The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT (Canucks VS Oilers) It's a win!

KingAlex

Right, that's why I think Burrows should be tried the third line checking role.

I would try switching Vey and Burrows and try

Higgins-Bonino-Vey

Burrows-Richardson-Kassian

Although we won, can't help but feel concerned about lack of secondary scoring. I must say Higgins-Bonino-Burrows played well but failed to create any grade A chances against a team with relatively weak defence.

I think the 2nd line wing position is actually an audition for the 3rd line because of this.

We will have a RH winger up there and move a LH winger down.

Nice win tonight!

Miller time. What a great game for him. Great bounce back after a iffy game last time.

Sedin-Vbrata line is still amazing me. Great chemistry only after 3 games.

Defensively we were decent. Still some work to do on coverage and clearing the puck.

PP= meh. PK= Outstanding per usual.

And man... the Oilers suck so much a$$. You'd think after being in the basement of the NHL for nearly ten years that they'd learn how to create a well rounded team. Guess not.

Our first REAL test is tomorrow against Stammer and the Lightning. Then we'll see what this team is made of.

It shouldn't be this hard for the Oil brass to fix their team

What I would do.

Move Eberle for a young D stud

Move Yakupov for a package of bottom 6 depth

Sign Sami Salo for more D depth

Sign Marty Brodeur to play tandem with either Fasth or Scrivens

I know that's oversimplifying, but if bold moves aren't made, they'll never get any better.

I thought Burrows had a really strong game tonight. Provided the backbone defence that got us through to our 2 goals.

Agreed, burrows looked great even though if I was nitpicking, I'd fault him for trying to be too pretty on a few plays.

Miller made me a bit anxious in the first but he seemed to get real comfortable from the second onward . He and Lack will easily gain us a few extra points this year and even though it's early, it's looking like we could leapfrog colorado for a playoff spot this year

Had tape over Kesler's name, had Vrbata's name replaced with a sharpie. Vrbata scored, I cheered, Oilers fan chirped me told me to go F myself, no way Canucks were going to win that game. Kept egging me on throughout the game, Sedin scored empty netter, turned around, he was gone.

Good for you. I am gonna do the paper name bar Vrbata sharpie thing next game. Sounds like some classless Coiler fans. Probably lives by a ditch on Whitemud ave.

It shouldn't be this hard for the Oil brass to fix their team

What I would do.

Move Eberle for a young D stud

Move Yakupov for a package of bottom 6 depth

Sign Sami Salo for more D depth

I know that's oversimplifying, but if bold moves aren't made, they'll never get any better.

If I were the oil Id be extremely wary about giving up on yakupov. He looks a lot more confident out there in all three zones despite his 9 min a night usage . Perron and Eberle should be on the trade block no doubt because there probably aren't many teams that would pay fair value for Yak

The Oilers played better than they did on their road trip. When our top players (Sedin line/Miller, top D) play well, we fare fine. I'm a little concerned at the drop off in production in the other lines, in case the top line has an off night.... Overall a well structured 4 line effort and top notch goal tending (as Oil had some good scoring chances). Beauty pass by Danny to Vrbata, not sure how he threaded that through there, pure Sedin magic. I love the way Vrbata gels with the twins.

Sigh....as much as some people think, the answer does not lie with Martin Brodeur.

He is a very accomplished goaltender, no doubt. Having said that, he spent decades behind a great defensive system.

Put Brodeur on the Oilers and he will get lit up like a Christmas tree, sad to say, but true.

Very encouraged by the strong defensive play overall. I'm quite concerned that Sbisa is a very bad defenseman. I like his physicality, but he seems to always turn it over and also gets caught flat footed two or three times a game. IE tonight on Draisaitl and Saturday on Yakupov's goal.

Oilers have tons of issues. I thought Yakupov was clearly the second best forward outside of Hall. I don't think RNH and Eberle are actually all that good. Would be secondary players on a better team. Hall flies around though. You can notice him on every shift basically. Their defense is awful. On the Vrbata goal, both Fayne and Purcell follow the puck and completely disregard their surroundings. Too many players that have lost for too long.

Although there was nothing wrong with Kassiansn's game tonight, he just looks so lackadaisical out there sometimes. Would love to see him play the game with Burrows type intensity from time to time.

Would also like to see him on the 2nd, he'll have more opportunities to use his incredible passing skills, and maybe playing with Burrows some intensity will rub off on him.

I like that idea a lot. I remember people talking about how the Canucks were aiming to get Kassian and Kesler together as a duo last year, and it never seemed to work. The problem, of course, was that Kesler can't pass.

Burrows on the other hand, plays a much more selfless style of game. Freed up from the Sedins cycling and loops around the ice, we get to see Burrows for what he is best at - skating, forechecking, pestering, and playing tight defence. With Bonino and Kassian, he'd have someone to work with, and like you said, perhaps encourage Kassian to be more intense consistently.

Just off the top of my head (and I know it forces a couple of guys to play off their wings), I'd like to see forward lines something like:

Vrbata Sedins

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Richardson Vey

Matthias/Horvat/Hansen/Dorsett

Not really sure where to place Horvat without seeing him in regular season,but am definitely pulling for him to stick after his 9 games, at least as the 4C occasional 3C or 13th forward every so often. The experience will still be better than the OHL.

If we stay somewhat healthy, nothing wrong with shuffling Hansen/Dorsett/Horvat or even Vey/Richardson/Higgins/Kassian in and out as the 13th man for the odd 'maintenance day' or whatever you want to call it. Reality is it probably won't come to that with inevitable injuries and whatnot.

Pretty good game after the 1st period ended, you could see the time off had our players looking rusty. Miller came ready to play from the get go though and that was a big reason we won today. The 1st line is looking freaking awesome, Vrbata could have had two or three goals, he knows where to go for those seeing eye passes from the twins. The reffing was off today. 2 of those penalty calls were very weak. One was a cross check but it was not really a cross check the player used his glove and the edmonton player was already falling but I guess the ref who called it saw differently.

Archived