The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Playoff Push; Deadline nucks-yotes

To Vancouver:
Antoine Vermette

To Arizona:
2015 2nd round pick
conditional 2016 5th (becomes 4th if re-signs)
One of Matthais/Dorsett/Sestito

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Vey
Higgins - Vermette - Kassian
Matthais - Richardson - Hansen
Dorsett/Sestito

***This trade is in the scenario that Vancouver is in the hunt for a playoff spot while Arizona has fallen out of the picture.

Simple trade, Vermette is an absolute Canuck killer and would be a great rental for the team.

i like vermette but i really think willie d wants to see how horvat will do after his conditioning stint is up so if we traded for vermette richardson would be trade bait how about richardson and hansen for vermette id rather not trade draft picks next yrs draft is super deep

sedin sedin vrbata

burrows bonino higgins

kassian horvat vey

dorsett vermette mattias looks like a decent lineup down middle plus our 4th lines more like a good 3rd line with vermette centering it

To Vancouver:

Antoine Vermette

To Arizona:

2015 2nd round pick

***This trade is in the scenario that Vancouver is in the hunt for a playoff spot while Arizona has fallen out of the picture.

Simple trade, Vermette is an absolute Canuck killer and would be a great rental for the team.

I think one has to take a look at goals. I believe this proposal goes against what the Canucks should be doing.

Taking on a rental player by definition improves the team immediately, sacrificing something in the future. Trading youth, including picks, for a 32 year old does the same thing.

Is Vermette so good the Canucks would become a Cup contender? (Hopefully you agree he is not enough to get the current Canucks team to that level.)

If he isn't, let's look five years down the road. Vermette at that time will either be out of the league or just hanging on. He'll be worth nothing at that time-even if re-signed. (And if he doesn't re-sign, Canucks have nothing for their trade in 1 year.)

Matthias is 31-he may or may not be producing in 5 years.

The 2nd round pick will either work out or not-if it works out, the player would be just starting to produce.

Meanwhile, the Canucks may move up a spot or two in the standings this year, getting a slightly later pick in each round. That may or may not matter-but it could.

To be perfectly clear, I don't think the Canucks are anywhere near good enough right now to be considering rental players. Further, sacrificing anything young just to try to squeak into the last playoff spot is an approach that if continued with other deals with similar thinking would doom the franchise to mediocrity for the next decade.

I don't care about being slightly less mediocre now. I don't want the Canucks to be mediocre for the foreseeable future.

tyhee

There are a few reasons why I think he would make this team a contender.

1. He is consistently one of the best face off guys in the league. I would feel a lot more confortable with Bonino, Vermette, Richardson taking as many D zone faceoffs as possible.

2. More than 1/10 of his goals are SH, while Vancouver has had a decent PK over the sedin years SH goals have been hard to come by. Burrows manages them but you need a guy that is just as dangerous on the is on the PK as at ES.

3. He is a known canuck killer, he almost single handedly made arizona competitive against our team. Having him for the two games after the TD may make a difference in the standings.

4. He evens out our middle 6. Matthais and Vey are not great faceoff guys and need to be on wing, and there is absolutely no reason Richardson should be on the 3rd line. He is also injury insurance if Bonino or Sedin are injured. He is very capable of a solid 19 minutes a game.

5. If he re-signs great. Having Henrik, Bonino, and Vermette down the middle for the next 3 years while easing guys like Horvat and Gaunce on to the team is not a downside to me.

6. We need more french canadians. :)

There are a few reasons why I think he would make this team a contender.

1. He is consistently one of the best face off guys in the league. I would feel a lot more confortable with Bonino, Vermette, Richardson taking as many D zone faceoffs as possible.

2. More than 1/10 of his goals are SH, while Vancouver has had a decent PK over the sedin years SH goals have been hard to come by. Burrows manages them but you need a guy that is just as dangerous on the is on the PK as at ES.

3. He is a known canuck killer, he almost single handedly made arizona competitive against our team. Having him for the two games after the TD may make a difference in the standings.

4. He evens out our middle 6. Matthais and Vey are not great faceoff guys and need to be on wing, and there is absolutely no reason Richardson should be on the 3rd line. He is also injury insurance if Bonino or Sedin are injured. He is very capable of a solid 19 minutes a game.

5. If he re-signs great. Having Henrik, Bonino, and Vermette down the middle for the next 3 years while easing guys like Horvat and Gaunce on to the team is not a downside to me.

6. We need more french canadians. :)

Good points.

I just don't believe that a rebuilding (i.e. non-Cup winning) team should trade future assets for present improvement which is less than enough to actually have a chance to win the Cup-and I don't believe the Canucks are presently remotely close to being a Cup winning team.

Being better from March, 2015 through early May, 2015 should not, imo, be a goal worth giving up a 2nd round pick for.

I wouldn't do it strictly because of what happened when we traded for Derek Roy. This team has needs, and 3rd line center is far from a priority. I don't want to get this guy, lose in the playoffs, and have him bolt. He's not a long term need so I wouldn't want him to re-sign either. And I certainly don't think the difference between him, and whoever is 3C at the time of the trade, is enough to make us a Stanley Cup winner. We have tons of veteran leadership on the team. No we just need guys who can win.

To Vancouver:

Antoine Vermette

To Arizona:

2015 2nd round pick

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Vey

Higgins - Vermette - Kassian

Matthais - Richardson - Hansen

Dorsett/Sestito

Were already looking for rentals??? lmao

Archived