The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Advice for Trip to California

Down by the River

Oh, she does. She is on a shopping abstinence streak so that she can tear it up in the states.

PS. why do you have only 167 posts?

Where does she plan to go on a rampage? I don't know if hipster chic/vintage pieces are her thing but everyone I know in Berkeley and SF (men included) love to go thrift shopping. You just need a sharp eye to find diamonds in the rough but it's easy to create an entire outfit under $20. It's ridiculous and I'm jealous.

Speaking of good style, I just ran into this old picture of Harrison Ford circa late sixties. This is timeless fashion. Wow

o-HARRISON-FORD-570.jpg?6

As for the post count, I haven't had much insight to offer the last month or so. Brain has been pretty burned out. Plus it's a whole new account on CDC (for reasons) so everything has been reset.

Berkely itself is nice but if you leave town in any direction you can find yourself in Oakland. Don't go to Oakland. Ever.

In the Fillmore you will be ok though you might run into a few space cadets. Don't talk to them and you will be fine. Usually if someone on the streets comes up and starts talking to you they are either gettting ready to scam you or try to bum money so just pull out a "Sorry, I am in a hurry" and keep moving along.

If you go south from where you are you run into that more. Going north you run into it less and it eventually goes away entirely. So don't go south at night!

Besides, all the cool stuff is north. North beach has everything but a beach (or a place to park) including tons of awesome restaurants.

Go to Alcatraz at least once it's actually very cool to see. See if you can get locked up in the hole.

It's a shame the GF won't be in San Fran as you could bring her to the Giardelli chocholate factory. That would get you a lot of points. But not as many as.....

Go on a tour of wine country. There's win tours that leave right from the city and it's not about drinking it about tasting some nice stuff and seeing beautiful areas. Heck, go on your own it's so awesome. But man, you want to impress a women. If you want to completely teetoll and you have a car it's cool to just go driving around there. There's also an outlet mall in Napa I beleive.

Cool trip on an afternoon is to take the ferry to Sausalito and have lunch by the by.

Cool day trip is to drive down to Santa Cruz. For extra niceness take the Highway 1 Pacific Highway. Stop for lunch in Halfmoon bay. Very nice area. Look out for deer on the high areas though!

Might be too late to check out a baseball game when you get there but it's cool to go just for the experience.

IF you want to check out a sharks game it's not like buying Canucks tickets. They aren't cheep but not super expensive and while it's not empty like some places it's not THAT hard to get a ticket. You can even get there from Berkely. You can take the B.A.R.T. to Millbrae intermodal and then take the Caltrain to the downtown station in San Jose. You can walk to the game from there. And the last train leaves like 15 mins after the game so you can get back even if it's an overtime game. Best thing I liked is you can drink beer on the Caltrain so you could even have a beer on the way home after the game. Of course, my info is ten years out of date so double check. San Jose is like a police state I wouldn't worry about trouble there.

The Caltrain is also good for getting to places like Palo Alto (which is the home of Standford) and Castro street in Mountain view.

Fisherman's warf is like the most overrated tourist trappy holes there is. If you go do it during the day. See how weirded out you get by the street performers. Or don't go, you aren't missing once. Passing by on the way to Alcatraz (reserve way ahead of time FYI) is more than good enough.

Hope that helps!

Berkely itself is nice but if you leave town in any direction you can find yourself in Oakland. Don't go to Oakland. Ever.

In the Fillmore you will be ok though you might run into a few space cadets. Don't talk to them and you will be fine. Usually if someone on the streets comes up and starts talking to you they are either gettting ready to scam you or try to bum money so just pull out a "Sorry, I am in a hurry" and keep moving along.

If you go south from where you are you run into that more. Going north you run into it less and it eventually goes away entirely. So don't go south at night!

Besides, all the cool stuff is north. North beach has everything but a beach (or a place to park) including tons of awesome restaurants.

Go to Alcatraz at least once it's actually very cool to see. See if you can get locked up in the hole.

It's a shame the GF won't be in San Fran as you could bring her to the Giardelli chocholate factory. That would get you a lot of points. But not as many as.....

Go on a tour of wine country. There's win tours that leave right from the city and it's not about drinking it about tasting some nice stuff and seeing beautiful areas. Heck, go on your own it's so awesome. But man, you want to impress a women. If you want to completely teetoll and you have a car it's cool to just go driving around there. There's also an outlet mall in Napa I beleive.

Cool trip on an afternoon is to take the ferry to Sausalito and have lunch by the by.

Cool day trip is to drive down to Santa Cruz. For extra niceness take the Highway 1 Pacific Highway. Stop for lunch in Halfmoon bay. Very nice area. Look out for deer on the high areas though!

Might be too late to check out a baseball game when you get there but it's cool to go just for the experience.

IF you want to check out a sharks game it's not like buying Canucks tickets. They aren't cheep but not super expensive and while it's not empty like some places it's not THAT hard to get a ticket. You can even get there from Berkely. You can take the B.A.R.T. to Millbrae intermodal and then take the Caltrain to the downtown station in San Jose. You can walk to the game from there. And the last train leaves like 15 mins after the game so you can get back even if it's an overtime game. Best thing I liked is you can drink beer on the Caltrain so you could even have a beer on the way home after the game. Of course, my info is ten years out of date so double check. San Jose is like a police state I wouldn't worry about trouble there.

The Caltrain is also good for getting to places like Palo Alto (which is the home of Standford) and Castro street in Mountain view.

Fisherman's warf is like the most overrated tourist trappy holes there is. If you go do it during the day. See how weirded out you get by the street performers. Or don't go, you aren't missing once. Passing by on the way to Alcatraz (reserve way ahead of time FYI) is more than good enough.

Hope that helps!

Definitely helps. Especially the chocolate factory. My girlfriend will be with us from the 1st to 23rd so it will be good to have things the two of us can do together. I completely forgot about Stanford as well. One of my favourite things to do is look around different universities.

Actually ended up getting a place in North Beach instead of Fillmore. Like thirty seconds by City Lights bookstore, Glassjaw.

Hope that helps!

Ugh, I spent most of my later childhood eating Ghirardelli.. crappy chocolate. I'd rather have Gallo wine, and I'm not a wine person at all.

I'm actually surprised you would call San Jose a police state.. do you mean the South/East San Jose where no visitor would want to go anyways since there's nothing to do?

The San Jose metro area (including Santa Clara, Mountain View, and the Mall region of Milpitas) offers someone most of the benefits of SF, just in a more modern sense with more space to move.

Also, about beer on the Caltrain, I would check again, because Sharks games were often around 7:30pm to 10-10:30pm when I lived in SF and around the Bay Area (90s and 2000s) and by the time the game was over, a booze ban on the train was in effect. Not that people likely listen anyways, just like the Friday Caltrain commuter cars where people would just pass out beer (crappy beer like Keystone) to other passengers openly on the train.. still, it's like breaking the law in any other circumstance like speeding/illegally using the carpool lane.. may not get caught at first, but will eventually.

What's not advisable is drinking outside the HP/SAP Centre or whatever it's called now, between the arena and across the street to the parking lot/Diridon station. Every single game I went to always had a giant row of police officers after the game standing guard along Santa Clara St to arrest/ticket people dumb enough to drink in public. Reminds me eerily of any Bay Area bar, or entertainment venue like Dave and Busters.

Ugh, I spent most of my later childhood eating Ghirardelli.. crappy chocolate. I'd rather have Gallo wine, and I'm not a wine person at all.

I'm actually surprised you would call San Jose a police state.. do you mean the South/East San Jose where no visitor would want to go anyways since there's nothing to do?

The San Jose metro area (including Santa Clara, Mountain View, and the Mall region of Milpitas) offers someone most of the benefits of SF, just in a more modern sense with more space to move.

Also, about beer on the Caltrain, I would check again, because Sharks games were often around 7:30pm to 10-10:30pm when I lived in SF and around the Bay Area (90s and 2000s) and by the time the game was over, a booze ban on the train was in effect. Not that people likely listen anyways, just like the Friday Caltrain commuter cars where people would just pass out beer (crappy beer like Keystone) to other passengers openly on the train.. still, it's like breaking the law in any other circumstance like speeding/illegally using the carpool lane.. may not get caught at first, but will eventually.

What's not advisable is drinking outside the HP/SAP Centre or whatever it's called now, between the arena and across the street to the parking lot/Diridon station. Every single game I went to always had a giant row of police officers after the game standing guard along Santa Clara St to arrest/ticket people dumb enough to drink in public. Reminds me eerily of any Bay Area bar, or entertainment venue like Dave and Busters.

I could see why they would have time limits on the beer availabilty as I have been on trains that turned into pub crawls etc.

Now you must note that in once sentance you talk about San Jose not being a police state and then later you talk about them lining up to ticket people after a game. They also (at least when I lived there) like to ensure you don't talk to anyone outside the bar and find any reason they can to shoo people along. Sure, I get not wanting large drunken crowds outside of bars etc. but they take it to an extreme. That said if you don't want to party and like to feel safe San Jose has that in spades. Unfortunately there's not really much to do there.

The chocolate is chocolate I did put it in as a thing to make the gf happy....

• 2 months later...

did you attend any of the Berk tuition hike protests? You know, just for the hell of it?

#justberkeleythings

I left Berkeley the morning of the protests. As much as I don't really fit in with the whole activist crowd, one thing I did appreciate about Berkeley was that their undergrad population at least cared about things and took being in school seriously. You didn't see people spending the entire length of their stay in the library on Facebook.

In terms of highlights, Laguna Beach was my favourite for relaxation. Its not plastic surgery-fakeness California. Its more artsy, very relaxed.

I did a road trip down to Santa Cruz at the end of the summer and went on a stag to LA last April.

San Fran was a blast, when I was down there we stayed at a hostel and they had beer Olympics (read: Drinking games) going on at a local pub. It was a bloody blast, met a ton of cool people, drank $2 pabst all night, ended up at a karaoke joint until late (or early) in the morning the next day. If you're still like to get out and have a good time on the cheap (hell I'm 30 and I still rocked it) it's worth checking out if they have it going on, just peek in at one of the local hostels.

Also if you're driving down stop in Weed and go to Asian American BBQ. Super bizarre set up but pretty good cheap BBQ. Just off the highway. Really it's just smoked bbq served with rice.

LA I did all the tourist stuff and can't say anything really stood out beyond going to the beaches. I had never swam in the ocean with such large waves before that point (got larger ones in Santa Cruz later this year). That alone was worth the experience. Beyond that...hated 6 flags (but I don't like amusement parks), Hollywood blvd was more of had to go... Venice yea, super touristy and so forth but really, nothing made me feel unsafe. Have you guys not been around Downtown Vancouver?

I left Berkeley the morning of the protests. As much as I don't really fit in with the whole activist crowd, one thing I did appreciate about Berkeley was that their undergrad population at least cared about things and took being in school seriously. You didn't see people spending the entire length of their stay in the library on Facebook.

In terms of highlights, Laguna Beach was my favourite for relaxation. Its not plastic surgery-fakeness California. Its more artsy, very relaxed.

Re: Student protests..

They protest everywhere.

I went to visit my dad's grave in Modesto a few years back and college kids were protesting there -- AFAIK it was either Stanislaus or the junior college, or both, in that area. California colleges are known for protesting as often as Ontario universities (esp. in the GTA).

They've got the protesting thing down pat throughout the state.

Archived