The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Atlanta Hawks Owner to Sell Team due to Racist Email

vavoom

For Atlanta Hawks controlling owner Bruce Levenson, "a light bulb went off."

In a 2012 email addressing the troubles the franchise faced in attracting more affluent white season-ticket holders, Levenson said he had taken a look around Philips Arena and noticed a few things.

First, the audience was 70% black, he wrote. But that wasn't all. The stadium's bars were 90% black. There were few fathers and sons at the games. The cheerleaders were black. The music played in the arena was hip-hop, and the after-game concerts were either rap or gospel acts.

"Then i start looking around at other arenas. It is completely different. Even (Washington) DC with its affluent black community never has more than 15 pct black audience," he wrote.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/07/us/atlanta-hawks-owner-bruce-levenson-racist-email/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

After reading the email, it doesn't seem too racist, as he is just making obseravations of the franchise's fan base. The undertone is implying that the black fans are not as affluent, but is that really that far off from the truth in Atlanta?

I'm thinking, he sees that Sterling was able to sell the team for $2B, and wants to get in on that type of action without having to go through NBA red tape to approve him selling the team.

Undertone aside, he mentions how he feels "Southern whites" feel uncomfortable being the minority in a predominantly black audience.

I read a different article this morning and literally laughed at Levensen. Maybe vavoom is right, break a rule and give yourself the green light to sell your stake. Seems a little fishy because he self-reported his email.

First the Clippers, then the Hawks. Who's next?

Since when is this racist? Just seems like he's making an observation. In fact all businesses gather information on their customers (demographic)

People have been conditioned to react a certain way when it comes from the mouth of a white person.

Evidently that's supposed to illustrate teaching people to treat others equally.

It`s only racist if you`re white.

It`s only bigoted if you`re straight.

It`s only sexist if you`re male.

It`s only a double standard if you`re the opposite of ANY of the above but doesn`t count because you`re a minority.

Oh this crazy world we live in

It`s only racist if you`re white.

It`s only bigoted if you`re straight.

It`s only sexist if you`re male.

It`s only a double standard if you`re the opposite of ANY of the above but doesn`t count because you`re a minority.

Oh this crazy world we live in

As a straight white male I can tell you the reason we dont bitch about this situation is that we dont care. We have better things to do.

Forbes magazine had listed the value of every Basketball team in the NBA early this year. They pegged the Clippers value at $575 million US. source: http://www.forbes.com/teams/los-angeles-clippers/

So Bruce Levenson sees that team go for $2 BILLION and says "I want to get in on this craziness" I cant blame him. Who wouldnt want to sell to billionaires in a buying frenzy?

By the way, in that same issue Forbes valued the Hawks at $425 million. IF we use the Clippers multiplier the team should be worth just under $1.5 Billion on the open market. Unfortunately for Levenson I see the Clippers price tag as a one time thing.

I hope a Seattle group buys the team and builds a new NBA/NHL stadium by the existing Football and Baseball stadiums near downtown Seattle.

• 1 month later...

Archived