The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Henrik Tallinder and Brendan Mikkelson with Leafs

Maple Leafs invite D Tallinder, Mikkelson to camp on PTOs:

The Toronto Maple Leafs have added some depth to their blue line on a tryout basis

The team has invited defencemen Henrik Tallinder and Brendan Mikkelson to training camp on professional tryouts.

Tallinder, 35, is an 11-year NHL veteran of 678 games split between the Buffalo Sabres and New Jersey Devils. In 64 games last season with the Sabres, Tallinder had two goals and six assists, averaging just under 19 minutes a game. He was a member of Sweden's silver medal-winning entry at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

Regina, Saskatchewan native Mikkelson spent last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins' AHL-affiliate Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, where he appeared in 73 games, scoring eight times and adding 30 assists. The 27-year-old has appeared in 131 NHL games with the Anaheim Ducks, Calgary Flames and Tampa Bay Lightning. He was a member of the Leafs' AHL-affiliate Toronto Marlies in 2010.

Maple Leafs training camp opens on September 18 and the team could be without defenceman Stephane Robidas to start it. The 37-year-old signed a three-year deal with the Leafs in the offseason, but has yet to be cleared for contact following surgery to replace a screw in his knee this summer.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461537

^

Last year I made a policy to stop hating, and disparaging, on our nearest rivals and cheer all Canadian teams. I cheered instead of jeering for the Leafs to make the play off's. Same for Ottawa, my home town Jets, Calgary , Montreal who did well and Edmonton. TO is at the bottom of that list though... :P

Santorelli is they're best pick up. Plays with heart. Edmonton improved most amongst Canadian teams IMO. Nikitin and Fayne, Pouliot and Purcell will all help the young core, Draisaitl could arrive as well. Montreal needs help up front. Vancouver also improved, but more modestly. Best acquisition was a new coach. Lots of new parts to gel, and identities to be forged. And also some reasonable loss in Kesler and Santo. The Leaf's? Well Booth will have to play like Pouliot and Tallinder will have to show the boys how to play D...

But yes, Good Luck!

What's the deal with Tallinder? 35 year old D who just played on the silver medal Olympic team should have a job, on paper at least, but I don't know much about his recent play. Injury issues, holding out for too much money, something like that?

It is actually kind of a mystery... he has WAY underperformed the past few seasons, but he is still a solid NHL defenceman. He is really comparable with Ohlund, but just always played on crappy teams so never put up quite the numbers.

Archived