The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yet another Luongo/Schneider Article...

DeNiro

The Leafs in their own eyes....

Maple Leafs: Canada's best hockey team

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/11/01/maple_leafs_canadas_best_hockey_team.html

The Leafs to the rest of the world....

Toronto Maple Leafs are the worst sports franchise in North America, according to ESPN

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/09/19/toronto-maple-leafs-are-the-worst-sports-franchise-in-north-america-according-to-espn/

Gee Damian, I wonder why Luo wouldn't waive LOL!!

(Because he'd rather play for the Florida Panthers.)

If our goalie situation sucked right now, I would have a hard time moving on.

But the fact that we recovered so quickly is nothing but positive.

We still have Markstrom and Matthias, and Horvat is looking like he could crack the roster. Things are not nearly as bad as this article tries to paint them as.

Players like Horvat don't grow on trees. He has the potential to be that playoff performer that opponents hate playing against.

Did things really end up that bad for us? We managed to replace both of them with two very good goaltenders.

Miller + Lack + Horvat + Matthias >>>> Schneider or Luongo + Lack

Looking back at comparable goaltender trades:

Ben Bishop for Cory Conachor (Was on waivers)

Varlamov for the 11th overall in 2012 (Weaker than the 2013 draft)

Bernier for Scrivens, Frattin, and a 2nd Rnd pick

Meh, we got a reasonable asset for Schneider and we ended up dumping a big contract. I'd say we did alright.

Did things really end up that bad for us? We managed to replace both of them with two very good goaltenders.

Miller + Lack + Horvat + Matthias >>>> Schneider or Luongo + Lack

Looking back at comparable goaltender trades:

Ben Bishop for Cory Conachor (Was on waivers)

Varlamov for the 11th overall in 2012 (Weaker than the 2013 draft)

Bernier for Scrivens, Frattin, and a 2nd Rnd pick

Meh, we got a reasonable asset for Schneider and we ended up dumping a big contract. I'd say we did alright.

been saying this since Schneider has been traded the Canucks got very comparable value

Say what you will but I think there's a great chance that Schneids asked for a trade outta here..

you know the rumors, he who shall not be named (RK17) would be to blame.

If I was Schneider I'd want to get far away from a teammate like that.

That's why at the last minute they had no choice but to crawl back to Lu to keep him here, then we get Tortified and lose Lu anyway! What an incredible Donkey's A$$ that goofy coach was!

I'm so glad this all behind us for now (well, for the most part).

Linden and Benning are doing a fine job of righting the ship and when you to take in consideration all the NTC (Gillis candy) that's incredible.

As for the "Big Smoke" media, they can only wonder why the 'Lousy Leafs' can't put it together and take it out on us. Another year of Leafs hockey and more Canuck table scraps, last year Raymond now Santorelli and Booth. I was surprised they didn't go after Markstrom, I guess it was because we wouldn't retain salary.

Is there a bright future for the Leafs moving forward? I like our prospect pool better!

I was going to click the link to see who wrote it, but thankfully you saved me having to give an article of his any more page views. Cox is terrible.

Your Canucks Talk will be way more dumber than anyone else's. (According to my own topic). :huh:

If you want to say anything negative next, then I will try to ignore your next comment.

If we had dumped Lou and kept Cory there is a good chance we would have had a better record and we still may have MG as our GM. When you think of it in that light it makes you kinda glad things went the way they did.

Why? Lui went 3 and 0 vs Cory last year.

Clearly Cory is better? Derp.

Either way I'm glad that dictator pathetic Tortorella Scum from Boston is gone and we have 3 solid goalies on our team.

Ps Cory suxxxx

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/on-hubris-and-hockey-trades/

It seems the Eastern media just can't stop trying to rub this situation in Canucks fans faces.

Just when Canucks fans are ready to move on and start a new era, they felt it's necessary to remind us yet again of what we had. And they wonder why people on the West Coast hate TSN and sportsnet?

Even though alot of what they say is true, there's two parts that bug me.

1) There's no credible sources that can prove what was offered for Luongo, or that he was even willing to waive to go to Toronto. So all this "you should have taken what we offered" stuff is garbage. The Leafs needed Lu more than the Canucks needed to trade him at that point. Remember the Reimer meltdown Leafs fans?

2) Saying that dumping Lu and keeping Schneider would have allowed us to remain contenders is false. The decline of our veterans after the 2011-12 season meant that the window was already closing, if not closed. The 4 million dollars we would have had, would not likely been enough to jolt this team back to life. And also saying that we could use Miller's 6 million elsewhere is false, because we would have to pay Schneider 4.5-5 mil if we had kept him.

Having said all that, the fact that our goaltending is already back to being pretty solid shows that goaltending is not an issue. In fact with Eriksson playing the way he is, Markstrom still in the system, and Demko coming up in a few years, I'd say we're about as strong as ever in that position. I think Leafs media is just jealous it's so hard for their team to find and retain good goaltenders.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of Canucks fans, Deniro. The sad sack, one note, eastern media has no legitimate team in the province of Ontario to cheer for, so, as typical pathetic Ontario based media do, they turn to the West to complain.

This is no surprise at all. The Canucks have owned the rest of Canada for the last decade. Montreal is the only truly legitimate threat, thanks to Benning's hard work and ability.

In short, once the eastern media realizes that the Maple Leafs thrive off of the Canucks sloppy seconds, we will finally see a change.

Say what you will but I think there's a great chance that Schneids asked for a trade outta here..

you know the rumors, he who shall not be named (RK17) would be to blame.

If I was Schneider I'd want to get far away from a teammate like that.

That's why at the last minute they had no choice but to crawl back to Lu to keep him here, then we get Tortified and lose Lu anyway! What an incredible Donkey's A$$ that goofy coach was!

I'm so glad this all behind us for now (well, for the most part).

Linden and Benning are doing a fine job of righting the ship and when you to take in consideration all the NTC (Gillis candy) that's incredible.

As for the "Big Smoke" media, they can only wonder why the 'Lousy Leafs' can't put it together and take it out on us. Another year of Leafs hockey and more Canuck table scraps, last year Raymond now Santorelli and Booth. I was surprised they didn't go after Markstrom, I guess it was because we wouldn't retain salary.

Is there a bright future for the Leafs moving forward? I like our prospect pool better!

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/the-player-was-traded-because-he-slept-with-a-teammates-wife-myth/

Honestly, I think the Eastern media is simply jealous that the Canucks are already farther along in their rebuild than the Leafs (or whatever the hell the leafs are trying to do). Fact is that our goaltending is probably set for about 15 years (Miller, Lack, Eriksson, Demko), and in just a couple of years we've built a better pool of prospects than they have. We're doing it the right way, drafting the right players in the right positions, and developing them naturally.

And for all of the flack that Gillis gets (and rightfully so), it was under him that we drafted Jensen, Gaunce, Hutton, Horvat, Shinkaruk and Cassels. I'm not saying he didn't deserve to be fired (he obviously had to go), what I am saying is that his legacy in Vancouver has yet to be written.

damein cox wow u just came up with this story now ! it took you 3 odd months to figure this all out, most intelligent hockey fans knew most of story line already 3 months ago , wow rogers actually pays you to write that , cox you should just sticks with whats out east at least w you can write about how great the canucks casts offs are on the laffs

Archived