The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

More Canadians say they're living paycheque to paycheque

Grapefruits

Yet everyone seems to have the cash for all their new tech purchases.

This. People don't know how to spend their money effectively. Person X can have the latest phone, desginer shades and fancy clothes but still struggle to pay his bill for said phone and put food on the table.

SMH.

First time in my life I'm actually in the black if I wasn't going to school I would have been able to put more money into my savings.plus I'm still able to afford all of the stuff I want.Luckly when I'm done school at the end of October I will be able to triple or quadruple my savings by Christmas.

First time in my life I'm actually in the black if I wasn't going to school I would have been able to put more money into my savings.plus I'm still able to afford all of the stuff I want.Luckly when I'm done school at the end of October I will be able to triple or quadruple my savings by Christmas.

Good job...what did you studied?

It's pretty bad.

My highschool teacher once told me that he's in the top 15% of annual income in Canada.

Just imagine how much higher of a percentile he will be after this strike.

To think nearly 9/10 people don't even make as much as a Teacher. :picard:

Wait, what's wrong with that?

I had a lot of great teachers who were very helpful in high school. It's a very important job. I never want to do it because I'm not interested in teaching kids and I plan to make more than a teacher's salary, but it should still be a valued position.

More taxes!!! lol

In all seriousness, it's just the "perfect storm" in trapping many people.

Housing prices increased dramatically within the last decade, with many now stuck renting or forced to take on huge mortgages. Decline in purchasing power, regardless of what politicians says about inflation, I grew up with gas being about 45-70 cents per litre, 2 chocolate bars for a buck and a Big Mac being $1.49 on certain days. Automobiles costing more, certain gadgets like cellphones being pretty much mandatory. Tuition skyrocketing as well.

Couple all that with major drop in interest rates for safe investments like GIC, bonds and regular savings account.... It's harder and harder for people to save.

Sucks. Shows the trend of things and how unlucky times are getting.

Luck has nothing to do with it. Its not "bad luck" that some people chose to study philosophy in Uni. Its not "bad luck" that young people keep working for minimum wage when trades jobs go unfilled. Reasonable decisions lead to decent paying jobs.

Couple all that with major drop in interest rates for safe investments like GIC, bonds and regular savings account.... It's harder and harder for people to save.

The S&P 500 has paid over 95% profit in the past 5 years and even if you were in for the crash in 07-08 as long as you rode it out things went smoothly.

lol, I'm using that phrase in the future.

Wait...your from the future?

Wait, what's wrong with that?

I had a lot of great teachers who were very helpful in high school. It's a very important job. I never want to do it because I'm not interested in teaching kids and I plan to make more than a teacher's salary, but it should still be a valued position.

Honestly, in public school you can not pay attention to anything the teacher says and get an A as long as you have the textbook and any notes that are needed. Anything else you need help with you can find on the Internet.

Yet everyone seems to have the cash for all their new tech purchases.

I'm 53 and I've been living paycheque to paycheque my entire life. I'm also one of those extremely rare people who does not own a cell phone.

I have a mortgage, a car payment and the usual monthly bills, but other than that I don't have too many expenses. No toys (RV, boat, ATV, snowmoblie, etc) I scrape together the $400 to play hockey every year and I go for a beer after work at the end of the week, but that's about it.

My other big expense is a 16 year old daughter who is heavily involved in figure skating. If you think hockey is expensive, you ain't seen nothing....

I'm guessing that I'll continue to live paycheque to paycheque until she graduates and moves out on her own. Of course, by then I'll be 55 with very little to retire on. Luckily, I'm a musician and plan to be gigging well into my 70's.... B)

Archived