The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] RFA Johansen to Receive KHL Offer

-Stammer-

RJ needs to suck it up and sign a bridge deal to prove his worth. Should he continue his upward trend he will then receive the big bucks at the end of his next contract.

The longer this goes on the more it seems that RJ has no interest in being a blue jacket, ala kyle turris.

columbus needs to suck it up and pay him like the 33 goal scoring, 1st line centering 6'2 former lottery pick he is. If they want him on a short term prove it deal then I think 10/2 is more than reasonable. But they seem to think 3 million a year is plenty.

The longer this goes on the more it seems that RJ has no interest in being a blue jacket, ala kyle turris.

Kyle Turris had a terrible relationship w his coach.

Johansen was used properly, and all staff think he's the future #1c of the team unlike Turris/phx

While he should take a bridge deal, the Jackets are low-balling what they think is a "hard offer" at 3x2.

columbus needs to suck it up and pay him like the 33 goal scoring, 1st line centering 6'2 former lottery pick he is. If they want him on a short term prove it deal then I think 10/2 is more than reasonable. But they seem to think 3 million a year is plenty.

To be fair even Anson Carter scored 33 goals in a year. Now granted two very different scenarios but 1 year doesn't make RJ entitled to big money as Anson thought it did.

A similar deal to PK Subban's past deal would suffice. PK took the bridge deal and struck it big becuase he proved his worth. As I said, if RJ truly wanted to be a blue jacket I am sure he would have taken a deal, as did PK. The longer it goes on the more it seems to be turning into a similar situation to kyle turris with the coyotes in the sense that he will hold out and end up being traded.

EDIT: PK's bridge deal was 5.75 mil over 2 years.

To be fair even Anson Carter scored 33 goals in a year. Now granted two very different scenarios but 1 year doesn't make RJ entitled to big money as Anson thought it did.

A similar deal to PK Subban's past deal would suffice. PK took the bridge deal and struck it big becuase he proved his worth. As I said, if RJ truly wanted to be a blue jacket I am sure he would have taken a deal, as did PK. The longer it goes on the more it seems to be turning into a similar situation to kyle turris with the coyotes in the sense that he will hold out and end up being traded.

EDIT: PK's bridge deal was 5.75 mil over 2 years.

pk also signed his deal when the cap was much lower...

Only barely. Even if you pro-rate Subban's numbers to today's cap numbers, it only changes from roughly $2.8M per year to $3.1M per year.

so what? MB forced PK to sign that stupid bridge deal. So he did. Then he won the Norris trophy. Then MTL refused to pay him the big bucks he earned, and things were about to get really ugly until Molson stepped in and put an end to MBs nonsense.

If I'm Johansen I'd be skeptical about playing that game.

And you can pro-rate it all you want, but the market price for superstars has gone up significantly the last few seasons.

so what? MB forced PK to sign that stupid bridge deal. So he did. Then he won the Norris trophy. Then MTL refused to pay him the big bucks he earned, and things were about to get really ugly until Molson stepped in and put an end to MBs nonsense.

If I'm Johansen I'd be skeptical about playing that game.

And you can pro-rate it all you want, but the market price for superstars has gone up significantly the last few seasons.

It's not fair to call Johansen a superstar yet. If a 60-point player is a superstar, what was Alex Burrows in 2010?

If a 60 point player is a superstar, is a 40-50 point player like Mason Raymond considered a "star"?

Johansen doesn't deserve superstar money yet.

Subban has also gone on record saying he is a huge Montreal fan his whole life, He is excited to play for them and doesn't want to be any where else. Can RJ say the same thing? That can definitely play a role in contracts.

"I grew up a fan, my father's a huge Montreal fan, and growing up watching the Montreal Canadiens everybody knows it's not just about one player, it's about a team and building a team and building a championship team. I want to be a part of that."

Also when Subban signed his bridge contract. His previous year stats were 7 goals, 29 assists, 36 points. Signed for 5.75 mill over 2 years.

RJ previous year is 33 goals, 30 assists, 63 points. his Bridge contract should reflect that if comparing to what Subban took.

Subban has also gone on record saying he is a huge Montreal fan his whole life, He is excited to play for them and doesn't want to be any where else. Can RJ say the same thing? That can definitely play a role in contracts.

"I grew up a fan, my father's a huge Montreal fan, and growing up watching the Montreal Canadiens everybody knows it's not just about one player, it's about a team and building a team and building a championship team. I want to be a part of that."

Also when Subban signed his bridge contract. His previous year stats were 7 goals, 29 assists, 36 points. Signed for 5.75 mill over 2 years.

RJ previous year is 33 goals, 30 assists, 63 points. his Bridge contract should reflect that if comparing to what Subban took.

I think it is all about him not wanting to be in Columbus beyond UFA status at the absolute worst case scenario.

Having said that, 36 points for a dman in pretty damn good. 63 points for a forward is good too but you are comparing apples to oranges.

Johansen deserves more than 3 mil per season on a bridge deal. But not a ton more really based on his actual results and play. He deserves some based on his potential to become a star player for sure but he is not a consistent one yet. That is why it is a short term deal.

I feel like a bridge contract of one or two years at $4.5M per or so would work well for him. Then, after proving it and perhaps even improving, he can rake it $7M+ per year. However, I suspect he wants out of Columbus anyways.

Sign a deal with an out clause. No harm in that. Puts pressure on Columbus

Isn't there something where if you go to Europe, you have to clear waivers to sign a deal back here?

mmmm, nevermind! I think that is that just an offer sheet or when you are UFA? Like with Ryan O'Reilly.

It's not fair to call Johansen a superstar yet. If a 60-point player is a superstar, what was Alex Burrows in 2010?

If a 60 point player is a superstar, is a 40-50 point player like Mason Raymond considered a "star"?

Johansen doesn't deserve superstar money yet.

I didn't call him a superstar... I didn't say to pay him like a superstar. I said 10/2 is reasonable. Superstars make 12 mill a season now.

I think it is all about him not wanting to be in Columbus beyond UFA status at the absolute worst case scenario.

Having said that, 36 points for a dman in pretty damn good. 63 points for a forward is good too but you are comparing apples to oranges.

Johansen deserves more than 3 mil per season on a bridge deal. But not a ton more really based on his actual results and play. He deserves some based on his potential to become a star player for sure but he is not a consistent one yet. That is why it is a short term deal.

I agree with ya bud, Was just posting as many forums are comparing PK's bridge contract to something similar RJ should take. No way CBJ will sign him for 4 years though knowing they lose any leverage over him after. This seems like it is escalating to a point where both sides are burning their bridges. Hard to go through signings like this and expect years of loyalty to the club. Its all speculation though, Maybe RJ just wants the most bang for the buck and doesn't care where he plays. Maybe he just wants out of the city and the club.

Wonder how long it will drag out. If it gets to a point where fans start demanding to pay RJ. Or demand to trade him for someone who puts the team first?

I know most hockey clubs wont bend so easy to public opinion but one time during the Canucks game fans started shouting Fire Gillis and it happened. So anything is possible.

Archived