The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows on Torts

TheRussianRocket.

The problem wasn't that he was playing injured. The problem is the fact he could never reach the fitness and competitiveness of other players because of that lack of playing/training/practising time.

We can all agree that .42 was a career year for Burrows and to expect him to return to that in unfair.

Actually a 0.30 GPG is a good expectation for Burrows and pretty much his average over the last 5 years. That equals to 25 goals. If Burrows can reach 25 goals this year, that's pretty good. I'm ok if he reaches 20 goals.

I'd be happy if he pops 25 goals.

Injuries are only an excuse when you play bad. Plenty of people return from injuries and do not miss a beat.

Depends on the type of injury and the extent, but generally, the younger the athlete, the quicker and more able he is to recover from injuries. It's part of slowing down, declining, not able to play as well as before, etc. This is what ultimately leads to players having to retire.

On that note, Burrows isn't 20 anymore. He's 30. It's going to take longer for him to recover from injuries. So yes, they are a valid excuse for how he played last season.

So let's hope he's fully recovered and ready to go this season.

Depends on the type of injury and the extent, but generally, the younger the athlete, the quicker and more able he is to recover from injuries. It's part of slowing down, declining, not able to play as well as before, etc. This is what ultimately leads to players having to retire.

On that note, Burrows isn't 20 anymore. He's 30. It's going to take longer for him to recover from injuries. So yes, they are a valid excuse for how he played last season.

\

So let's hope he's fully recovered and ready to go this season.

the other issue is timing...i don't care who you are/how young, breaking an ankle as a hockey player in the first game of the year is bad enough but

1. You come back mid year and now instead of progressing to game shape and game timing with everyone in the league you are back in training camp or worse physically because you haven't been able to even keep up your fitness (whereas at least in the offseason guys are working out), and the result is

a. You are completely out of shape

b. everyone in the league is at peak fitness levels

c. You have no game timing because of the time missed and your fitness

d. Everyone in the league is at their timing peak because they have 30 games under their belt and are in game shape

If one has played a competitive sport they understand this, a kid who's never got away from his ps4 doesn't

Then

2. You come back and within 3 weeks you break your face

3. Two HARD PAINFUL INJURIES IN ONE YEAR

4. No pro athlete gets on track sorry

Ever notice that those players that hold out in any sport during camp typically have bad years and many muscle injuries? why? because when they start playing everyone is in game shape and had the benefit of camp while they didnt

while this has no bearing on Burr's injuries as they were freak accidents/pucks hitting him, it shows something about timing and being in shape relative to your peers

some people here just don't think very deeply

The problem wasn't that he was playing injured. The problem is the fact he could never reach the fitness and competitiveness of other players because of that lack of playing/training/practising time.

We can all agree that .42 was a career year for Burrows and to expect him to return to that in unfair.

Actually a 0.30 GPG is a good expectation for Burrows and pretty much his average over the last 5 years. That equals to 25 goals. If Burrows can reach 25 goals this year, that's pretty good. I'm ok if he reaches 20 goals.

well said

Replying to something a few pages ago -

Over the three years he's been here, Kassian has developed very slowly. He's still extremely inconsistent, and we are waiting for that break out season still.

He was excellent the last stretch of the season where he put up 8-9 points in the last ten games - I think. Before that his performance was questionable at best.

I don't think he's stopped growing, don't get me wrong on that. I just don't think a break out season is as sure as you're trying to make it out to be.

Looks like some people need to take off the Canucks coloured glasses as they have been blinded by the spin.

Okay fine, his last 2 years have been abysmal for a top line winger. Better?

I will say that I hope he does regain his former scoring touch.

Why do you think the shortened season was "abysmal" for Burrows?

He was on paced for at least 20 goals and 40 points if it was a full 82 game season (similar stats to his 2010-2011 season)

Why do you think the shortened season was "abysmal" for Burrows?

He was on paced for at least 20 goals and 40 points if it was a full 82 game season (similar stats to his 2010-2011 season)

Because his shooting (17.1 to 4.8) percentage and goals for per game were down.

I was a big believer in Torts at first but now with all the facts pointing to how inept he was at doing his job

1) No contact with Utica management or Coach Green about any of the farm players

2) telling MG how to do his job by trying to get him to trade the teams heart and soul in Burrows

3) his fiasco in the inability to keep his emotions in tact (evidence Calgary game)

4) not even speaking to key players until half the season was gone.

Glad Torts is gone...clearly he had no clue how to coach this team

Amazing isn't it? I'm dumbfounded by his carelessness or attitude towards his career...

You've listed 4 points, but there's so much more...

5) forcing an immediate trade with Lou by playing Lack in the Outdoors game, resulting in MG getting a lessor return

6) overplaying Lack during the latter half of the season, destroying his respectable season until this point. Ruining his confidence and everyone else's confidence in his abilities....completely stacked the odds against a rookie having a respectable season. I'm pissed about this, because Benning might have had a little more faith in Lack and we could've used Miller's 6 million cap hit on another scorer to compliment the 2nd line.

7) Inability to adapt to the players abilities and force them to play a system that doesn't fit with their skill set...EVERYONE knows the Sedins are point producers and that they are aging, yet Torts decide to try something different?

8) Playing style... he only knows one method and he obviously lives by it. This is not a coach for this era...definitely not this team. He isn't able to adjust and tweak things when necessary or change things up.

9) One major factor, amongst many, is the coaches ability to get the most out of his players and have these guys reach their potential... He did the exact opposite with 90% of the players under him.

I'll stop here....but I'm sure people can keeping adding to your list of Torts awful tenure here.

I consider him one of....if not....the worst Coach in Canucks history. Yes, I know about the others, but there is a solid argument for Torts...

Really bizarre seeing a coach visit players and spend time with their families in Willie vs. a coach that pokes his players,screams,insults them and has little to no regard for anybody or anything but himself.

I remember when Torts was being introduced to the Canucks season ticket holders and he answered yes to 'ever making one of his players cry',when asked. He laughed and was so full of himself while I thought the man is a relic - twenty years behind in his craft and completely out of touch with the reality of the game and society.

Archived