The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

More Canadians say they're living paycheque to paycheque

Grapefruits

Well, should I really be complaining that they manufacture opportunities for me to profit from?

I could use the excuse that we were investing in houses in Alberta before the Canadian and Alberta governments decided to inflate this housing bubble, but it's not like it would fly since we're still doing so.

But in all seriousness, I do try and stay away from investing anywhere that government feels the need to inflate. The government isn't my buddy, and it's not a relationship I want.

It's perfectly reasonable to invest on moral grounds where lucrative. Unfortunately the easiest investments (that require less research and intellect) are also often the dirtiest.

One place I will stay out of is the stock market. Only if I abandoned all morals would I invest there.

Stocks of offense...err, "defense" contractors are offside and off-limits for me and my capital... unless I can short them all the way down to zero. Profiting off of death and destruction is philosophically offensive to me, unless a party is being bullied and aggressed upon and needs to acquire the means to defend themselves with...

Government bonds...aka lending money to a government, NEVER...I cannot and will not accept the proceeds of crime (taxes) as income.

I make a pretty decent living. But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. I live the same life I lived 8 years ago when I was making 4 times less. I like to think some day I'll buy myself some toys, but I know I probably never will. I save and invest what I can, just like I did when I wasn't making good money.

Most people just refuse to live within their means. They don't plan for financial emergencies, but plan instead to buy an Ipad. Credit is not your friend if you cannot pay it back.

I'm 53 and I've been living paycheque to paycheque my entire life. I'm also one of those extremely rare people who does not own a cell phone.

I have a mortgage, a car payment and the usual monthly bills, but other than that I don't have too many expenses. No toys (RV, boat, ATV, snowmoblie, etc) I scrape together the $400 to play hockey every year and I go for a beer after work at the end of the week, but that's about it.

My other big expense is a 16 year old daughter who is heavily involved in figure skating. If you think hockey is expensive, you ain't seen nothing....

I'm guessing that I'll continue to live paycheque to paycheque until she graduates and moves out on her own. Of course, by then I'll be 55 with very little to retire on. Luckily, I'm a musician and plan to be gigging well into my 70's.... B)

Very similar to my deal. No cell, no toys.

Take in the occasional hockey or football game and hit the track a couple of times a year, other than that, it's been my kids and pets. Mortgage, monthly bills and an occasional outing eats it up but you don't really miss the frills if you focus on the important stuff. My biggest worry is the major unexpected expenses that come up, but I'm working on it. Funny how everytime I start feeling like I'm getting ahead something does spring up. Such is life I guess. But I'm happy without a lot of material things and good health and a great family/friends can't be bought, so I'm good. :)

Very similar to my deal. No cell, no toys.

Take in the occasional hockey or football game and hit the track a couple of times a year, other than that, it's been my kids and pets. Mortgage, monthly bills and an occasional outing eats it up but you don't really miss the frills if you focus on the important stuff. My biggest worry is the major unexpected expenses that come up, but I'm working on it. Funny how everytime I start feeling like I'm getting ahead something does spring up. Such is life I guess. But I'm happy without a lot of material things and good health and a great family/friends can't be bought, so I'm good. :)

I'm not asking to be rude or anything, but just being from up north I've never understood how people get by without a boat or RV or dirtbike or Sled, or huntin or fishin trips and such... Is it because people are mortgage poor? Or is there a lack of jobs that pay well? What is an average pay cheque down there? Is it something like 16-1800 take home every 2 weeks or is it worse than that?

I didnt mean to do the same thing now as forever but i hope to find my first work soon! I hope

Cool. I hope you do. You'll never forget your first job even if it ends up sucking.... lol

A couple of days ago I drove by the place where I had my first job over 24 years ago and they're getting ready to knock the building down because after about 40 years of being in the same spot they finally cracked open their wallets and moved the business a couple of miles away to a better location.

I'm not asking to be rude or anything, but just being from up north I've never understood how people get by without a boat or RV or dirtbike or Sled, or huntin or fishin trips and such... Is it because people are mortgage poor? Or is there a lack of jobs that pay well? What is an average pay cheque down there? Is it something like 16-1800 take home every 2 weeks or is it worse than that?

My personal deal is: TH pay is less. There is a lot competition for jobs and it's my fault too, for staying put rather than moving on (which I just did in May and now, at least, there is room for advancement and I fully expect that as I am running the place for someone else).

Luckily, the ex has the boat, dirtbikes (and we're still great friends) and my brother/Dad hunt and fish - so I have plenty of opportunity to do those things if I want to. But for me, myself, I took on the responsibility of the kids and, with a mortgage and them wanting to be involved in things over the years, it didn't leave a lot for savings, etc.

Things like this are the reason why this thread exists...

My personal deal is: TH pay is less. There is a lot competition for jobs and it's my fault too, for staying put rather than moving on (which I just did in May and now, at least, there is room for advancement and I fully expect that as I am running the place for someone else).

Luckily, the ex has the boat, dirtbikes (and we're still great friends) and my brother/Dad hunt and fish - so I have plenty of opportunity to do those things if I want to. But for me, myself, I took on the responsibility of the kids and, with a mortgage and them wanting to be involved in things over the years, it didn't leave a lot for savings, etc.

Okay, fair enough. It just seems like a never ending cycle, but I guess that's the cost of living in a big city. Doesn't mean there's not people here that aren't struggling. I've had my kids(5 & 3 now) on my own for 2+ years. But I struggled through work and school & somehow kept the farm, albeit a small one of just 40 acres. But in the last 6 months, the struggle is paying off. I believe you need to have it rough, to get the drive to make a change for a better life, but in Canada anyone can. You just gotta want it bad enough. Sitting around and waiting for luck to change things does not have a high success rate.

That being said it'd drive me nuts to not be able to give my kids all they want, or not have vacations or toys. I wouldn't find being mortgage poor to be living at all. But to each their own :)

My brother was living off campus while going to Uvic. He got a job with the provincial gov after grad and was being paid quite well but kept living in the same place with buddies, not owning a car, living the same lifestyle. Only change was he bought some nice clothes for work. Thats it. He paid off his student loans very quickly and since then has been investing.

Took about 5 years and a girlfriend who put her foot down to get him to move to a nicer place. He still lives a low buck debt free lifestyle tho.

We don't live up north... in the city there is no need for RV or dirtbikes, etc.

But we pay more for our living quarters, car insurance, etc.

Okay, fair enough. It just seems like a never ending cycle, but I guess that's the cost of living in a big city. Doesn't mean there's not people here that aren't struggling. I've had my kids(5 & 3 now) on my own for 2+ years. But I struggled through work and school & somehow kept the farm, albeit a small one of just 40 acres. But in the last 6 months, the struggle is paying off. I believe you need to have it rough, to get the drive to make a change for a better life, but in Canada anyone can. You just gotta want it bad enough. Sitting around and waiting for luck to change things does not have a high success rate.

That being said it'd drive me nuts to not be able to give my kids all they want, or not have vacations or toys. I wouldn't find being mortgage poor to be living at all. But to each their own :)

Here's a thing you're not considering: it's easier for a man than it is a woman in relation to what their earnings will be in many cases.

And "kept the farm" would indicate you've likely had some good fortune and things passed to you that you've managed to retain....I've had to do it all myself (even before marriage - I was the one who purchased the condo with assets and savings I had accumulated at a young age through working hard).

Wasn't going to go here (again), but... My parents both got cancer and my only sibling was a drug addict on the brink of death and needed me (at one point I recall getting off work, racing home to make dinner before going to the hospice to see Mom, then to care for Dad post chemo)...I had two elementary aged children, 3 jobs and, at the time, an ex was was totally going off the deep end and harassing me. Then my house flooded - not once but twice - and insurance abandoned me. It was a rough go - a decade of it. Add during that time I had my own health issues and ended up hospitalized and on the brink of death. It all adds up to some bad luck. Not excuses, but stuff happens. And to climb out of a hole isn't always easy...ESPECIALLY as a woman who was no longer a spring chicken. Not whining - just my reality...yours is likely different. If you had a head start consider yourself lucky, that's all. :)

And I might add that this "big city" was a small fishing community that I was born/raised in. So it's not like I came here as a chosen destination piont and am now complaining....this is where I've always been - it's home to me.

No one cared to be here not long ago (and I quite liked that). There were farms and canneries and now, all of a sudden, it's a "go to" destination and the secret's out. Not really sure what I could do about that?

I was basically in survival mode and, in looking back, not sure how I did. But I definitely agree about the drive and determination thing...which is why my life is slowly turning around. The thing is, single Dads are often praised and thought of as heroes but single Moms are sometimes stereotyped and stigmatized. And I experienced some of that in trying to move forward...despite having held some fairly important positions earlier in my life, opting to be a stay at home Mom when the kids were young wasn't something that helped on a Resume.

To finish this story/novel: I did train and became BCRPA certified in fitness...was on my way to becoming a personal trainer when the wheels fell off. Ten years later, after having health related issues, I had to have an immediate income when my ex and I split (it was a bad situation). So yeah - waaa. But all true and relevant.

Anyhow, it's a pretty good discussion to have. But we all have our stories and each one is different. Even homeless people are "somebodies", yet they're viewed as losers and nobodies. It's important to remember that lack of money doesn't always result from lack of effort.

Archived