The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Ville Leino with Bruins

Boston Bruins have invited veteran forward Ville Leino to training camp:

The Boston Bruins have invited veteran forward Ville Leino to training camp, general manager Peter Chiarelli announced on Friday.

One of the most disappointing free-agent acquisitions in recent memory, Leino's contract was the target of a compliance buyout by the Buffalo Sabres in June.

The 30-year-old Finnish winger managed zero goals and just 15 assists in 50 games with the moribund Sabres in 2013-14. In total, he managed just 10 goals during his three-year Sabres tenure, while taking home over $23 million in actual salary (including the cost of his buyout).

A playmaking winger who almost never shoots the puck, it's tough to see where Leino might slot in with the Bruins. Perhaps he's insurance to cover the club in the off chance that they can't figure out how to get unsigned RFA Reilly Smith under contract before the season starts.

Even then, it's pretty clear that younger players like Ryan Spooner, Matt Fraser, and Alexander Khokhlachev are better bets to be useful in a top-nine role.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/570590

The guy was golden a few years back and most wanted him on their team.

Now he's the poster boy for a disappearing act after a large contract

its called redemption!. a lot of time its because of the players around you that make you good... so going to a team like buffalo well lets face it almost everyone is brutal there....

To be fair the Sabres made everyone look bad last year. Leino is still good for 10-15 goals and 30ish points as a 3rd or 4th liner, especially on a deep team like the Bruins. I think he'll snag one of the bottom 3 winger spots easily.

Maybe Leino was a big reason why the Sabres looked so bad. I admit not seeing him much but what I saw was pretty bad. Very little effort. Maybe the big boys in Boston can put a jump back in his game.

To be fair the Sabres made everyone look bad last year. Leino is still good for 10-15 goals and 30ish points as a 3rd or 4th liner, especially on a deep team like the Bruins. I think he'll snag one of the bottom 3 winger spots easily.

Even some rookies scored more than him. Bad team or not, you need to at least score a goal or two in a season.

A one way at league minimum will allow them to waive him and still not have the hit on the cap. I think he will accept pretty much any one way contract thrown at him as he really is not NHL caliber at all.

If all fails, he could join Tim Thomas on the streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2bkarr7fxE&list=PLD5D74943BC522856&index=9

Archived