The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver 3 Dallas 6

Dumb Nuck

Massively impressed with our boys. More bizarre goals than I've ever seen in a game. We took over in the 2nd despite being down 5 goals. And while I can't blame the refs for the loss (that honour goes to lady luck) it was staggering how poor they were. Waving off 2 goals show just how hard someone was trying to earn some brownie points by playing the NHL favourites game.

6-3 is not bad given the bounces. I see a lot of promise and a lot more heart than in past years. Willie isn't giving them and flack for that, including Miller.

Doing that accomplishes nothing because you have no plan to get a Selke and a PMD. They can only be acquired through a trade or draft and will not hit the FA market. In a trade it is guaranteed to cost most likely both horvat and shink to acquire. Only thing we can do is wait for horvat to be come the two way center and draft a PMD which we don't require cap-space to do

its like create capspace-> magic -> selke and pmd. Middle portion missing and possibly impossible to achieve at this moment.

In typical Chalky fashion I was being facetious and referencing Trading Kesler and Garrison. I'm not saying we should have kept either of them....but we should have kept both of them. I'm sure the diva Kesler was a pain in Benning's behind, but he could have been broken and forced to play until a better trade came along. I'm not hating on Bonino though, he could be good in time, but ATM he is a 3rd line center. Trading Garrison for Miller (yes, I know, but that was the outcome) was foolhardy for a team that was only going to push for the playoffs in Benning and Linden's minds. I'm actually very proud of the way the team is playing given our roster. I cant wait to see Horvat in the line-up. I'm not giving up, but I'm done with false hope.

FYI, I have been taking council with the Underpants Gnomes to come to my conclusions.

underpants-gnomes-o.gif

Glad we showed we are better than Dallas. Seriously Dallas defence is probably the worst in the central.

Out chanced and out shot them. Can't blame Miller on some of the goals. Lehtonen was phenomenal, had it not been for him, we actually may have won 7 6 lol.

Willie should have used his timeout after the 4th goal and brought in Eddie. So the game down... But it's a rookie head coach mistake I guess. Hopefully he actually uses his timeouts in the future. Why would you tell Eddie to get ready while Miller can see it and he's still in? In fact, he could have just called in Eddie without using a time out. Could have used the timeout later for the 5 on 3.

Anyways, not an alarming loss. Hope Miller can bounce back right away.

Miller did have an awful night but I can't blame it entirely on him. There was absolutely no way for him to make the save when he was tangled up with Tanev and that last goal was a weird bounce off his stick. Hopefully this one doesn't affect his confidence too much in the long run.

On a brighter note, Daniel Sedin currently has the quietest point streak in the NHL right now. 8 points in 5 games and he looks like he's finally recovered from the concussion :) .

Glad we showed we are better than Dallas. Seriously Dallas defence is probably the worst in the central.

Out chanced and out shot them. Can't blame Miller on some of the goals. Lehtonen was phenomenal, had it not been for him, we actually may have won 7 6 lol.

Willie should have used his timeout after the 4th goal and brought in Eddie. So the game down... But it's a rookie head coach mistake I guess. Hopefully he actually uses his timeouts in the future. Why would you tell Eddie to get ready while Miller can see it and he's still in? In fact, he could have just called in Eddie without using a time out. Could have used the timeout later for the 5 on 3.

Anyways, not an alarming loss. Hope Miller can bounce back right away.

Only becomes alarming if we lose the same way vs St Louis, or others...this was scary in that this was reminiscent of last year...we can't allow games to get away like that early...if they do, after last year the demons in many vet's heads may re appear and the media and fans will cause a snowball of negativity around this group.

We need a big win in St Lous tomorrow to just shake this bad loss away. I suspect we will see a much stronger game from the boys, but a big test coming for sure. Will test that mental toughness, resilance, etc...which if we show we have, will actually help this team build its identity, its team concept and mental strength that will help if we make the playoffs.

There are always stinkers every year, just didn't need one this early vs our first real test, when confidence was still shaky after last year for so many....

Lets see how the boys rebound thursday, and hope they do in convincing fashion

Really unlikely to win when you go down 5-0 early, but I respect the way they competed all the way until the bitter end. Ugly defense yet somehow the only dmen to get plus's in this game were Weber and Sbisa.

I like the way the Canucks offense works this year. Less sending dumping the puck in and having everyone into the corners and battle for the puck, leaving no one in the good scoring areas. Willie allows the forwards to carry the puck more and have someone try to set up for a quality shot. We still have a tendency to make goalies look better than they actually are. Willies system should help us score more goals than last year, even with the players we currently have, but it would be nice to add another top 6 sniper to the mix.

I like the idea of trying Vey-Bonino-Kassian as the second line, at least for a couple games to see if it would work. Burrows-Richardson-Higgins would be a great shut down 3rd line with some offensive ability. That second line would be unproven but I still think it'd be worth a try.

"We had some unfortunate bounces tonight. Benn's shot goes off my blocker then my stick. That's never happened to me." - Miller

I felt sorry for Miller. Between this, Burrows' own-goal, and Tanev completely taking him out, it was a complete mess he could do nothing about.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. I feel the Canucks could experience a lot of games that get out of hand this year. Not big or physical enough to compete with the heavy teams, and not fast enough to compete with the quicker puck-moving teams. The Canucks are right now caught in the middle, with an older roster. It's no man's land and a bad place to be.

In typical Chalky fashion I was being facetious and referencing Trading Kesler and Garrison. I'm not saying we should have kept either of them....but we should have kept both of them. I'm sure the diva Kesler was a pain in Benning's behind, but he could have been broken and forced to play until a better trade came along. I'm not hating on Bonino though, he could be good in time, but ATM he is a 3rd line center. Trading Garrison for Miller (yes, I know, but that was the outcome) was foolhardy for a team that was only going to push for the playoffs in Benning and Linden's minds. I'm actually very proud of the way the team is playing given our roster. I cant wait to see Horvat in the line-up. I'm not giving up, but I'm done with false hope.

FYI, I have been taking council with the Underpants Gnomes to come to my conclusions.

underpants-gnomes-o.gif

Kesler had to be traded. He didn't want to be here and would have become a huge distraction in the dressing room.

The Garrison would not have made the outcome of the 2 losses any different. The team was top heavy in NTC and the D had too many high priced players. Someone had to go.

Miller (like Vrbata) was brought in to support the team. Gives them hope and wins games. A Lack/Marks tandem would have been an all time low in the dressing room.

Good to see you're done with false hopes. Maybe you will be done with your negative posts as well?

Despite the losses, the Nucks have played with more push back and hard work than they have for quite some time. I am enjoying seeing some heart and commitment on this team. They are also skating well.

Kesler had to be traded. He didn't want to be here and would have become a huge distraction in the dressing room.

The Garrison would not have made the outcome of the 2 losses any different. The team was top heavy in NTC and the D had too many high priced players. Someone had to go.

Miller (like Vrbata) was brought in to support the team. Gives them hope and wins games. A Lack/Marks tandem would have been an all time low in the dressing room.

Good to see you're done with false hopes. Maybe you will be done with your negative posts as well?

Despite the losses, the Nucks have played with more push back and hard work than they have for quite some time. I am enjoying seeing some heart and commitment on this team. They are also skating well.

I'm sorry to say my negative posts are the result of my perception that we are not moving in the right direction and are likely not ending soon. I think people are jumping the Benning bandwagon because he's not Gillis. I see the Kesler trade and the Miller signing as bad moves. He has made some good moves too, but he played softball where he needed hardball with Kesler and Miller.

Kesler did not have to be traded. He was under contract and would have had to offer more options if he wanted out that bad. Notgillis and Linden bent to his will and made a bad trade in my opinion. You know what else is a distraction in the locker room? Losing!

You are right though, Garrison would not have made a difference in the two losses, but I liked his shot and I liked his puck movement despite some defensive gaffes. I'd still rather have Garrison than Miller and not have to rely on It'spizza to be a 5th D and Weber slotting in pretty much anywhere. We have a decent 1-4 but zero depth in the position.

Vrbata was a good pick up, he looks good and so do the Sedins and that comment is in line with everything I've been saying all along. I also like Vey, he is a depth guy and can fit in the roster in a lot of spots.

I will agree to disagree that a Lack/Mark combo would have been an all-time low in the dressing room. I've been a fan for too long to call two decent prospects as a tandem an all-time low.

I also see hard work and heart, and I like it, but I also see wasted cap space and some moves I disagree with not panning out...after 5 games. We'll see how it plays out, in the mean-time my glass is half empty. Only a shot of Horvat can help me now.

Miller did have an awful night but I can't blame it entirely on him. There was absolutely no way for him to make the save when he was tangled up with Tanev and that last goal was a weird bounce off his stick. Hopefully this one doesn't affect his confidence too much in the long run.

On a brighter note, Daniel Sedin currently has the quietest point streak in the NHL right now. 8 points in 5 games and he looks like he's finally recovered from the concussion :) .

Really the only guy I think I would pin on Miller is the one off his stick, which he completely overplayed. Beyond that, the goals were either total flukes, or severe defensive miscues leaving guys wide open. in fact, he made several big saves.

I've been very impressed with his play so far

One game. There's plenty more to come.

I'm glad this happened at the beginning of the season to give Benning, Linden, and Desjardins a true picture of this team and where its clear deficiencies lie.

If the remainder of the road trip continues this way, expect Benning to move some personnel.

That's for sure. The remainder of the trip like this and Miller is gone.

he played softball where he needed hardball with Kesler and Miller.

Wrong.

Kesler wanted out. Everyone knew it. He wasn't going to let it become a distraction like the "Luongo saga".

He did the best he could with a player that demanded a trade and gave him very little options.

Archived