The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jensen on the 2nd line

Off_The_Schneid!

Jensen and Horvat in my opinion have not earned a spot on the big club. Their chance to shine was in the preseason and I don't think that happened as they are not playing in the NHL. They are not even doing well in the AHL so can't see a reason for them to be called up.

I agree with you.

Before the last two games of the preseason I thought Jensen was making it. His last two preseason games, particularly the last one, were much less impressive.

Until the last preseason game before he was hurt I thought Horvat might make it.

My guess is that the early preseason had quite a few of us thinking some kids belonged on the Canucks even with WD saying at the time the early preseason meant little because many of the players weren't NHL calibre and those games weren't meaningful for those that were.

Jensen and Horvat in my opinion have not earned a spot on the big club. Their chance to shine was in the preseason and I don't think that happened as they are not playing in the NHL. They are not even doing well in the AHL so can't see a reason for them to be called up. Shinkaruk showed more skills in the preseason than both of them but still needs some seasoning. I bet you wont see any of these players in NHL unless there are injuries or some obvious poor play from one of the regulars. Like Benning said before the season started, these guys will have to show them they belong on the big club and I am not sure they have shown that yet.

Jensen is playing pretty well in Utica actually.

He didn't make the team because of numbers. Unless they wanted to either waive Sestito or send Horvat to juniors, there was no way that they could keep him on the roster.

Green said himself that Jensen will be back with the big club soon. My guess is they wanna make a decision with Horvat, and then they'll see if they can open a spot for Jensen.

It hadn't occurred to me that anyone would think Higgins had the skill set to be a first line player.

I'm inclined to stand by my point, though. I don't think Higgins has the skillset to be a 1st liner (though he's certainly been good enough to fill in there in a pinch) so don't think it correct to say if Higgins was consistent he'd be a first liner.

t

You do know "OfftheSchneid" that Burr's line has a combined 20pts and 8 goals in 10 games right? The big line has 12 goals. Not sure what else you want from them, they seem to be doing fine.

It's definitely not burrs line, it's the bonino line.

I have always had nothing but great things to say about bonino. I'm saying to maximize the production of that line it needs a goal scorer. Higgins has been playing decent but burrows has missed 10 times the opportunities he's converted and constantly takes dumb penalties usually resulting in us coming off the power play.

So yes your right the production is all right, but it could be better.

Especially the second unit power play which is brutal too watch. They need another goal scorer out there. Jensen would be my ideal candidate because he ups his game in the nhl and has the talent that line needs

Jensen's not even the best player in Utica right now, so I don't know why they would call him up.

Anyways, they need to slot Sestito in as he hasn't played yet this season. I would prefer them to move Vey or Kass up to the 2nd, but it looks like it's going to be Hansen. Hansen will be ok as he is a similar player to Bur and has good speed and defensive IQ against the Oilers.

Jensen's not even the best player in Utica right now, so I don't know why they would call him up.

Anyways, they need to slot Sestito in as he hasn't played yet this season. I would prefer them to move Vey or Kass up to the 2nd, but it looks like it's going to be Hansen. Hansen will be ok as he is a similar player to Bur and has good speed and defensive IQ against the Oilers.

I have only watched one Utica game this year but I thought he was the best player on the ice for both teams? Not excited about Hanson on the second but it's only three games.

So if Derek Dorsett works hard and plays near the best of his ability each night you'd put him on the first line?

The point, of course, is that consistency isn't the same as having first line skills.

People seem to be questioning his production not being consistent enough for a second line role. I never question Higgins effort. Of course every player, even the stars, have bad games. A bad game doesn't always equate to lack of effort either.

It's definitely not burrs line, it's the bonino line.

I have always had nothing but great things to say about bonino. I'm saying to maximize the production of that line it needs a goal scorer. Higgins has been playing decent but burrows has missed 10 times the opportunities he's converted and constantly takes dumb penalties usually resulting in us coming off the power play.

So yes your right the production is all right, but it could be better.

Especially the second unit power play which is brutal too watch. They need another goal scorer out there. Jensen would be my ideal candidate because he ups his game in the nhl and has the talent that line needs

How about some numbers to back this up? How many pp's has Burrows taken us off of compared to others on the team? Some sort of factual comparable is always better for making an argument.

For example Burrows has 2 goals on 17 shots for an 11.8% shooting percentage and missed the net with 5 shots. Higgins has 2 goals on 22 shots for a 9.1% shooting percentage and has missed the net with 7 shots. While Bonino has 4 goals on 24 shots for a 14.3% shooting percentage and has missed the net with 6 shots. Looking at those numbers Higgins appears to be the weakest link when it comes to putting the puck in or on the net. Hansen, who will likely replace Burrows on the 2nd, has 3 goals on 12 shots for a 25% shooting percentage and has missed the net with just 2 shots. Kassian has 2 goals on 14 shots for a 14.3% shooting percentage and has missed the net with 3 shots. This is something tangible to make comparisons.

Btw, Jensen only "upped his game" when he was on with the Sedins. That might of had more to do with the Sedins than his being in the NHL. Once he was moved off the line he was relatively ineffective. If called up he won't be replacing Vrbata on the Sedin line. I'm of the opinion if you're not getting it done in the AHL you haven't earned the call up. If you need scoring you call up the guy that's actually producing.

How about some numbers to back this up? How many pp's has Burrows taken us off of compared to others on the team? Some sort of factual comparable is always better for making an argument.

For example Burrows has 2 goals on 17 shots for an 11.8% shooting percentage and missed the net with 5 shots. Higgins has 2 goals on 22 shots for a 9.1% shooting percentage and has missed the net with 7 shots. While Bonino has 4 goals on 24 shots for a 14.3% shooting percentage and has missed the net with 6 shots. Looking at those numbers Higgins appears to be the weakest link when it comes to putting the puck in or on the net. Hansen, who will likely replace Burrows on the 2nd, has 3 goals on 12 shots for a 25% shooting percentage and has missed the net with just 2 shots. Kassian has 2 goals on 14 shots for a 14.3% shooting percentage and has missed the net with 3 shots. This is something tangible to make comparisons.

Btw, Jensen only "upped his game" when he was on with the Sedins. That might of had more to do with the Sedins than his being in the NHL. Once he was moved off the line he was relatively ineffective. If called up he won't be replacing Vrbata on the Sedin line. I'm of the opinion if you're not getting it done in the AHL you haven't earned the call up. If you need scoring you call up the guy that's actually producing.

I can think of two power plays off the top of my head and that hit last game should have been a penalty resulting in no goal. Would have completely changed the game because that goal was a momentum changer

Unfortunately they don't record blown chances or gimme goals that are missed

Would be one area he leads the team in

I'm of the opinion if you're not getting it done in the AHL you haven't earned the call up. If you need scoring you call up the guy that's actually producing.

So how come Horvat is getting brought up .... not a sungle point in Utica and yet he'll soon appear in a NHL Arena near you

Horvat is being called up because it's either that or send him back to the OHL. He is not eligible to play in the AHL beyond the 2 week conditioning stint. He will get his 9 games in the NHL and likely be sent back to junior unless he really over-achieves/impresses.

So how come Horvat is getting brought up .... not a sungle point in Utica and yet he'll soon appear in a NHL Arena near you

I get your point, however, the two situations are not the same. :)

Horvat is coming up for his 9 game tryout, something which he would already have completed had he not been onjured. Jensen is already past that point. I have to go, but others will likely fill you in on the difference. (Too late. See above)

regards,

G.

Anyways guys this is not possible. We are stuck with vets not willing to move their ntc.

Hansen, higgins, burrows.

Because they would not allow a trade we would have to waive sestito. As it is that will probably happen when horvat is ready.

This means another person would have to be waived or traded to give a roster spot to jensen.

Waiving someone with a ntc would be bad for business, no one would want to sign here again.

That means we would have to waive or trade one of: kassian, vey, matthias, dorsett or richardson

All pieces that benning likes and won't give up.

And even if benning made a move to open the spot up dorsett would be the one sitting meaning benning traded a 3rd round pick in order to give dorsett season tickets.

Face it guys we are fracked up by the ntc that mg left us with. Horvat will be the only young gun this year.

I dont't believe in that...

If Hansen is sitting like Sestito was I'm 100% positive he would waive his no trade clause. Going between the 4th line & press box is a guaranteed player wanting out himself.

Especially if he was already approached to waive that clause. If your not in the plans it wouldn't be a smart move on the player stay, he's much better off to get a fresh start then to turn himself into a bench warmer...

Archived