The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long until they fix the 2nd line!

desiboynux4lifee*******

Burrows and Kassian need to be switched on the lines they play on. Burrows has been lost out there for a long time and is getting really frustrating to watch.

Yeah, Burr can be highly effective as a third line winger, and I love the guy but its time to put him in a role he's suited for...without the chemistry of the twins he's a third liner....and he could be a great one

I'd love to see

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Vey Bonino Kassian

Higgins Horvat Burrows

Hansen Richie Dorsett/Matthias

Don't know why so many people downgrade Higgins so much. He can be a good second line winger IMO, and has worked nicely with Nick Bonino. I do agree with Burrows though, he just isn't that 30 goal scorer anymore, especially without Henrik and Daniel. I would suggest putting a more skilled guy on the 2nd line RW spot, Burrows to the third to play more of a checking role.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Higgins-Bonino-Vey

Burrows-Richardson-Kassian

Dorsett-Matthias-Hansen

Higgins scored one goal in the last 25 games last year man...he's a number 7/8 forward not top six.

Kassian was our best forward post all star break

His shooting percentage over the last 3 years puts him in the top 20 over that period

Therefore he needs more ice, more shots and will contribute

Its time to end the 3rd liner to 2nd line experiment.

Play our third liners on the third line and let the young players emerge. The third line will be one of the best in the NHL if we do that and we may get more effective offensive support from the 2nd, certainly no worse

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Vey Bonino Kassian

Higgins Horvat Burrows

Hansen Richardson Matthias/Dorsett

Guest Cuporbust2

I enjoy our two third lines, but until we get a consistent 2nd line winger then this is just how it's going to be for now. Might be time for a call up or two.

Nobody in Utica is going to do any better at this point. You don't call up a kid that isn't ready just for the sake of change. If they wana fix this line they need a serious trade

Nobody in Utica is going to do any better at this point. You don't call up a kid that isn't ready just for the sake of change. If they wana fix this line they need a serious trade

I think we have some kids that are ready, not for second line duties on a cup team but for us yes.

Don't know why so many people downgrade Higgins so much. He can be a good second line winger IMO, and has worked nicely with Nick Bonino. I do agree with Burrows though, he just isn't that 30 goal scorer anymore, especially without Henrik and Daniel. I would suggest putting a more skilled guy on the 2nd line RW spot, Burrows to the third to play more of a checking role.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Higgins-Bonino-Vey

Burrows-Richardson-Kassian

Dorsett-Matthias-Hansen

The reason is because teams need to fear you as a scoring threat. Higgins may get goals every year but it's at the expense of someone else getting more. He is average speed, doesn't gain the zone fast and doesn't add a jolt to the game. He's gritty, he's really good but he does't do it on his own. The problem is the other guy doesn't either. He can be a great complimentary second winger but he's leading the charge and teams read us and prepare easily because of it.

In other words does many things well but nothing dynamically.

The reason is because teams need to fear you as a scoring threat. Higgins may get goals every year but it's at the expense of someone else getting more. He is average speed, doesn't gain the zone fast and doesn't add a jolt to the game. He's gritty, he's really good but he does't do it on his own. The problem is the other guy doesn't either. He can be a great complimentary second winger but he's leading the charge and teams read us and prepare easily because of it.

In other words does many things well but nothing dynamically.

and this can actually work if the team plays a very hard/ defensive focused game....

funny how as much as people hate torts, he certainly was right...there isn't the players here to play the style willie / fans / mgmt wants...

torts saw that and figured the only way to win was play a hard, defensive focused game...problem is we dont have those type of players either...

i think the reality is, fans need to accept we are in transition here....we are a 'tweener' team, that needs an injection of the youth who are not ready, and until they are we will struggle with an identity and also have to play a solid team game to get to the playoffs...

I think linden and benning did a good job marketing and spinning change this year but really we've seen very little change that addressed the holes we had...we've replaced but not improved much...

the hope was the twins/burr/edler and a team improvement overall would get us to the playoffs...what we are seeing now is simply blaming those few players wasn't correct, our issues are deeper.

we are not a fast, counter attack team like we were in 2011

we are not a young fast team that plays with energy

we are not a big bruising team that can punish...

that's the nhl now..you have to be one of those above to be successful...

I love these guys, and want to see them succeed, and its not that they lost tonight that bothers me, its how they lost...too earily similar to last year....a few more of these bad losses and the demons in their heads come back...

lets hope for a great bounce back on thursday and maybe a goalie who steals us a game if needed

Burrows and Higgins aren't really "good" 2nd liners, I do think they can be better but I guess this is how it's going to be without Kesler. Hot streaks will happen and you'll see them have good games but I think we're relying on our 1st line to score goals. When the playoffs come, if we make it I think we'll see a first round exit for the reason that we don't have enough secondary scoring.

Gotta hope one of the rookies (Jensen or Shinkaruk) get rolling in the A and join the team at some point.

Probably our best bet at getting something going on our 2nd line without trading anything.

people need to accept that this team is years away from contending.

the team lacks:

skill

speed

physicality

defensive structure

the ability to win faceoffs

offense/speed/creativity from the back end

personality an enthusiasm

be patient or be frustrated, its up to you.

I've been "patient" since 1975.

I don't care what it takes - just get it done all ready.

I don't know what CDC thinks is an ideal second liner production should be, but Higgins has consistently scored 15-20 goals, since he was acquired. If that's isn't a second liner production, then I don't know what is.

Leave them in Utica unless we run into major injuries, especially if we start losing a lot of games.

Utica has a decent team this year that they are a big part of. I don't want us to develop Oilers.

The 2nd line will most likely find its combo of players and develop chemistry. Hell, we only played 5 games.

I don't know what CDC thinks is an ideal second liner production should be, but Higgins has consistently scored 15-20 goals, since he was acquired. If that's isn't a second liner production, then I don't know what is.

No one is question Higgins at this point. Were questioning the 2nd line as a whole. We have played 5 games, and our 2nd line of Higgy, Bones, and Burrows has a combined 5 points. I'm ok with that from our 4th or 3rd line, but the sad reality is were gonna lose a lot of games if that production lasts all season long. Our 3rd line of Rich, Kass, and Vey has combined for 8 points in 5 games. Our 3rd line is outproducing our 2nd line. I think that's where we have an issue. Our 3rd line is doing what we need them to do. We need to figure out a way to get our 2nd line going.

No one is question Higgins at this point. Were questioning the 2nd line as a whole. We have played 5 games, and our 2nd line of Higgy, Bones, and Burrows has a combined 5 points. I'm ok with that from our 4th or 3rd line, but the sad reality is were gonna lose a lot of games if that production lasts all season long. Our 3rd line of Rich, Kass, and Vey has combined for 8 points in 5 games. Our 3rd line is outproducing our 2nd line. I think that's where we have an issue. Our 3rd line is doing what we need them to do. We need to figure out a way to get our 2nd line going.

LA's top line has 4 points in 6 games, so what?

Everyone needs to pump the brakes a bit. It's understandable to be concerned after the last 2 games, but we were riding a little high after the first 3. This team is somewhere in the middle of that right now, and they'll be a bit better towards the middle of the season when they're more comfortable in Desjardin's system.

Everyone needs to pump the brakes a bit. It's understandable to be concerned after the last 2 games, but we were riding a little high after the first 3. This team is somewhere in the middle of that right now, and they'll be a bit better towards the middle of the season when they're more comfortable in Desjardin's system.

Well

Vs Alberta 3-0

Vs NHL teams 0-2

Thats concern cause we only can win against Alberta and we cant make the playoffs like that

Well

Vs Alberta 3-0

Vs NHL teams 0-2

Thats concern cause we only can win against Alberta and we cant make the playoffs like that

Calgary is not a bad team. They are 4-3-1. Meaning they defeated 3 NHL teams (one of them is Edmonton, which doesn't count).

I'd say Calgary is an NHL team. So we are, 2-0 vs Edmonton and 1-2 vs NHL teams.

Archived