The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nursing Jobs in the Lower Mainland/UBC & BCIT Nursing Programs

- PikaBOO -

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of becoming a nurse someday, and I'm wondering if I will have a hard time finding a job in the lower mainland due to the many nursing schools around here?

I'm aware that in other regions of BC many nurses are needed. But I'm not too sure if I would like to move away from my family and friends.

While we're at it, how do the UBC and BCIT nursing programs compare? I know that they are both strong nursing schools, and that the BCIT program has a longer term. I would just like to know how they differ from each other.

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of becoming a nurse someday, I'm just wondering if I will be able to/have a hard time finding a job in the lower mainland due to the many nursing schools around here?

I'm aware that in other regions of BC many nurses are needed. But I'm not too sure if I would like to move away from my family and friends.

Thanks in advance!

Not at all, nursing is probably one of the safest jobs you could choose as a career..Always gonna be in demand.

Kwantlen has a good nursing program, I know a few people who recently graduated from the Kwantlen program and already have full-time jobs. Nursing is a safe bet for a career but is definitely a very challenging program. Also Kwantlen would be a lot cheaper than UBC or BCIT.

UBC Okanagan (kelowna) have a fantastic nursing program.. It is highly regarded, even over the likes of UBC Vancouver. I know quite a few people who have gone through that program straight into jobs after they graduate.

Nursing isn't no joke though. It is a demanding program that requires a lot of time and study.

Great career choice IF you have the personality for it. You are faced with a lot of heart wrenching tragedy as a nurse, you have to be able to stomach that and treck forward, as well as dealing with people who are hard to deal with for most of your day.

I had a pretty serious operation a few years ago and I was sitting in the waiting room (pre-op room) for HOURS because my operation was delayed, and the nurse was so nice to me. she sat there talking to me about indie music and all these movies that most people i know probably haven't seen, let alone heard of

It was a truly great conversation, and I couldn't tell if she was having it because she was bored or because she knew it was calming me the hell down, but either way, I've never looked at nurses the same way. a good nurse can be a pretty powerful person in a unique way

UBC Okanagan (kelowna) have a fantastic nursing program.. It is highly regarded, even over the likes of UBC Vancouver. I know quite a few people who have gone through that program straight into jobs after they graduate.

Nursing isn't no joke though. It is a demanding program that requires a lot of time and study.

Great career choice IF you have the personality for it. You are faced with a lot of heart wrenching tragedy as a nurse, you have to be able to stomach that and treck forward, as well as dealing with people who are hard to deal with for most of your day.

You forgot to mention the hard hours. Nursing is not a 9-5 Mon-Fri job. Long shifts at all hours of the day and night including holidays.

I had a pretty serious operation a few years ago and I was sitting in the waiting room (pre-op room) for HOURS because my operation was delayed, and the nurse was so nice to me. she sat there talking to me about indie music and all these movies that most people i know probably haven't seen, let alone heard of

It was a truly great conversation, and I couldn't tell if she was having it because she was bored or because she knew it was calming me the hell down, but either way, I've never looked at nurses the same way. a good nurse can be a pretty powerful person in a unique way

Mine's gave me laughing gas, That B!tch! :)

As with most jobs, you may have to start somewhere out of the city if you want to go into the more popular nursing fields (i.e. ER, ICU, etc.)... However, as a whole, there isn't a shortage of work since nursing is so diverse and widespread. From a job perspective standpoint (taking into account potential starting wages + job availability), it's one of the best undergraduate degrees to get. As for toughness of the job, it is possible to avoid the 12 hour shift rotations + burnout/stress by choosing the right field or even a combination of fields (but may require sacrificing of "fun" jobs), but at the end of the day, the difficulty of the job is something you should really consider.

As for programs, UBC is one of the fastest you can complete. You will need at least 2 years of undergraduate education in order to be eligible, but it may be a nice way to get your degree out of the way quickly (assuming you already have those 2 years done). I have heard that the accelerated programs does impact the quality of education, but if you really want my opinion, don't let that drive you away. Realistically, you will get an extra several months of training in any mainstream nursing department you choose to enter anyway, so I would probably just get the piece of paper that says you have a B.N. ASAP. One more note, is that UBC's program is quite competitive nowadays... It requires a pretty big supplemental, and even has an MMI component. I suppose that's a good thing... But it's a possibility entrance to the program may be harder than you think.

BCIT I hear has a good nursing program (as with pretty much anything at BCIT). It's a little longer, but they do incorporate paid training, I believe (not much, but better than nothing). If I recall correctly, it may need some first year university course pre-reqs, but don't quote me on that.

I would encourage you to do your own research and talk to people you know that have gone through the program - there's nothing more valuable than first hand accounts. You will get a lot of very uneducated opinions on here (including mine... most of it is through others' experiences or is purely superficial knowledge), combined with a ton of misconceptions about nursing. By the sounds of it, you haven't really dug into it much.

Archived