The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4th line disaster ( and weak bottom 6)

Rodzilla131

Hansen Dorsett and Matthais are each already -3 and have combined for zero points. While I think they each have attributes the team needs/wants (size/speed/toughness) collectively they've had one good shift. Sestito and Horvat thrown in might help, but considering the so-so defense of Vey and Kassian , doesn't this bottom 6 look way to easy to score on?

Hansen Dorsett and Matthais are each already -3 and have combined for zero points. While I think they each have attributes the team needs/wants (size/speed/toughness) collectively they've had one good shift. Sestito and Horvat thrown in might help, but considering the so-so defense of Vey and Kassian , doesn't this bottom 6 look way to easy to score on?

Maybe you should wait for a couple of more games before judging how the roster is setup. We haven't even played 5 games yet and you are already calling it a disaster.

They were actually one of the best lines in Edmonton and were decent last night.

They were -2 game 1 so in a game we lost 4-2 were a -1 (which is to be expected from a line that doesnt score much). So if you call game 1 a bit of a mulligan, then really they havent been that bad.

I'd prefer to see our bottom 6 like this though

Higgins Horvat Kassian

Matthias Richardson Dorsett / Hansen

That improves our faceoffs, which matters alot for lines that don't score much (puck posession), gives Kass a player who can feed off him, and our 4th line is solidified with Richie up the middle.

I suspect that is what we will see when Bo slots in

Right players wrong mix I think. I think Dorsett as potential to make an impact, Vey is clearly going to get top 6 minutes when someone screws up seeing as he is already getting 1 unit PP time. And well Matthias, idk man it's hard to say. He's had some good moments but I have watched that much of him more flashy players on the ice, I hardly notice when he has the puck

Dorsett isn't that good, seems to take a lot of dumb penalties. I would sit him for a game or two in favour of sestito to see if he can bring something different for the 4th line.

Really don't understand why Benning traded a 3rd rounder for a ufa to be 4th liner that is small and doesn't bring anything outside of body checking.

Disaster? That's a little dramatic and premature.

Hockey teams ARE a work in progress...you don't decide an entire line's a disaster over a matter of less than a handful of games. God, allow for some chemistry to build.

I honestly wonder if some of the people making these claims actually watch them play or just check in with stats. We played a good game against a fairly brilliant team with some of the league's best and did NOT look out of place....as a matter of fact, I feel we outplayed them for the most part. I feel that some here are programmed to complain at the first sign of a loss. Pace yourself.

Weel actually it was the top line that dropped two goals to stamkos last night out of the gate.

Although I somewhat agree that the fourth line is underwhelming physically. Dorsett is small and didnt take every opp to hit last night, especially early. Matthias plays small for his size and Hansen is no longer a honey badger it seems.

Disaster? That's a little dramatic and premature.

Hockey teams ARE a work in progress...you don't decide an entire line's a disaster over a matter of less than a handful of games. God, allow for some chemistry to build.

I honestly wonder if some of the people making these claims actually watch them play or just check in with stats. We played a good game against a fairly brilliant team with some of the league's best and did NOT look out of place....as a matter of fact, I feel we outplayed them for the most part. I feel that some here are programmed to complain at the first sign of a loss. Pace pyourself.

Amen to that Deb.

If the OP actually did watch the game, he'd have noticed that the first line was on the ice for a couple of goals. So is the first line a disaster?

Kassian had our highest points per minute 5 on 5 last year. So far Vey looks to have Brendan Morrison type potential and speaking of Morrison is probably the best playmaker I've seen since (not named Sedin).

Don't understand the Matthias hate, he is a very solid all around player and is surprisingly fast for his size. Hansen and Richardson have shown they can be good players very recently, I am not too worried.

This fourth line is our best since Letowski - Chubarov - Cooke but they might need a slight tweak or just time to really get rolling. I think Hansen would look good on the 3rd if not for the fact that it would be a line of 3 right wings and unfortunately Matthias seems better suited for centre.

I am not completely sold on Dorsett. I think he is a far cry from the 20 point player he was in CBJ. He did have a bad injury, and when Rangers fans were celebrating his departure I wasn't too keen on the deal, especially after seeing the progress of Tom Sestito and the heart he showed last season (one of the few bright spots, albeit not very bright).

We are 3-1 and lost one game against a strong team with our backup in net, a game that we played well and really could have won. Tampa seemed to be the luckier team, it happens.

Weel actually it was the top line that dropped two goals to stamkos last night out of the gate.

This, with Hamhuis and Bieksa the defensive pairing for both as well. And the 4th line came out after the Higgins goal, brought the puck out of their own zone and ended with a rush to the net.

I noticed them again as they came on the ice right as the Brewer delay of game penalty near the end of the 1st was over. Matthias did a good job to check a player right at the blue line but the puck came free and the D had backed off into no man's land so when Stamkos picked it up he stepped around Weber pretty easily and had a good scoring chance. They kept the Stamkos line to the outside of the zone reasonably well though Bieksa and Weber couldn't sort out who was going to get the puck where and clear it.

They started another defensive shift near the 3 minute mark of the 1st (when Weber took the holding penalty) and played that positionally well in their own end with Dorsett finishing the shift by throwing his body around.

I don't need to outline all their shifts, but I'm watching the game now after being out last night so I'll keep an eye on the play they got the minus on (the TB goal in the 3rd). Regardless, they weren't the problem. The mistakes I did see as mentioned above were from the defence.

They're still on-pace for exactly the kind of performance you'd expect this season.

I'd probably use Matthias on the pk a bit. Even Dorsett is capable of certain minutes. Hansen should be on the top pk unit permanently. Keep's them all in the game, not that their minutes are exceptionally low.

To me it feels like Mathias could do a LOT more out there at least being more physical. He's massive AND fast, if he can use that to his advantage he can really create some space out and help out his 4th line. He's using his speed ok sometimes but I have yet to see him lay out a big hit which is what's disappointing

EDIT: That said, it's only one game... you win some you lose some

Mathias has impressed in the last game and is always using his body. Hansen is one of our best defensive forwards and he was just unlucky against Edmonton like Hank was last night. Dorsett has been a wrecking ball and been like a more disciplined Torres out there.

How can you call a fourth line a disaster after they were our second best line against one of the best teams in the league

Archived