The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yet another Luongo/Schneider Article...

DeNiro

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/on-hubris-and-hockey-trades/

It seems the Eastern media just can't stop trying to rub this situation in Canucks fans faces.

Just when Canucks fans are ready to move on and start a new era, they felt it's necessary to remind us yet again of what we had. And they wonder why people on the West Coast hate TSN and sportsnet?

Even though alot of what they say is true, there's two parts that bug me.

1) There's no credible sources that can prove what was offered for Luongo, or that he was even willing to waive to go to Toronto. So all this "you should have taken what we offered" stuff is garbage. The Leafs needed Lu more than the Canucks needed to trade him at that point. Remember the Reimer meltdown Leafs fans?

2) Saying that dumping Lu and keeping Schneider would have allowed us to remain contenders is false. The decline of our veterans after the 2011-12 season meant that the window was already closing, if not closed. The 4 million dollars we would have had, would not likely been enough to jolt this team back to life. And also saying that we could use Miller's 6 million elsewhere is false, because we would have to pay Schneider 4.5-5 mil if we had kept him.

Having said all that, the fact that our goaltending is already back to being pretty solid shows that goaltending is not an issue. In fact with Eriksson playing the way he is, Markstrom still in the system, and Demko coming up in a few years, I'd say we're about as strong as ever in that position. I think Leafs media is just jealous it's so hard for their team to find and retain good goaltenders.

Considering the train wreck that Gillis engineered with our goaltending it is a small miracle that it is likely the strongest position organizationally for us now. Toronto media is just jealous because our GM fixed the previous one's mistakes very quickly while their lame duck GM is too busy looking for a Tim Horton's to actually fix their problems.

Miller

Lack

Markstrom

Erickson

Demko

Short to long term we are in very good shape at goalie now.

If we had dumped Lou and kept Cory there is a good chance we would have had a better record and we still may have MG as our GM. When you think of it in that light it makes you kinda glad things went the way they did.

Good point.

I like to think things happen for a reason.

Things obviously weren't right under the Gillis regime. All you have to do is look at the fact that three players requested trades during his time as GM to know that.

I'm more than ready to move on from this, and I find it funny to think that Leafs media are stil talking about our goalie situation and not their own.

If we had dumped Lou and kept Cory there is a good chance we would have had a better record and we still may have MG as our GM. When you think of it in that light it makes you kinda glad things went the way they did.

Also add to the fact that maybe Cory may have played good enough to also save Tort's jobs

Canucks likely finish better than 6th last and we don't draft Virtanen.

We also don't get to see Lack in 40 games and see how much he's improved......

And we don't get Horvat.

Long Term is was a blessing

The fact that the author thinks Luo didn't start the WC game because he had failed to re-establish himself as the starter proves they're just making the situation sound as sensational as possible without much regard for the truth (i.e. Luo had played well all season but his pre-Olympic break stats had dropped in line with the team's play due in no small part to the coach losing his freaking mind.)

Sure the goalie situation here was badly mismanaged, but continuing to "report" half truths and outright rumors isn't showing that sports media is any better managed. Hopefully once the season starts they'll at least have something more current to give a half accurate account of.

It reads like a bad case of sour grapes from Leaf Nation. They would kill to have Miller or Lack in net for them.

Speaking of which. Some guy on Twitter was dumping on Paul Romanuk broadcasting the Leafs game saying he was uninspired. I responded maybe the issue the Leafs are playing uninspired. His response was him cursing me out.

Nice to see intelligent discussion from Leaf fans.

Move along...move along people....nothing to see here....

If our goalie situation sucked right now, I would have a hard time moving on.

But the fact that we recovered so quickly is nothing but positive.

We still have Markstrom and Matthias, and Horvat is looking like he could crack the roster. Things are not nearly as bad as this article tries to paint them as.

If our goalie situation sucked right now, I would have a hard time moving on.

But the fact that we recovered so quickly is nothing but positive.

We still have Markstrom and Matthias, and Horvat is looking like he could crack the roster. Things are not nearly as bad as this article tries to paint them as.

Yes, and a couple free agent goaltenders named Lack and Eriksson that Gillis signed.

I always love when idiots from Toronto try to throw blue koolaid this way.

The Leafs aren't going to earn their claims of "Canada's best team" by looking at better teams and attempting to mock their management.

Toronto is way too cold to be living in glass houses.

BAN those fools!

Wait, Cox? I didn't know people actually still read what he had to write.

I do when it's a top headline on Sportsnet.

I thought they were supposed to the Canucks official broadcaster. I guess the trash articles aren't going anywhere though.

I will say though, reading that article does help hammer home the point how lucky we are. In the span of a year, we go from having two legit starters to a different set of two legit starters. Has that ever happened to any other team in the history of the NHL?

Edmonton hasn't had even one in decades.

Archived