The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Flames extend TJ Brodie

Flames announce TJ Brodie's five-year extension, reportedly worth $4.6 million per. Brodie has 7 pts in 6-game pt streak to start season.

CALGARY, AB – The Calgary Flames announced today that they have signed defenceman TJ Brodie to a five-year contract.

A native of Chatham, Ontario, Brodie has started the season with three goals and four assists for a six game point streak which is the longest in the NHL this season and a career high. His 176 minutes of ice time lead all players in the NHL and his seven points are tops amongst NHL defencemen. Brodie, a Flames fourth round pick in the 2008 NHL Draft, has amassed 11 goals and 55 assists for 66 points in 192 career games.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=735366

I haven't seen too much of Brodie's play to determine whether he's worth 4.6 per but, this seems like an overpayment..

In some advanced statistics, he was the 2nd best D-man in the league last season (behind only Giordano).

Brodie and Jake Muzzin are the next Vlasics - guys who nobody expected to be more than bottom-4/depth D-men, but ended up being bona fide top-pairing beasts.

Solid deal for Brodie. Tanev's gonna get $$$$ next off season.

Brodie has been scoring twice as many points as Tanev, and Brodie looks like he's taking it to a whole new level.

Sure, it's not all points, and Tanev is quite high on many advanced stat charts - but Brodie is even higher.

Tanev is a solid D-man, but anything over 3 is an overpayment (3.5 if long-term).

Currently above P.P.G., fast skater, works well with Gio on the top pairing of an actually decent Flames team (huh, how often do you hear that, flames fans? :P)

Seriously though, decent deal. Though he's now more expensive than Hamhuis for us, he'll be a rock for them for years, seeing how he's only 24.

Surprised he didn't go the bridge route. Great price even if he doesn't get better than he is right now.

I'm not if Cgy's going to throw that money at him at this point. At this rate they're making Giordano an $8mil per guy.

Say what you want about Gillis, but he schooled most of these competing GM's with contracts, overall.

Giordano likely walks at ufa in 2 years

I expect him to be traded at some point, next season's deadline at the latest.

He's going to be past his prime by the time the Flames are good enough to win. So might as well get assets for him once he's done grooming Brodie.

Brodie's looking like a stud so far this year.

I'm not if Cgy's going to throw that money at him at this point. At this rate they're making Giordano an $8mil per guy.

Say what you want about Gillis, but he schooled most of these competing GM's with contracts, overall.

LOL, I'm sure Lou agree's. #thanxMike! :towel:

Lou aside, Mike's legacy was the ''good'' contracts he took on rather than gave out. Then would not flush. #thanxboothnballard :huh:

Brodie's looking like a stud so far this year.

LOL, I'm sure Lou agree's. #thanxMike! :towel:

Lou aside, Mike's legacy was the ''good'' contracts he took on rather than gave out. Then would not flush. #thanxboothnballard :huh:

Without that Lu contract we're likely not going to the finals in 2011. He didn't write Ballard's contract, but taking it on wasn't a big deal en route to the finals that year with Salo out. I think people just remember the inevitable decline as opposed to the good times. Shame.

I'd argue that without Giordano, Brodie doesn't come close to earning this contract yet.

Archived