The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long until they fix the 2nd line!

desiboynux4lifee*******

Did you watch any of the games? I didn't so I can't say this for sure how there doing but if your going off points alone without seeing the games you could be 100% wrong as far as how they have been playing.

I'm sorry but we need skilled players on this team who can get us points. We have enough "hard working" guys who barely scratch the score sheet. I don't think it's quite time to call up the young guys yet, but it won't be long.

I'm sorry but we need skilled players on this team who can get us points. We have enough "hard working" guys who barely scratch the score sheet. I don't think it's quite time to call up the young guys yet, but it won't be long.

There are 2 things we need...and I agree...

1. Players who can 'drive offense and create'...right now we really only have Henrik who does that. Kassian can but is not being given the chance, when he has been given some rope we've seen he really can create opportunities.

2. Players that have the hands to finish at key points. It appears with all of our grinders we have alot of stone hands players, guys who can score garbage and while that matters in the NHL as many goals are scored that way, you can't assume ALL goals are scored that way.

Look at Vrbata, he gets a chance, he snipes, or at worst creates a rebound, forces the goalie out of position for a garbage collector to score. We have too many garbage collectors.

Last night, 46/47 shots, whatever it was, 3 goals = 6.5% shooting percentage...that is what many defenseman shoot at percentage wise...that tells the story.

Reality is, that our 2nd line is really third line players. It is time to allow our youth to have a chance in the situations they are built for and support them with a strong 3rd and 4th lines. They can still be sheltered on the second. Much as Coho was put in offensive situations.

Why not create a 3rd line in the 'old school' checking mode that goes against a teams top line, and have the Sedins match up vs the 2nd line. That leaves a young gun second line with a decent match up and allows them to help create offense and drive opportunity.

I get why you need to shelter, I get why you need to develop, but game/line management, while harder on coaches can still accomplish the same things and allow us to score more, have more excitement as fans and help the players develop.

Personally, its time in my view. Call up Jensen, Bring back Bo when he's finished his conditioning and these should be the lines.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Jensen Bonino Kassian (let them play)

Higgins Richardson Burrows (will be the best 3rd line in the NHL and can be a real shut down group, with the ability to pop 15 goals each as counter attack players)

Vey Horvat Hansen (developmental line that can still play and contribute...Vey gives horvat someone to play with, Hansen/Matthias/Dorsett sub in and out)

Matthias/Dorsett

Kassian deserves a shot

Based on what? Third coach to see that he is lazy and inconsistent yet the Kassian fan club can't or won't let the Kassian is a top 6 player mantra die.

Kassian needs to play on the third line. It takes the pressure off him, allows him to learn what is required to be a professional and should add further incentive to work harder to push for a top 6 spot.

He isn't owed squat and hasn't shown enough hunger at all. He is developing slowly, 3 NHL coaches can see this...why the hell can't the fans see it?

5 games in. Give the 2nd line time to develop chemistry. Not time to panic yet.

There are 2 things we need...and I agree...

1. Players who can 'drive offense and create'...right now we really only have Henrik who does that. Kassian can but is not being given the chance, when he has been given some rope we've seen he really can create opportunities.

2. Players that have the hands to finish at key points. It appears with all of our grinders we have alot of stone hands players, guys who can score garbage and while that matters in the NHL as many goals are scored that way, you can't assume ALL goals are scored that way.

Look at Vrbata, he gets a chance, he snipes, or at worst creates a rebound, forces the goalie out of position for a garbage collector to score. We have too many garbage collectors.

Last night, 46/47 shots, whatever it was, 3 goals = 6.5% shooting percentage...that is what many defenseman shoot at percentage wise...that tells the story.

Reality is, that our 2nd line is really third line players. It is time to allow our youth to have a chance in the situations they are built for and support them with a strong 3rd and 4th lines. They can still be sheltered on the second. Much as Coho was put in offensive situations.

Why not create a 3rd line in the 'old school' checking mode that goes against a teams top line, and have the Sedins match up vs the 2nd line. That leaves a young gun second line with a decent match up and allows them to help create offense and drive opportunity.

I get why you need to shelter, I get why you need to develop, but game/line management, while harder on coaches can still accomplish the same things and allow us to score more, have more excitement as fans and help the players develop.

Personally, its time in my view. Call up Jensen, Bring back Bo when he's finished his conditioning and these should be the lines.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Jensen Bonino Kassian (let them play)

Higgins Richardson Burrows (will be the best 3rd line in the NHL and can be a real shut down group, with the ability to pop 15 goals each as counter attack players)

Vey Horvat Hansen (developmental line that can still play and contribute...Vey gives horvat someone to play with, Hansen/Matthias/Dorsett sub in and out)

Matthias/Dorsett

I totally agree. Great post. I would think that one of Higgins or Burrows get traded by the deadline, our lines then could be:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Jensen-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins/Burrows-Richardon-Vey

Dorsett/Mathias-Horvat-Hansen

for this team to be a contender, it needs to be structured as such:

sedin-sedin-vrbata

_____-_____-_____

higgins-bonino-hansen

matthias-richardson-kassian

edler-tanev

hamhuis-_____

stanton-bieksa

2nd line center needs to be dominant in the faceoff circle and a consistent 60+ point player, preferably with size and physicality.

2nd pair right side d needs to be fast, smooth, creative, and consistently put up 40+ points while quarterbacking power play.

This is the only scenario that is feasible in my books (one that could actually make this happen)

Hope that Shinkaruk-Horvat-Jensen become 2nd line players by next year.

Trade Burrows, 2016 1st, Vey for Dustin Byfuglien and a pick.

This is the only scenario that is feasible in my books (one that could actually make this happen)

Surely you are kidding. That's never happening in a million years. Burrows may fetch you a third.

Notgillis has made some good moves and some bad moves, this would be a bad move. Vrbata and Vey are his best moves, please don't trade Vey. Trading for Byfuglien would be like signing Miller for 6 mil during a rebuild. I hope Notgillis stays the course, sucks up the Miller signing and lets the prospects come up. If anything, I hope he acquires picks for 2015.

We have skilled players on the farm last time I checked? Skilled guys don't always score, you'd have to watch the games to get a feel for how they have been playing. Who knows they could have run into a few hot goalies and Jensen could been robbed for 4 or 5 goals and hit 6 posts already this year. Just saying that looking at the scoresheet alone is not telling a lot after only 4 games.

Based on what? Third coach to see that he is lazy and inconsistent yet the Kassian fan club can't or won't let the Kassian is a top 6 player mantra die.

Kassian needs to play on the third line. It takes the pressure off him, allows him to learn what is required to be a professional and should add further incentive to work harder to push for a top 6 spot.

He isn't owed squat and hasn't shown enough hunger at all. He is developing slowly, 3 NHL coaches can see this...why the hell can't the fans see it?

5 games in. Give the 2nd line time to develop chemistry. Not time to panic yet.

Who's the third coach? If it's only 5 games in and not time to panic then surely it is not enough time to label Willy D's use of Kassian.

Kassian's former coach in Ottawa Says HI.

I'm sure his grade 5 teacher has something to say as well. I'm sorry, I thought we talking NHL. Not to mention he played in Peterborough and Windsor in Junior, I'm not sure when he played in Ottawa.

Man, I love CDC.

"When will they fix the 2nd line?"

"When will we get a 3rd line center?"

"When will we get a puck moving defenseman?"

"When will they start rolling four lines?"

"When will they get a proper winger for the Sedin's?"

"When, when, when?"

When.

Man, I love CDC.

1.) "When will they fix the 2nd line?"

2.) "When will we get a 3rd line center?"

3.) "When will we get a puck moving defenseman?"

4.) "When will they start rolling four lines?"

5.) "When will they get a proper winger for the Sedin's?"

"When, when, when"

When.

1.) When the prospects are ready

2.) We have one now, we traded Kesler for him.

3.) When Notgillis trades Hansen and Burrows for PK Subban

4.) This year

5.) YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! Vrbata looks like 35 goal Burr.

I am so confused ... Did folks here really think that this team was a contender this year ?? wow ... I am the biggest canuck fan I know but at least I live in the real world . This is just part of the growing pains of a rebuild .. yeah , its gonna be a tough year but thats how bad teams get better . We will pick high in a solid draft and the kids we already have will have only have gotten better by next year .. maybe Im crazy but this is actually kinda fun to watch as a fan .

Lets face it , almost every team we face this year got better in the offseason . Most were better than us before they even made changes .

I believe that benning and trevor already knew this , and brought in miller and vrbata to at least give the team hope each night . They have done exactly that for the most part .

pardon the pun but Its a process people

Well it's going to take more time kid like a year or two to fix the mess

I agree with the overall point, but think the Canucks would be incredibly lucky for it to be only a year or two.

The Canucks are really a mess. To illustrate, consider what their level would be if the twins were to be hurt or fade to a hanging on level with age. Take them out of the lineup entirely and what is this team like?

The core is old by NHL standards.

Would anyone argue that the twins, Vrbata and Hamhuis are the best or nearly the best players on the Canucks? They are 34, 34, 33 and almost 31 (52 days short of 32.)

Other over-30 players include Burrows (33), Bieksa (33) and Higgins (31.)

Does anyone want to argue that any of them will be as good in two years as they are now?

Richardson is 29, Hansen 28. They can be solid defensively but aren't ever going to be very good scorers-in fact, they're already at an age where average offensive production goes down.

Players at or entering their prime years include the much maligned Edler (28), Tanev (soon to be 25), Sbisa (24), Weber (26), Stanton (25), Bonino (26), Matthias (26), the enigmatic (will he or won't he) Kassian (26), Dorsett (27), Vey (23) and Sestito (27.)

Of the skaters in their prime years, it seems to me that the only one who has proven he can play at a very high level is Edler, who is coming off a disastrous season. My read on the rest of them is:

-Bonino, Stanton, Tanev are solid players and will remain so without achieving stardom

-Kassian could be a star, or he could be an enigmatic contributor-he's still developing

-if Vey doesn't get better at faceoffs or learn how to play wing he's going to be marginal

-similarly for Sbisa-he still needs to develop consistency in positioning and with the puck to be better than marginal

-Weber, Mattias, Dorsett and Sestito are and will remain marginal players

What does this mean? Our really good players are old. Our prime age players don't form a core one can build a team around. As our old players get older, their contributions will decrease-and there's isn't enough under them to replace them.

The point of all this? Our best players are old and what is coming up behind them, the players supposedly in their prime NHL years, are not. When our old players are no longer on top, what is behind them is a massive void with a few hopeful bright spots.

That leaves, of course, the prospects-who in a year or two will still be young players, most of them still trying to establish that they can play in the NHL. That's no knock on the prospects-other than that there is no Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux or Crosby there-but simply a function of age and experience.

Since our old players are aging and the players behind them don't appear good enough to carry a team to a high level, that leaves waiting until the prospects are near their prime-which is more than a year or two away, or hoping to get exceptionally lucky in the trade/free agent market.

Archived