The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’

freebuddy

Rutherford on Fleury: As long as Im the GM, hell be our goalie

Jason Brough Oct 21, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT

From Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:

Writing Fleury column for Wednesday, and check out this quote from Rutherford: 'as long as I'm the GM, he'll be our goalie.' #pens

10:47 AM - 21 Oct 2014

So we suppose youll have to wait until tomorrow (or at least later tonight) to read Rossis column, but that appears to be a pretty strong vote of confidence from general manager Jim Rutherford.

Granted, Rutherford doesnt exactly hold the title of GM For Life in Pittsburgh. In fact, the 65-year-old said upon being hired this past summer that he only expects to serve in the position for two or three years.

Fleury, though, is a pending unrestricted free agent, so theres a good chance that Rutherford will still be the GM when a decision on the goaltending needs to be made. Fleury, 29, is off to a decent start in 2014-15, with a 3-1-0 record and .915 save percentage.

Of course, its not what Fleury does in the regular season that anyone really cares about. Its how he does in the postseason, where hes had his share of struggles in recent years. In 93 career playoff games, despite backstopping the Pens to a Stanley Cup in 2009, his save percentage is a modest .905.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/21/rutherford-on-fleury-as-long-as-im-the-gm-hell-be-our-goalie/

Kiss of death.

Honestly cannot entirely blame him for endless playoff collapses.

Crosby can't score, Malkin disappears and the defense becomes so porous even Edmonton Says "even we aren't that bad"

But Fleury staying, even with the market as saturated as it is for promising young tenders is crazy. Get better, younger for cheaper or keep Fleury?

Hmmm

At this point, what alternative do they have? They get rid of Fleury, who would they go with? Bryz? Brodeur? It's not as if other teams are willing to part with top goaltenders. Well, there is one team willing to do that...

At this point, what alternative do they have? They get rid of Fleury, who would they go with? Bryz? Brodeur? It's not as if other teams are willing to part with top goaltenders. Well, there is one team willing to do that...

+1 for lulz

I dunno, maybe, you know, make a trade?

I dunno, maybe, you know, make a trade?

:picard:

Doesn't change exactly what my point was, which was incredibly clear. "What team is willing to part with a top goaltender?"

Cam Ward is no better than Fleury, and Pavelec is no better than a winger playing goal. What other team in the NHL, that you know of, is willing to part with a goaltender that is better than Fleury?

Thought so.

it was probably one of the worst teams to win a cup in the modern era

Not only that, but it happened over 8 years ago. Have nothing against Cam Ward, but what has he done since then?

As unreliable as Fleury has been, Ward is certainly not an upgrade.

Archived