The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - NSH

nmayne

We have a bit of a log jam at RW, and Nashville has literally the worst RW depth chart I have ever seen. Behind James Neal, these guys are rocking Zach Budish and Max Gortz. Seriously.

They have a need for a RW, and we have a few that fit their style of play quite well.

So what does Nashville have that we want?

SHEA WEBER.

Just kidding.

But they are having trouble signing Ryan Ellis, who though a bit of a late bloomer put up decent offensive numbers last year, and used to be quite the PP QB for Canada, something I think the Canucks could use.

My proposal would be:

Jannik Hansen

Ryan Stanton

Conditional 2nd (conditional based on when/how long he signs)

for

Ryan Ellis

I feel like Ellis could be signed for similar to what Tanev was, probably just slightly more because offensive stats always seem to mean more than defensive reliability. But even 2.5-3M for 3-4 years I think is worth it.

Our depth chart could be:

Bad Sedin - Good Sedin - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Vey / Insert Prospect Here - Matthais - Kassian

Sestito - Richardson - Dorsett

Edler - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Tanev - Ellis

I would also probably do a variation of this trade with Burrows, though I don't think management wants to trade him, and he likely wouldn't waive. Hansen may, for the opportunity to be a 2nd line player as opposed to a permanent 3rd line (possibly soon to be 4th line) player.

Thoughts?

JB, I know you are reading this. What better do you have to do on a Tuesday afternoon. I realize Ellis didn't play for Medicine Hat at any point but I think you should take a chance on him regardless.

I like Hansen, but i actually wouldn't mind. It's an interesting idea to consider.

I've always been partial to the honey badger as well, but I feel like unless we can offload Burrows he is the odd-man out on that right side. And while Ellis is likely our 6th D-man now, he has minimum top 4 upside, if not top pairing potential.

PS unrelated - anyone who campaigned to get Salo back should be on board with this, I mean come on.

Can you elaborate more on the conditions of that 2nd round pick? I think rather than creating a package deal like this for Ellis, they would prefer something straight up. On HF both Canucks and Preds fans were interested in a Jensen for Ellis swap. It gives the Preds an offensive player with upside and the Canucks get a talented puck moving albeit undersized defenseman. The issue with Hansen to the Preds is that as it stands they don't have a need for another forward. It would be like an opposing fan trying to move a 3rd line player to the Canucks, not really any interest as the Canucks have enough of those.

We could definitely use a PMD that is right handed and a more natural fit on the right side on the PP. Ellis, if the price is reasonable enough, could be a very good gamble to take.

Nashville has good offensive weapons on the back end already, making Ellis somewhat redundant long term. They could use a winger though which is likely why Ellis for Jensen is being thrown around.

Many Canucks fans wouldn't like it but that could actually be a reasonable trade for both teams. Still not sure I would do it or not though.

The concept has merit. Probably close value wise?

Holes;

- I don't think we have a depth in LHD to replace Stanton. We cant go just 3 deep (Hamhuis, Edler Sbisa) with nowhere else to go?

- Bieksa, Tanev, Ellis is itsy, bitsy, teanie, wienie on the right hand side..., backed up by Yannick Weber, even worse...

- I don't think Ellis is so good, ala WS Amigo's suggestion ^^^, where we should give up a young first round PF like Jensen. Who's upside is similar to Ellis for his position, but NHL size which renders him more valuable IMO.

So it needs a tweak. I'd have a go if it could be Hansen and the guy Ellis would replace in the line up, Weber...

It also creates a spot for one of our young forwards. Jensen most likely, Horvat, take your pick. As long as someone picks up the hustle Hansen brought (disclaimer), we end up more talented in two positions.

I've always been partial to the honey badger as well, but I feel like unless we can offload Burrows he is the odd-man out on that right side. And while Ellis is likely our 6th D-man now, he has minimum top 4 upside, if not top pairing potential.

PS unrelated - anyone who campaigned to get Salo back should be on board with this, I mean come on.

I mean, he's good at what he does and he's not bad but you have to give up something to get something so...hate to say it, Hansen would be the throw in guy.

The concept has merit. Probably close value wise?

Holes;

- I don't think we have a depth in LHD to replace Stanton. We cant go just 3 deep (Hamhuis, Edler Sbisa) with nowhere else to go?

- Bieksa, Tanev, Ellis is itsy, bitsy, teanie, wienie on the right hand side..., backed up by Yannick Weber, even worse...

- I don't think Ellis is so good, ala WS Amigo's suggestion ^^^, where we should give up a young first round PF like Jensen. Who's upside is similar to Ellis for his position, but NHL size which renders him more valuable IMO.

So it needs a tweak. I'd have a go if it could be Hansen and the guy Ellis would replace in the line up, Weber...

It also creates a spot for one of our young forwards. Jensen most likely, Horvat, take your pick. As long as someone picks up the hustle Hansen brought (disclaimer), we end up more talented in two positions.

Just throwing this out there

What about: Jensen for Ellis(Nash) and Tanev for Dillion(Dallas)........keep it friendly, I am just asking! It improves our skill and gets us bigger.

Ellis would be a great asset to the Canucks.

I was reading a proposal on HFBoards today that proposed the Canucks trade Jensen to Nashville for Ryan Ellis. Most people agreed that it was a fair trade...do you guys?

Came here to post this.

It's fair on both sides and I personally think that Vancouver would win the trade because I am not that high on Jensen.

Ryan Ellis

for

Nick Jensen

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa/Stanton - Ellis

I know a lot of people on here like Jensen but I think it will be hard for him to break into this team any time soon with Vrbata and Kassian ahead of him on the two top lines. I would rather have Hansen on the right wing on the 3rd line than Jensen as well. Ellis isn't the biggest guy but pairing him with a physical and defensive defensemen would make up for that. He is so good offensively as well, bound to break out this season. Ellis is also further a long his development than Jensen.

Archived