The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Desjardins has already met with all his players

DeNiro

People are reading too much into things. Lets see how this team plays once they hit the rink. Lets see if our PP improves at all...etc. Every coach has a different strategy and mentality. Torts won a cup so clearly he did something right. I hope WDs coaching style works for our group, but we won't know until we are well into the season.

Why are you poo pooing on our parade?

Willie seems like a nice guy and he talked to all his players. Are you insinuating that won't translate into him being a great coach?

Somehow Keenan managed to survive more than one season here.

It's funny when you look at the coaching history of the Canucks, Tortorella had a similar effect to Keenan. Both came in guns blazing, alienated the players, forced one of our best players out (Linden, Kesler), and helped us finish almost bottom of the league, which resulted in a high 1st round pick.

The next coach who was brought in was Crawford, who promised a much more up-tempo brand of hockey. He lasted here for 7 years.

I think Kesler has wanted out for at least two seasons.

Some coaches come in and say and do all the right things, but it doesn't always translate to success. However Willie seems to be putting action behind words, so he has a ton of support in the fan base right now.

I do get tired of hearing about fickle fan bases though. The criticism is tired, and nearly every team hears about it. Fans of pro teams expect to be entertained by a good product. It is possible to play good, exciting hockey and still lose games. I think the fan base can largely deal with that as long as the team looks like they're headed in the right direction.

Honestly, the worst fan bases in the world are the "loyal no matter what," crowds. There is nothing worse than the guy who won't acknowledge their time in the present is over and keeps trying to pick fights about games and championships won years and years ago. The 90s team isn't walking through that door to jump on the ice and take us on. Live in now and support what is good and complain about what it is bad. Your money and opinions back this team and it's okay for them to be heard, just keep ot respectful.

Not to mention that drawing parallels between a heart and soul guy and a guy with numerous off ice indiscretions leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

No one was comparing Linden and Kesler.

Both were one of our best players though. There's no denying that.

He has met with every single player by phone or in person including a trip to Sweden to visit with the Sedins. Love the commitment from this guy already.

His focus on this team and ability to connect with the players will be the biggest factor this season IMO. The players have to start believing in themselves again and move on from last season.

Hopefully Willie is the guy that can bring the passion out of this team again.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=729069

It's a big change from a coach that doesn't believe in practice and sooner stay home to walk his dogs. Players notice those things too. WD is going to be a refreshing act to watch. I'm very encouraged.

The rest, who cares... I don't care if he rocks them to sleep at night, as long as we win. The rest is fluff. If he never met any of the players and won a cup...

It's only fluff to the fans like you. It's not like he can just pull a Cup out of thin air. Meeting with the players shows he cares about them and is committed to winning. This will help us win games.

The rest, who cares... I don't care if he rocks them to sleep at night, as long as we win. The rest is fluff. If he never met any of the players and won a cup...

As long as he doesn't treat the guys like Tom Renney did back in his brief tenure behind the bench (treating them like they're junior players), he can take whatever approach he wants.

As far as I'm concerned, he just inherited a crappy team. Did what he could by trying to implement a system, but the team just didn't want to buy in.

How did they do so well in the first half of the season then? They aren't a crappy team, the fatigue and blocking shots couldn't of lasted the whole season and finally caught up with them. Could put some blame of the lack of coaching scheme andthe calgary flames mess on Torts

It's only fluff to the fans like you. It's not like he can just pull a Cup out of thin air. Meeting with the players shows he cares about them and is committed to winning. This will help us win games.

Put me in that catergory. Couldnt care less who Willie is having coffee with in the off season. Results are what counts. I'll wait to see how the canucks play before I start giving Willie too much credit.

How did they do so well in the first half of the season then? They aren't a crappy team, the fatigue and blocking shots couldn't of lasted the whole season and finally caught up with them. Could put some blame of the lack of coaching scheme andthe calgary flames mess on Torts

Can people stop using the blocking shots excuse? Every team blocks shots.

On Christmas the Canucks were 23/11/7. which looks pretty good. However, look who they won against:

-Edmonton

-Calgary

-New Jersey

-Philadelphia

-Buffalo

-NY Islanders

-New Jersey

-St. Louis

-Washington

-Toronto

-San Jose

-Columbus

-Ottawa

-Carolina

-Nashville

-Phoenix

-Colorado

-Carolina

-Edmonton

-Boston

-Chicago

-Winnipeg

-Calgary

Hmm, only 7 wins against playoff teams (3 of them in the east)

Who'd they lose against?

-San Jose

-San Jose

-Montreal

-Pittsburgh

-Columbus

-Detroit

-Phoenix

-Los Angeles

-Anaheim

-San Jose

-Dallas

-Florida

-Chicago

-Los Angeles

-NY Rangers

-Minnesota

-Dallas

-Philadelphia

Ouch, 16 losses against playoff teams (10 of them from the west)

Also, the fatigue was mainly due to lack of depth. Is that the coaches' fault?

On Christmas the Canucks were 23/11/7. which looks pretty good. However, look who they won against:

-Edmonton

-Calgary

-New Jersey

-Philadelphia

-Buffalo

-NY Islanders

-New Jersey

-St. Louis

-Washington

-Toronto

-San Jose

-Columbus

-Ottawa

-Carolina

-Nashville

-Phoenix

-Colorado

-Carolina

-Edmonton

-Boston

-Chicago

-Winnipeg

-Calgary

Who'd they lose against?

-San Jose

-San Jose

-Montreal

-Pittsburgh

-Columbus

-Detroit

-Phoenix

-Los Angeles

-Anaheim

-San Jose

-Dallas

-Florida

-Chicago

-Los Angeles

-NY Rangers

-Minnesota

-Dallas

-Philadelphia

8th overall in the NHL at the end of december. Burrows, Bieksa, Tanev, Schroeder all missed time due to blocking shots and screened Luo because they didnt block properly sometimes.

The fatique had nothing to do with Kesler leading the league in ice time for most of the season and the 4th line playing 5 mins or less. Look at what Weise has done as a 4th liner for Montreal, why couldn't Torts get that out of him?

8th overall in the NHL at the end of december. Burrows, Bieksa, Tanev, Schroeder all missed time due to blocking shots and screened Luo because they didnt block properly sometimes.

The fatique had nothing to do with Kesler leading the league in ice time for most of the season and the 4th line playing 5 mins or less. Look at what Weise has done as a 4th liner for Montreal, why couldn't Torts get that out of him?

At the end of December the Canucks had a 30.4% record against playoff teams. Compare that to what Boston (6th), LA (7th), Colorado (9th), and Tampa (10th) had at that point.

At the end of December:

-Boston were 65% against playoff teams

-LA were 55.6% against playoff teams

-Colorado were 55% against playoff teams

-Tampa were 50% against playoff team

Most players can block shots frequently without getting injured.

Weise had good linemates in Montreal, not Sestito. Again. lack of depth.

-Edmonton

-Calgary

-New Jersey

-Philadelphia

-Buffalo

-NY Islanders

-New Jersey

-St. Louis

-Washington

-Toronto

-San Jose

-Columbus

-Ottawa

-Carolina

-Nashville

-Phoenix

-Colorado

-Carolina

-Edmonton

-Boston

-Chicago

-Winnipeg

-Calgary

Who'd they lose against?

-San Jose

-San Jose

-Montreal

-Pittsburgh

-Columbus

-Detroit

-Phoenix

-Los Angeles

-Anaheim

-San Jose

-Dallas

-Florida

-Chicago

-Los Angeles

-NY Rangers

-Minnesota

-Dallas

-Philadelphia

Love your sig; pity nobody said that to Naslund when Moore clocked him...

I, too, was convinced that Torts would be "the answer". Just not sure what the question was. And, in hindsight, it all reminds me of Fatal Attraction Glenn Close crazy. Every bit of it - the storming of the hallway, the Heritage Game Lu betrayal, the calling out players on the bench.

We'll see. That's my new mindset. Learned not to put my eggs in baskets.

until we see the team respond to his coaching lets not praise, same thing with Benning. Lets see how this team works and responds.

im excited about his commitment tho, same with Benning, They both seem very passionate about pulling us out of the mud.

At the end of December the Canucks had a 30.4% record against playoff teams. Compare that to what Boston (6th), LA (7th), Colorado (9th), and Tampa (10th) had at that point.

At the end of December:

-Boston were 65% against playoff teams

-LA were 55.6% against playoff teams

-Colorado were 55% against playoff teams

-Tampa were 50% against playoff team

Most players can block shots frequently without getting injured.

Weise had good linemates in Montreal, not Sestito. Again. lack of depth.

Would have to agree with Will...the signs were all pointing to a team going nowhere fast even in the first three months of the year. Canucks were shooting blanks vs. playoff bound teams. At least the Canucks were beating the teams they were supposed to beat...but when the opposing team was a top 50% team, the Canucks folded up like a cheap suit from Wal Mart.

Not to mention that drawing parallels between a heart and soul guy and a guy with numerous off ice indiscretions leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

new team = fresh meat?

I know that's bad of me to say since I wore a Kesler jersey for the last number of years.

Great player but the rumors of him chasing skirts are there to be found and who knows but perhaps Schneids wanted out as well (re: Kesler). Kesler's gone and some fresh faces are coming in, that probably will help the locker room greatly.

I'm good with our new management team (really like Benning so far), good hires all around and win or lose this will always be my team.

As far as I'm concerned, he just inherited a crappy team. Did what he could by trying to implement a system, but the team just didn't want to buy in.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/12/02/john-tortorella-seems-upset-a-gif-collection/

Anyone still wondering how Torts lost the room? Exhibit A:

“There was a team meeting in the morning. David Booth showed up five minutes before the meeting was supposed to start. I guess Tortorella didn’t see him or whatever.

The meeting starts, and Tortorella lights into David Booth for being late for the meeting and Booth says, ‘Uh wait a minute, I was here five minutes early,’ and I guess they got into a bit of a shouting match. The players were like ‘What the hell is going on here?’ because they knew Booth was there early.”

So instead of apologizing when he found out Booth was early, Torts stuck to his guns and fought him over it.

Sounds like a guy players will go to battle for.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/05/tortorella-uncovered-he-was-worse-than-we-thought/

Archived