The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sami Salo might retire after having wrist surgery

Ex-Canuck has played in 878 career games:

If it were up to Sami Salo he would be playing for an NHL team this season. Unfortunately the curtain might be closing on the 40-year-old defenseman’s career, according to Sportsnet.

That’s because Salo has undergone surgery due to the wrist injury he has been dealing with.

Salo completed a two-year, $7.5 million deal with the Tampa Bay Lightning last season. He had 17 points, a plus-11 rating, and averaged 18:11 minutes per game.

If he does retire, he’ll be closing the book on a 878-game career with the Ottawa Senators, Vancouver Canucks, and Lightning. He reached or surpass the 30-point mark on three separate occasions and has recorded 99 goals and 240 assists.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/19/report-salo-might-retire-after-having-wrist-surgery/

He's been a class act and played the game with integrity, Loved having him on the Nucks, I still remember those laser's he fired in the SJ series during the cup run. Too bad he's had such bad luck being riddled with injuries through out his career. Nonetheless whatever happens he'll always have the respect of Nucks fans I'm sure. Just wish he got to win a cup.

Salo is one of my favorite players. I have his jersey to prove it. He's a classy player who plays the game with intelligence, grit, honor & integrity. He was such a great all-around defenceman.. & one of the best mentors that a young D-man could have. He will be missed by this league..if he cannot return. I am sure if he desires to coach, scout, or mentor young players, here or in Europe, there will be no shortage of offers. His character & experience alone makes him an asset to any organization.

If he's done playing professionally - I enthusiastically nominate him as one of the 1st non-O-6 affiliated players to the Department of Player Safety...he's a far better choice than say...Pronger. His selection would prove that change has really come... and - I dont think there's anyone out there, who would distrust the integrity of his evaluations... or dare to criticize his qualifications for the job.

Salo is one of my favorite players. I have his jersey to prove it. He's such a classy player, who plays the game with intelligence, grit, honor & integrity. He was a great all-around defenseman & one of the best mentors a young D-man could have. He will be missed by the league if he cannot return to it. But i am sure if he desires to coach, scout or mentor young players here or in Europe, they will be no shortage of offers. His character alone makes him an asset to any organization.

If he's through playing - I enthusiastically nominate him as one of the 1st non-O-6 affiliated players to the Department of Player Safety...he's a far better choice than say...Pronger. His selection would prove that change has really come... and - I dont think there's anyone out there, who wouldn't distrust the integrity of his evaluations... or dare to criticize his qualifications for the job.

Except for that time he tried to kill Marchand. :emot-parrot:

Totally agree with that second paragraph.

Except for that time he tried to kill Marchand. :emot-parrot:

Totally agree with that second paragraph.

My last paragraph had to be corrected for too many negatives. Marchand was the one who tried to kill ..him. But - yah...I'm starting a 'reform the DPS' campaign, now.

They have been heavily-seeding the DPS the O-6 /So-Cal way in the past,...OTT, VAN, TB getting an honest point-of-view represented, would give that group some balance. But I guess he'd have to agree to live near the NHL's war-room... & would he even be willing to do that? Or is that necessary?

Sami Salo is, in terms of character, all a hockey player (or any person for that matter) should aspire to be: humble, respectful, gritty, and perseverant. One of my all-time favourite Canucks.

If this is indeed his retirement, I hope he enjoys it and that all these injuries don't cause him too much trouble later in life. He's a class act and was a solid defenseman.

It was actually pretty heartbreaking when he left the Canucks.. And I hate the fact that he might have to end his career like this...

It's not very often you see someone play hockey by the book.. Simply tied up the opponent's stick, stuck to his position, wasn't physical unless he had to be, didn't fight, didn't even trash talk or get angry at other players, even refused to do a slapshot because he was worried he would hurt someone... That's what a professional hockey player does... and he was fantastic at it.

In today's NHL, you don't see many players that actually deserve to win a Stanley Cup.. But Salo is one of them...

Archived