustin Brown, Callahan, Nugent-Hopkins, Grabner... and 147th in the NHL. There are 90 top line forwards in the NHL, so if you do the math....

2011/12 he had 1.92 pp60, just ahead of guys like Mike Richards, Ryan Kesler, Kyle Turris, Andrew Ladd and Thomas Plekanec - 171st in the NHL. He had 39 points that year while getting 40% offensive zone starts.

Not bad for a 'stone-handed' depth forward. Hansen's lack of upside would be an upgrade to the majority of NHL forwards.

I agree with others saying he is best suited for the 3rd line. I think he has more value then Sestito who is irrelevent now the dorsett is here, and richardson who i think is either pushed out by a rookie or mathias. I think bo makes it out of camp and sticks if he does well in a 9 game tryout. Gaunce shink jenson will all see playing time imo but will start in utica to get there feet wet. I see our lineup looking something like this to star the season

Sedin,Sedin,Verbata

Burrows<Bones,Kass

Higgi,horvat,vey

Hanson,Mathias,Dorsett

Even tho i see hanson ideally on the 3rd i think higgi brings more offense. I the young guys push from utica both could ber moved later in the season. no need to do anything righ away. I think that's 4 pretty strong lines but would love to see shink steal a top 6 spot moving burr down to 3rd and forcing benning to make a move. Now if Gaunce lights it up then that really messes things up for Hanson and Higgins if jb had to find spots for shink and gaunce

Good to read so many defending Hansen in this thread. Dumping him (or Higgins) may give room for offensive prospects, but who will do the PK. Think it was quite evident during the Luni (Torts) reign, that using your star players as PK's is not so sound in the long run.

Don't get the panic amongst some CDC'ers about leaving the young players learning their trade in the AHL? Bringing them straight into the NHL just to watch them crash and burn doesn't make sense... Sure thing is, if they out perform roster players they'll get to play, but never a bad thing to let them hone their talents in the AHL first.

Good god , anyone who wants to get rid of Higgins is a fool. Hansen is a great third liner, but if you are desperately putting him on the second or even the first line your team has issues.

Good god , anyone who wants to get rid of Higgins is a fool. Hansen is a great third liner, but if you are desperately putting him on the second or even the first line your team has issues.

Good god...

Don't quite get what your post suggests? Do I want rid of Higgins or want to put either on the top lines?

I don't want rid of neither, nor do they belong on the top two lines.

On the contrary. Higgins and Hansen should be on the third line, which I thought was quite clearly stated, as I don't want Sedins or Vrabata wasting their talents doing PK.

I am delighted that people are now speaking up for the role players in this team... As I have been doing for the last two years...

So in short... Yes anyone wants rid of Higgins and Hansen are fools.

And yes my team had issues, injury issues and management issues...

Hansen's alright as a 3rd liner and on the PK, but let's be real here, his offense is pretty limited. Its never been his forte. I'd rather get a guy for the 3rd line with a little more size and toughness, who can play a hard nosed, gritty game, and PK well but also provide a little more offense. Not just the odd point here and there. The 3rd line is not only for players who check and PK and play a defensive game. You need offense too. You need contributions up and down the line-up to be successful, especially in the play-offs.

Guys like Archibald or Jensen come to mind. If they can PK and play a defensively responsible game while providing a little more offense, I'm all for someone like them taking Hansen's spot. Sure Hansen does the defensive side of the game well, but why argue that just that's enough? You always have to look for ways to upgrade, you don't settle for just good enough for that role or line.

I've been trying to avoid this thread cause I knew there would be ridiculous posts with people wanting to trade Hansen, Higgins or Burrows :picard:

Just throwing my support behind those defending these these guys... respectable. These players are the type of guys teams need to win the Cup, for every "all star" or "franchise" player a Stanley Cup contender needs, those very teams also need the Hansens, Higgins and Burrows and without them, they'll never reach their full potential... If the Oilers had these 3, they suddenly become contenders.

When playing the 3rd line, it would be hard to find any replacements that are better, at no cost and friendly cap. Burrows might not have a friendly cap anymore, but he deserves to get paid for what he's done for this team and he could easily play the 2nd line, 3rd line, PK... more importantly, every single fan on CDC should know how difficult it is to find a player who could fill in with the Sedins when necessary. This fact alone makes Burrows untouchable, in my eyes, because injuries are expected with the Canucks and if anything happens with Vrbata (no chemistry, injuries, etc) we still have a proven replacement.

Now that this team has added a complimentary piece to play with the Sedins....the trickle-down effect will show the true value that these 3 guys bring to this team, considering that they will play the positions that they are best suited for.

With Kes gone, these guys will keep our PK at respectable numbers.... I want to see the prospects make the team as much as any other fan here, but none of them are currently able to replace these 3.

all this smack about giving up anaheims 3rd round pick for dorsett...? why?

how many 3rd round picks make the NHL? the simple answer is VERY FEW. In return we get a sure roster player whom has a history with our new coach.

Scouting Report
Assets: Is an industrious winger who never backs down from challenges. Loves to initiate contact and agitate the opposition. Will drop the gloves on occasion. Can play any forward position if he has to.

So we get a versatile and effective aggitator, wholl do wonders in bringing up team morale and give some teammates more of a chip on their shoulder in exchange for a very low percentage mistery pick (NYR picked Keegan Iverson with that 85th overall selection).... Did none of you watch last post season and see what an important role he played with NYR on their run to the finals?

Finally a guy wholl stand up to the douche bags of the division on every occasion. You cant tell me that his impact wont generate confidence in his teammates and increace team atmosphere. If youve ever played the game, you know the importance of these players, and its something we've been lacking for a long while. Sestito is a good heavy weight... Who fights heavy weights. Dorsett is an aggitator who not only scraps litterally anyone and everyone, but he averaged 2 hits per game last regular season while averaging 11 mins per game, which betters every player on our roster. He gets under the skin of the oppositions top players and wont back down from a scrap.... Are you not looking forward to him tossing em with Kesler, Perry, Brown, Couture... THose are the 5 minute trade offs that we want.

As for Hansen, he's deadline bait imo. If he can get back to being a speedy, feisty, 35 point player, he should nab a 2nd rounder for a team looking to add depth.

all this smack about giving up anaheims 3rd round pick for dorsett...? why?

how many 3rd round picks make the NHL?

18.2% according to this site:

http://flamesnation.ca/2014/5/23/drafting-for-success-part-2-success-by-round

We gave up a draft pick that would have very likely turned into nothing for a player that will at the least help us with depth over the season.

Jannik Hansen was an excellent player before last season. He put up second line numbers while also being effective defensively and on the pk.

I felt he had his breakout season after the lockout finished and a lot of CDC expected him to hit the 50 or 60 point marker for the 2013/2014 season.

Hansen finished tied 13th in even strength points for RW in the lockout year.

Yup. I remember this, but seems many have selective memory...

Good to read so many defending Hansen in this thread. Dumping him (or Higgins) may give room for offensive prospects, but who will do the PK. Think it was quite evident during the Luni (Torts) reign, that using your star players as PK's is not so sound in the long run.

Don't get the panic amongst some CDC'ers about leaving the young players learning their trade in the AHL? Bringing them straight into the NHL just to watch them crash and burn doesn't make sense... Sure thing is, if they out perform roster players they'll get to play, but never a bad thing to let them hone their talents in the AHL first.

Agreed. If anything we need him more now that Kesler is gone. Until the likes of Kassian, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Vey or even Matthias can effectively replace (or come somewhat close to replacing) the strong defensive/2way play of Hansen (Higgins and Burrows), we should not be in a rush to dump them. Need to ease them in.

Of course it will eventually be time to move on from some vets. Burr, Higgy and Hansen, I don't think will retire as Canucks. However, I don't see the rush that everyone here is on about.

Archived